DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wot character you feel most alligned with

It doesn't nessesarily need to be your favourite one, although I suspect in many cases it will, but what I'm asking for is what is the wot character(s) you feel most alligned with?

I am a big fan of the way of the leaf, however not to the extreme of the tuatha'an. I do have some logic sense and survival instincts, I may not always be good at defending myself but I would not just run if something threatened my family.

I feel the most aligned with Loial, he is highly respectful of the way of the leaf and also all living creatures, but he will take up the sword to defend himself and others if need be. He has all these old knowledge and a great sense of logic, but are also curious to learn others traditions and point of wievs, and are open for that not all old knowledge is good or correct.

I can totally recognize myself in this way he often dive into some or other interesting subject or project he becomes facinated of, to the extent of loosing sense of time and place. 

And he has this magnificent dry humor lol. 

Lava, I LOVED what you had to say here. I'm of the same philosophy regarding Way of the Leaf. I'm a pacifist, but if I need to defend myself or others, with a sword or otherwise, I absolutely will. I don't go looking for fights, but I won't run either. 

To answer your question: Since I've only read up to book 6, my connection only applies to those introduced up to that point. I knew when I started reading the series, I was/am definitely Aes Sedai. I've always had an affinity for magical beings. I see channeling as something similar to using The Force...being able to tap into the natural energeries surrounding us. I've always felt a connection to the world around me, and the spirit that binds us all together. I guess that is the definition of magic to me. Now the politics and perceptions of Aes Sedai isn't a favorite, but...it's also something that's come from thousands of years of having to manage their place in the new world after the Breaking, so I can't really blame how it's evolved. As for a character, that's a much more difficult answer. I appreciate Egwene's strong to desire to learn quickly and be the best at what she does right now. I have many of those same tendencies, as annoying as they are. But...I don't feel that connection with her. I will say, after reading A New Spring, I have more of a connection with Moiraine than I had originally, so I'm curious to see if that still holds as I read the rest of the series...or if I find a character later on in the series that does it for me. We shall see!

I also have the drive to learn, I don't have to be the best though percee, I just hold myself to pretty high standards lol. Maybe it's my sense of honor? Like I never take on anything if I know I can only deliver below mediocre, if I take on something my pride wont let me do anything less than very well.. (Good is not good enough haha..) but no I do not feel a connection with egwene..honnestly I don't care much for her char at all till now...

Same as Phaedra, I've always felt drawn to the Aes Sedai. There are 2 whom I particularly feel close to, and they are Pevara and Cadsuane. I fear in character I'm probably closest to Nynaeve, though ... lol ... I really dislike her!

On 11/1/2020 at 3:52 PM, Elgee said:

Same as Phaedra, I've always felt drawn to the Aes Sedai. There are 2 whom I particularly feel close to, and they are Pevara and Cadsuane. I fear in character I'm probably closest to Nynaeve, though ... lol ... I really dislike her!

Haha..I can see how and ofcourse you know yourself best, but what little I know of Cadsuane from my point of wiev, I feel it sounds much more like my impression of you, than nynaeve does. You may both be outspoken but too me there is a big distinction:

How i see Nynaeve; she is the type of person that needs to jump from a bridge and break something to learn it's a bad idea. Basically she just take rash desitions, and show a total disregard for flaring warnings signs, or even people trying to tell her to think before she acts. When she made up her mind, she made up her mind, and no amount of reasoning will make her change it.  She just rush ahead and endanger herself and others on a whim.

You may be outspoken but unlike nynaeve  (and more like cadsuane) you think before you speak, and you don't make dessitions on a whim, just where cadsuane would probably only put weight in logic and facts, you take both facts and how it will affect people (aka feelings) into consideration.

And also I think it's high under the roof to disagree (nynaeve does not take disagreements well to say the least). Yes it is not for the faint of heart, if you cant handle resistance better just leave it. But you can take as good as you give, and are open to listening, and although you do drive a hard bargain, if you deside you were wrong, you have no problem saying so, and that with a straight back too.

