DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoTonPrime and DM expansion

PiedPiper

I'm certain the WoT fandom will expand when the TV show is released (unless it's a bad show... please, dear God, let it be a good TV show for the sake of the creators' health, because if it isn't they will go to sleep one evening and never wake up, and my fingerprints will be all over the crime scene and I'd rather not go to jail). Hypotheses on the expansion of the DM community? Do you wonder if there'll be a tonal shift as more non-readers join?

I do think readers will have to navigate the differences between the two more, but I don't think it'll change the tone much. I see it as opportunity for non-readers to grow their knowledge, as well as readers to expand the way they see things. I think it's going to make for some really great discussions. I know I personally enjoy chatting about the differences between book and show, and understanding why the creative process has to be different when adapting. Plus, I also enjoy hearing how others interpret what they watch, and compare it to my own interpretation from what I've both read and watched. I can't WAIT!

PS: Does anyone else think of wontons when they see WoTonPrime?

ollgZTI.jpg

I've never thought of wontons before, but I will now!

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to imply that the changes will be negative by default. But I will be interested to see opinions on the show from someone who's never read WoT and will think of it as a show first and an adaptation second, rather than instinctively comparing it to the books.

I actually think this is an interesting discussion to be had -- whether you read the book or the movie first, you lose something either way. With the book first, you lose the ability to judge an adaptation as its own work, and if you watch the adaptation before reading the book, you lose a lot of the mystery and intrigue that you'd experience while reading if you didn't already know what would happen.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:54 PM, PiedPiper said:

I'm certain the WoT fandom will expand when the TV show is released (unless it's a bad show... please, dear God, let it be a good TV show for the sake of the creators' health, because if it isn't they will go to sleep one evening and never wake up, and my fingerprints will be all over the crime scene and I'd rather not go to jail). Hypotheses on the expansion of the DM community? Do you wonder if there'll be a tonal shift as more non-readers join?

Jason is expecting a massive increase in traffic to DM, based on his meetings with the major "SOIF / GOT" forums. That's the reason why we had to migrate to the Club system. Apparently it can better withstand the traffic increase.

Also, don't worry about your fingerprints - there will be a few other sets to confuse matters ?

15 hours ago, Elgee said:

Jason is expecting a massive increase in traffic to DM, based on his meetings with the major "SOIF / GOT" forums. That's the reason why we had to migrate to the Club system. Apparently it can better withstand the traffic increase.

Also, don't worry about your fingerprints - there will be a few other sets to confuse matters ?

More Aspies will have to be managed. Consider that.?