DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just a week away! Anyone participating? 

Or up for sprints?

I have a YA-ish fantasy that I'd been mulling over from scratch the past month and a half. It's nice to write something new, trying to outline more/better this go around to help with directions and goals. 

Anyone else?

What Is NaNoWriMo?

National Novel Writing Month began in 1999 as a daunting but straightforward challenge: to write 50,000 words of a novel in thirty days.

I had no idea what it was...I love the idea! I am going to take the week to think on, looking at my schedule. 

1667 words/day (roughly 3.5pgs, single spaced) for 30 days. Sounds daunting, but I love a challenge!

It is daunting, but the challenge is surpisingly satisfying, even if you are able to get in half that amount but do it every day. (mostly..)

Yea, i like the idea of pushing myself and seeing what happens 🙂 I think some folks will really take to it, there are some great writers on here, and others will find that this is a great past-time!

I am really not sure how we are back around to NaNo again!! I did not accomplish my goals last year and have been debating if I even want to make the attempt in 2020. Who knows...maybe this insane year is the year I make it happen?!?!

I will mull it over this week while I finish up my book reviews (that are woefully overdue) 😛 

A year past is always strange. It's like I judge the time of year by when NaNo starts, especially since kids in school isn't a thing but NaNo carries on.

Do it anyway! 😄 Write reviews on weekends and knock out words whenever you can! (Says me who struggles sometimes with daily writing so I pad my wordcount with 6k word days).

My tentative plan is to work on a YA fiction idea. I usually try to work on my fantasy novel during NaNo, but since I usually just end up stressing myself out I think I am going to shelve that for the month. I am going to give myself some space from it and try something a little different. I am wrapping up my two reviews before the weekend and plan to spend Halloween hashing out my plans. 

My main goal is to just FINISH!  

I'm 100% with you on the finishing part. I'll write for days but I need to plot to a finish and that's the big challenge that I've been fighting with this year. 

I forget how hard it is to figure out that middle so that you can get to the end. XD

I look forward to working through this process for the first time! Thanks for getting me to jump and try something new and exciting 🙂 Gonna be a great month.

It is! Sunday I think I'll start some sprints if people are up for it! 😄 

I have this great site that we can do sprints together! https://wordsprints.org/ I'm excited to try it this year (since getting a bot into discord might be a PITA.

• 2 weeks later...

How is it going for everyone? I didn't take the plunge this year. I am a bit sad about it, but I have still been writing. 

I.. felt like giving up that first week. The elections were just too draining and i had no muse to get more than a few hundred words in a day. 

Yesterday... i pushed myself and got in 10k in a single day, bringing my total to 21K. I'm insanely proud of myself for this, but today is MUCH slower going since I was able to write where I have a big question mark on my plot notes. At least I caught myself up enough that once i get over it, i can do another large run, or two. 

So I'm doing GREAT... For now. lol

Though, I have no title, which is rare for me.

Yay!!! That is excellent!! I could not agree more with the election distraction and fatigue. I am also an educator in a state and county where Covid is now in uncontrolled spread, so to say I have been distracted is an understatement. 

I did finish both of my reviews for the month and spent some time with the new YA fiction I was toying around with. This month I have just been trying to focus on getting some words on a page every single day no matter what. 

Ugh, I am so sorry. With my kids in school, we (husband and I) decided to keep ours at home. They gave us the option of Hybrid return, online with the city/state, or online with their school. I'd love to do hybrid with at least one of them, but the numbers look terrible and i'd rather protect our teachers. I'm sorry you live in such a.... selfish county-state.

Those are certainly doable goals. And ones that will help build your writing too. I'm sure that if I engaged in sprinting the way I have been, I would be much closer to my writing goals. So a little bit is great!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the 37K mark. I hit the 'midpoint' crisis and have slowed down a little until I figure out the next few chapters. 

How is everyone else doing?