I also really like how even we can be different or dissagree, we can always just put it behind and move forward, it's no churning on old things..nynaeve strikes me as a person that would hold a grudge lol.

Edited by Lavandula

I love nynaeve and would identify with her most, if not for Lan. Having said that, RJ wrote so well, I identified with most of the characters at one point or another, even Padan Fain.

Lan (and nynaeve) cos they don't brook any nonsense. They don't suffer fools, but they could both lighten up some. It's a lesson i've learned since having kids, so that's probably all they need haha

Well let it be said my wiev of nynaeve is stricktly from the 4 first books.. It's not like I don't like nynaeve, I don't tend to dislike persons unless they are straight out evil, I focus more on don't liking oppinions and actions. I just focused on her negative traits to shead light on why I do not like her actions but I like and respect elgees actions, so to see if maybe that is some of the reasons as to why she don't like her even though she felt she had things in comon.

I can see how nynaeve has good traits too, like she always stand up for and protect her friend like a screaming bloody banshee, and when she first get herself and others in trouble, she has a quick mind and often comes up with the solution to save them, aka is creative and solution oriented it's just her choises and solutions would be so much better if she would just think a little before she acted, cause yes she might have some good ideas but she has some really not thought trought straight out crappy ones too.. She don't have to jump from a bridge without safety gear, to know it is a bad idea, she is not a child, and it becomes so much worse when she drags others with her over the edge, I just don't hold any respect to grown people acting like that. 

My minty said she grows more sense soon so she may become more edible then..

Ugh..lol I'm the opposite I can't identify with most of them..that is why I have trouble reading on now that it's so much relationship building and the story, or journey if you like, is on a hold for time being. That does not in any way mean I think they are badly written, well some few details don't add up for my logic sense but no matter.. 

I do feel most connected to Loial as said but also Lan (his dry sense of humor cracks me up) and the little I read about cadsuane, and also a little too moiraine and perrin. I may not agree with all of moiranes desitions but she's following her own moral compass and sensibility to the best of her knowledge and experiences, and I like perrins pondering ways.

@Lavandula lol I think you describe Nynaeve very accurately! What I identify with where she's concerned, though, is that she often thinks she knows best, when she doesn't. I think, to be fair to her, is that in her previous small world, she DID know best - however now she's in a different world, where she doesn't. She won't always acknowledge that. And when she does realise it, it's a blow to her confidence and ego because she feels she has to always be perfect or no-one will take her seriously.

I do feel very drawn to Min, but I also have some really wide Yellow, Brown, and White stripes.  According to an Ajah test I just took I tied between Brown and Gray.  I was a Brown on a different site but have pretty much retired from that site, so.....yeah.  *shrugs*

@Zyida Albenorn

I think most of us join here thinking we'll fit in with one group, then end up being much more in tune with another. Well, exploring and finding out where you DO fit, is half the fun!

yeah as a social group we dont follow the books strictly on set ups and interests, its not always aparent at first where you will fit

but people generally find their place once they get to know people and made the rounds a few times 😉

i dont know who i would say i feel most alligned with, i like different characters throughout the books, they all seem to change so much as they grow and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had to pick one character I feel most aligned with, it would be Elan Morin Tedronai/Ishamael/Moridin. "You were always so full of thoughts, Elan. Your logic destroyed you, didn't it?" That pretty much describes me. I always think too much about things, and sometimes it doesn't end well. Other times I just lose sleep, like when I'm thinking about the possibilities of a weave that's mentioned twice. Or complaining in my head about the inconsistencies and things that don't make sense about Tel'aran'rhoid. 😜

Edited by Asha'man Shar'aman
22 hours ago, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

Other times I just lose sleep, like when I'm thinking about the possibilities of a weave that's mentioned twice. Or complaining in my head about the inconsistencies and things that don't make sense about Tel'aran'rhoid. 

