DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An argument for 'Galwyn'

Taishar Hawaii

While most (if not all) of us on here would want a word-for-word adaptation of the books for the series, we all understand that to be impossible.  This got me thinking of who and what I would be OK with them cutting out, or rather presenting an amalgamation character.  This brings us to Galwyn.

As I am sure everyone has figured out by now, Galwyn would be a combo of Galad and Gawyn.  My suggestion is to take the story arc of Gawyn from EoTW thru LoC, then take the story arc of Galad thru the rest of the series.  

This way, you have the most interesting stories of both characters, eliminating the lulls of each, and have just 1 character.  So, picture this:

--  Galwyn meets Rand with Elayne, as her half-brother (maintaining Galad's parentage) goes to the tower to train as a warder.

--  Gets schooled by Mat (the second person can be some extra warder trainee).

--  Galwyn leads the Younglings during the tower split, aiding Min's and Siuan's escape.

--  Galwyn is at Dumai's Wells.

At this point, instead of having him 'leading' the Younglings, while being an Aes Sedai lapdog, then deserting them to be Egwene's lapdog, we have Galwyn, looking for purpose and answers (maybe injured?) after the disaster at the Wells, find his way to the Children and take up Galad's story arc.

--  Dueling Eamon Valda to gain justice for Morgase, becoming the Lord Captain Commander.

--  Meeting Perrin and joining forces.

--  Participating in Tarmon Gaidon, dueling Demandred.

Whether they maintain Galwyn as an Egwene love interest, I wouldn't hate it, but wouldn't miss it either.  What do you think?  Any other ideas on what to cut/condense?

1 hour ago, Taishar Hawaii said:

While most (if not all) of us on here would want a word-for-word adaptation of the books for the series, we all understand that to be impossible.  This got me thinking of who and what I would be OK with them cutting out, or rather presenting an amalgamation character.  This brings us to Galwyn.

As I am sure everyone has figured out by now, Galwyn would be a combo of Galad and Gawyn.  My suggestion is to take the story arc of Gawyn from EoTW thru LoC, then take the story arc of Galad thru the rest of the series.  

This way, you have the most interesting stories of both characters, eliminating the lulls of each, and have just 1 character.  So, picture this:

--  Galwyn meets Rand with Elayne, as her half-brother (maintaining Galad's parentage) goes to the tower to train as a warder.

--  Galwyn leads the Younglings during the tower split, aiding Min's and Siuan's escape.

At this point, instead of having him 'leading' the Younglings, while being an Aes Sedai lapdog, then deserting them to be Egwene's lapdog, we have Galwyn, looking for purpose and answers (maybe injured?) after the disaster at the Wells, find his way to the Children and take up Galad's story arc.

--  Dueling Eamon Valda to gain justice for Morgase, becoming the Lord Captain Commander.

Whether they maintain Galwyn as an Egwene love interest, I wouldn't hate it, but wouldn't miss it either.  What do you think?  Any other ideas on what to cut/condense?

I think this is an excellent idea. 

I keep Galwyn with Berelain though. That romance is better than the Egwene/Gawyn one anyway (IMHO). I feel like Egwene ending up alone is important - so I think I would write her several unrequited love interests: Rand (obviously), Aram (again, obvious) and then write a couple of others in. An aiel while she's in the waste. A guard captain in Salidar. They don't have to be major roles, but men she has conversations with only to have some barrier.

It balances out Rand's triumvirate. 

2 hours ago, Taishar Hawaii said:

Yea not the worst idea i have ever heard, basically Gawyns Storyline till DW and then Galads, maybe even have some of the Younglings go to the Whitecloaks with him.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lance Uppercut

This is a good idea.  They can even just use Galad for the name and then I won't have to think about Gawyn during the show.

For books 1-4 Galad/Gawyn don't even have much in the way of separate appearances.  Basically just Gawyn talking to Rand when he leaves the palace in EoTW.  They're almost always together.

Galad's plot in books 5/6 is pretty skimpy so easy enough to just write him out and give him Gawyn's role with Egwene in Cairhien.  Then, as noted, it's pretty easy to move to a disillusioned Galad joining the Whitecloaks post Dumai's Wells. Honestly, it's a better story arc than 'get mad about a rumour that Al'Thor killed my mother, side with pretty obviously bad people out of spite, cling on to it literally through death despite numerous people (including his love interest and supreme leader) telling him it's incorrect.'

I guess you'd have a bit of a gap with Egwene's love interest and warder at the end of the series.  But it could be pretty easy to blow out another character to fill this void, even if it's not in line with their book plot. 

Maybe a chance for Chubain, Captain of Tar Valon, to show his quality.