DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The worst holliday tradition

Liitha

so what is the worst about whatever holliday you celebrate now or you see others celebrate? what anoys you the most, the worst experience or just most meaningless boring traditions?

lets discuss what we could really do without or see a whole lot less of for this time of year

(nothing like a good venting to get something off our chest, so we can go on to enjoy the good parts of the upcoming hollidays)

Edited by Liitha

I can't think of any bad traditions per se 😅

This year, my sisters insist on meeting for the end of year celebrations and going against the Belgian Covid rules. Me and my brother we have a different opinion. We want to respect the rules and don't want to risk infect anyone, especially their newborns (one of them has serious lungs problems).

So even if I love to celebrate the end of the year with my family, this year I prefer to stay careful.

I personally don't like Elf on the Shelf. I understand how much fun it is for kids (and some parents...though I see many of them stress over it 😄), and I think it's great that families have fun with it. For me, it's the idea of it....very reminiscent of 1984. I feel Elf on the Shelf is teaching kids that it's ok to invade privacy to be watched to ensure good behavior, when it should come from within, with parental guidance and making good choices...not some entity staring down at you, forcing you to walk on eggshells. I feel that is the wrong message to send to young minds. Granted, I'm probably looking into it way too much because arguments could be made about lying to your kids about Santa or the Easter Bunny, so maybe I should lighten-up and take it at face value....a fun Christmas thing for families to do 💙.

@Phaedra Me too. 

I understand the fun and game of it, it's a creative way to involve christmas in a game. But for someone, like me, who likes my privacy, having a game that teaches children that they are being watched just breaks away what lines we have put in place in terms of them understanding that they, too, have a right to privacy even when we aren't in the room. I have always been clear if anyone bought us one, it would be tossed or burned. XD

Besides, the only sacred "magic" in our house is the Toothfairy. All other holidays are mostly just time 'not at school', except christmas, where there are presents and halloween where there is dressing up. 🙂

I also have to admit, I don't get the Ugly Sweater thing. Maybe because i'm a knitter and know how hard a lot of grandmothers work to make those sweaters, and so I feel offended on their behalf. Colorwork is HARD, and those sweaters are really quite nice.. (unless intentionally ugly....??) But to each their own.

Edited by Arie

23 hours ago, Phaedra said:

I personally don't like Elf on the Shelf. I understand how much fun it is for kids (and some parents...though I see many of them stress over it 😄), and I think it's great that families have fun with it. For me, it's the idea of it....very reminiscent of 1984. I feel Elf on the Shelf is teaching kids that it's ok to invade privacy to be watched to ensure good behavior, when it should come from within, with parental guidance and making good choices...not some entity staring down at you, forcing you to walk on eggshells. I feel that is the wrong message to send to young minds. Granted, I'm probably looking into it way too much because arguments could be made about lying to your kids about Santa or the Easter Bunny, so maybe I should lighten-up and take it at face value....a fun Christmas thing for families to do 💙.

I need to know more about Elf on the Shelf lol

I thought it was just a word game ... where you tried to be clever by using two words that rhymed. Like Pus on a Bus ?

but it seems to be so much more ?

1 hour ago, Hayl3y said:

I need to know more about Elf on the Shelf lol

I thought it was just a word game ... where you tried to be clever by using two words that rhymed. Like Pus on a Bus ?

but it seems to be so much more ?

This made me giggle :). Elf on the Shelf is this little elf that parents hide in creative ways for kids to find on a daily basis. The idea is that Santa sends scout elves to children's homes, to keep on eye on the kids to make sure they are behaving for Santa's nice list.

oh wow XD

I didn't know that 😋 I thought that the elves were only helping out with packing the presents and such.

Now, I do tell the kids that if they are not nice, they won't get any presents from Santa... even if they all know now that we are the ones getting the presents

• 2 weeks later...