Well I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

I am too Mother! I wonder if it would be better to have a Lews Therin to complain to, or to just have your sanity? I'm going with Lews Therin right now. Sanity can take a hike. Of course once Covid is over, (in the next Age maybe), I'll be begging for my sanity again. *sigh* Thinking is so hard sometimes. 

On 11/26/2020 at 6:33 AM, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

Sanity can take a hike.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I've been thinking about it, and quite frankly I'm probably most like an Asha'Man. Crazy with a big violent streak.

8 hours ago, Elgee said:

I've been thinking about it, and quite frankly I'm probably most like an Asha'Man. Crazy with a big violent streak.

Well, in the Gathering Storm at least (where I'm at) the Asha'man seem to be doing better than the Aes Sedai. I know about certain BT events. Can't get the spoiler tags to work. Sorry. 

And I don't think Damer Flinn is crazy with a big violent streak. And besides, maybe that quality is good in an Amyrlin. The Tower certainly won't be abused or threatened!

Damer Flinn is special. Love him to bits.

Oops don't take that literally! LoL

On 11/30/2020 at 4:12 AM, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

And besides, maybe that quality is good in an Amyrlin. The Tower certainly won't be abused or threatened!

Excellent excuse! I mean idea. You'll do well as a Warder *nods*

4 hours ago, Elgee said:

Excellent excuse! I mean idea. You'll do well as a Warder *nods*

Haha! Thank you Mother. And I got the nod stamp of approval from the Amyrlin!

4 hours ago, Elgee said:

Damer Flinn is special. Love him to bits.

Why? Now you've peaked my curiosity, and I need to now how he dies! If he does. 

Why is Damer Flinn special? Because he's not your typical teenager - he's an older man. And he seems genuinely nice.

And no spoilers here - RAFO *grins*

Mother @Elgee, I know why he’s special, and I totally agree with you. I meant you said you love him to bits, so I was thinking maybe he got torn apart by the gholam. So naturally, since I think too much about things, I got really curious, and had to restrain myself from looking up his potential death. I hate and love RAFO at the same time. Never enough info at the time, but when you get it, it makes it all the more priceless. 

Mat. It's always been Mat.  It's insane how much we relate...sometimes I think I AM Mat.  He grew from an impish kid (like me) into a military genius...and, while I'm not a military genius, those who've followed what I've been up to these past few years know I have a few things to say about it!

Mat always thinks for himself, (which can be a curse sometimes), and when he's determined there's no stopping him.  He's blunt, highly intuitive, and although he could never tell you why, when he makes big decisions he's usually correct. He's a gambler--but he knows how to gamble.  All in all, this makes him--well, me.  The only thing I can't relate to is that I'm more polite.  (On the outside).  Even things like being a ladies' man--well, I am myself, I just never knew it.

So, yeah.  Mat Cauthon.

Late to the party.. 

I have identified the most, in my 20's, with Egwene. Her paths, her trials, her perseverance, and even how a lot of fans just did not like her. I could see a lot of the choices she made are choices I would have made, or wish I had the bravery to make. Moreso her compassion for others, and her hardness in later books are still very much reflective in my personality today. 

Coming from humble beginnings, breaking away from what was originally expected of her, the sabotage of her strength, the betrayal. Ugh, I could go on. 

In my 30's I relate a lot to Pevara and Suian's perspective, the necessity to survive among massive life and philosophy changes. That ability to change, evolve, and grow. I can appreciate that among women who are known to be 'old and set in their ways'.

On 12/2/2020 at 6:05 PM, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

I meant you said you love him to bits, so I was thinking maybe he got torn apart by the gholam.

LoL no ... it was a play on words. I was Raised from the Red. You're going to have to follow that trail and tell me where it leads you 😉

5 hours ago, Elgee said:

LoL no ... it was a play on words. I was Raised from the Red. You're going to have to follow that trail and tell me where it leads you 😉

Uh-oh. I’m not going to be gentled am I? Even though I’m not supposed to be able to channel. 😳