DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Small annoyance

Ranadin

Hi, again. A small question on Towers of Midnight. I'm on chapter 34 of Towers of Midnight, on a Faile POV. She is talking to Perrin. Then, out of nowhere, no pause, no sign on the structure of the text whatsoever, the POV switches to Perrin. It threw me off at the moment. A few paragraphs later, we look through Faile's eyes again. Like before, no sign, no pause. Am I reading this wrong? 

I just went and found that bit you're talking about, and no, you're not wrong.  Looks like something that slipped past editing, because there's no real reason that couldn't have been fixed.  Perrin's already pretty talky and open in that scene.  His remembering the prophetic wolf dream and realizing he'd misinterpreted it could have been communicated by having him react in some way that Faile catches, say his line about his armies being herded to slaughter like sheep, then explain the dream and how he'd misinterpreted it.  And it wouldn't have broken Faile's PoV.

It seems to me the kind of thing that might happen if there was a Perrin PoV that needed to be cut or changed to a different PoV for flow reasons (there's already a lot of Perrin in ToM), but Perrin's realization about his dream still needed to happen and be communicated to the readers, so it was shoehorned in to a Faile PoV.  It's still somewhat surprising that it made it past proofreading, though.