DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another round, Mary!

StarRisk

A bit of insight and imagination, I'm curious what your answers are, and I hope you enjoy thinking them up, as I did.

Courtesy of Rebecca on YouTube (ReadingthePattern) and Twitter (@PatternReading) and she tags some folks (who may/may not have helped with this, so I'm giving 'em a mention) Riddhima, Geeky Eri, and The Badger Reborn.

*Warning: Spoilers are likely if you haven't read the series! You have been warned!*

1. How did you first hear about the Wheel of Time and what made you want to read the series?

2. If you could join an Ajah in the White Tower which one would you pick? (Lucky us!)

3. If the Black Tower has Ajahs, what might some be?

4. Who is a character you love, but would hate to meet in real life?

5. Who is a character from another book that would make a good Warder?

6. What is a scene from the books you're most excited to see on screen?

7. What are your favorite and least favorite book covers?

8. What is a location in the Wheel of Time you'd like to visit?

9. If you could make your own ter'angreal, what would it look like and what would it do?

10. What is another book or series you think Wheel of Time fans might like?

So have at it. I'll get this party started, but I expect folks to join in, like single folk at Bel Tine or Moiraine and Nynaeve at the Stag and Lion!

I didn't think I'd like a questionnaire type thing, but thinking about the Wheel of Time always cheers me up, if got me teary-eyed round question 6 ?

1. How did you first hear about the Wheel of Time and what made you want to read the series?

I picked up the first three books in 1993, in a bookstore, 'cos the title and covers were intriguing. I like sagas and long reads. My first book was Treasure Island.

I had just moved to a new state/school, didn't have anyone to hangout with, loved books, and had the time. I was immediately hooked! I reread the series after buying the rest of the books that were out, the reread the series every year a new book came out, and sometimes in between 'cos its WoT!

2. If you could join an Ajah in the White Tower which one would you pick? (Lucky us!)

This is tough, as it is for many because we are so diverse, multifaceted folks. On DM, I want to go where I am needed. Servant of All, right? In the rl, I'd go with Blue (with strong Brown tendencies!). I have a tendency to jump in the fight (literally/figuratively) and try to right the wrongs of the world. I study/read and enjoy history, but I also try to incorporate it into the present, practicing real longswords, training to get into Special Forces (passed the initial evals, but changed my mind last second for my family), and putting into action that which I have learned. I think that makes a Blue? But I sure do love reading and studying just about everything haha.

(Tor has a good article on this: https://www.tor.com/2015/11/04/which-wheel-of-time-ajah-are-you/comment-page-1/)

3. If the Black Tower has Ajahs, what might some be?

Certainly they wouldn't go the route of the WT (with colors). I could see the BT being straight-forward, blunt if you will. You could see it in the books, they see themselves as tools to be used, so they train like it. I'd run with that:

Hammer, Nail, Anvil, Scythe, Sword, and Shield

Personally, I have to include Rebecca's idea: Traveling/Gateways Ajah!

4. Who is a character you love, but would hate to meet in real life?

I love Padan Fain, what a crazy, crazy guy?! The depth of his madness, his commitment, and his sheer willpower. Wow. I would never want to meet him in real life because I could see him pulling at all those dark strings in my soul, turning me into him, probably without much effort on his part.

5. Who is a character from another book that would make a good Warder?

I like Samwise Gamgee for this. What a halfling. Willing to go to Mordor and back to protect his friend?! That's some serious dedication, typically without complaint and very supportive. You 'da man, Sam.

6. What is a scene from the books you're most excited to see on screen?

I would love to experience, again, the moment after Nynaeve enters the Queen's Lance, as Weilin Aldragoran realizes what is happening...it is the only moment I have ever truly shared a living moment and feeling with a character from a book. I laughed out loud, crying with joy, and shouted, "He will not ride alone!", before realizing I what I had done. To live that moment again would be indescribable. 

7. What are your favorite and least favorite book covers?

I don't have the issue that some folks have with the covers, as far as being representative of the characters. I guess because I can't draw more than stick figures, I appreciate artwork of any kind. My favorite would be Eye of the World, it's not just iconic, it grabs you. Without the stunning title, this scene still represents the series as a whole, from book one, but also the beginning of a journey into fantasy, in the broader sense.

My least favorite would The Gathering Storm because it doesn't capture the moment well. The handless Rand, casually covering up the stump, does a disservice to everything that led Rand here. I think showing the missing limb would've made a much better representation and impact on readers, as well as leaning into a handicap, instead of hiding it.

8. What is a location in the Wheel of Time you'd like to visit?

The Aiel Waste. (it was tough not choosing Shadar Logoth). I can't imagine a more scenic place that is at once beautiful, harsh, scorching, and mesmerizing. I would run often and far ?

9. If you could make your own ter'angreal, what would it look like and what would it do?

I loved Rebecca's traveling idea, but to be original, I'm going to go with:

A small, house, little bigger than a monopoly piece, that when given the right focus, creates a tiny house, fully stocked, and ready to be lived in! And you could return the house to the ter'angreal anytime...hopefully with no one inside! haha

10. What is another book or series you think Wheel of Time fans might like?

I've made quite a list somewhere else on DM, but I suggest the Witcher series. An incredible world, built in the medieval/fantasy realm, with a fantastic show blossoming into the 2nd season, and a fair amount of books as well!