DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My latest

JamesBrown

I always thought your pieces were somewhat modern, but here is a perfect example of how it could very well fit into a more soft environment too, it's lovely James thank you for sharing!

Are you working at something new? I'm very curious to see some "trough the prosses" pictures in your scetch book.

22 minutes ago, JamesBrown said:

As it turns out, I've got two more pieces in progress. But unfortunately, I don't like to share the process. 

I can respect that, we're all different?

14 minutes ago, JamesBrown said:

My apologies @Liitha. I just *now* noticed the other sub-boards here (Events, Sketchbooks, etc.)

If you think this general "Show off your latest work" thread should be moved to one of the other sub-boards, feel free to do so. 

No it's in the right place, no problem. Even though people have their own scetchbook it's nice to have a place to show of finnished products you are particularly proud of?

the sketchbooks more to create an unclutered place for everyone to have one work in progress tread where they can get help and feedback, its not that many active users so it should take a bit for treads to disapear into the oblivion of multipages as long as everyone have one tread for that

but like Lava said this like debating general stuff, show off etc games whatever goes to general discussion our generall common room so to speak, and then we have work places so to say for other specific areas to not clutter this place up, and to be able to work in peace on those specific elements of art work without geting drowned out in chitchat

the thougth is it should hold up also over time as we get more active with many members without having to do too much cleaning up and stuff down the road if we just made a good structure from the begining ;)

not sure i showed it to everyone but here is a sig i did in the past in the spirit of sharing ...no one wearing or using it so somewhat up for grabs i guess, where i combine drawing and shade work on computer with photomanipulation, i drew the woman but the background and everything else is manipulation 

nyna.png

its nyna based on the actress they picked to play her in the series, yes idealy if i were more patient i would worked even more on the shading creating even more layers/colors too it and such, but i got a certain limit to how long i can be bothered which is why i dont do pieces like this much

• 2 weeks later...

I finished another piece today.

James_A_Brown-Wanderers-300dpi.thumb.jpg.0f8f581ca620ad971584a03c7bf54b86.jpg

"Wanderers"

Acrylic on Canvas

12" x 36"

James_A_Brown-Wanderers-room_display.thumb.jpg.d183e4309135ddd5943206a1aca9310d.jpg

When I was a boy, I was looking at an artist's illustration of our solar system. The small rocky planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars) were arranged in a neat row from left to right. The larger gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn) were front and center. The smaller gas planets (Uranus and Neptune) and tiny Pluto (which was still classified as a planet back then) finished the line-up on the right.  Something akin to this:

94617_3849556m.jpg

(Obviously not to scale.)

Since the planets all had the same basic spherical shape, I vividly remember my mind shifting in perspective, like those dual-image illusions (Is this a picture of an old crone or a young beauty? It's both depending on how you look at it.) 

94617_3849557m.jpg

The image was intended by the illustrator to show our neighboring planets as different sizes when viewed from the same distance. But since the planets all have the same basic shape, I was able to see the planets as having the same size when viewed from a different distance. 

Thus, the small inner planets were actually far away in the background. Giants Jupiter and Saturn were up close. And wee planet Pluto was receding into the background as well.

So with that shift in perspective in mind, I created this piece. It was the ancient Greeks who studied these bright objects in the night sky, who moved on their own unique courses compared to the other stars. Thus they named them planetai or "Wanderers." With the bright yellow sun on the left, the darkness of space on the left, ask yourself, Are the objects different sizes against a flat background? Or are they all the same size, seeming to elevate off the canvas? 

Or is it both?

More of my work is available here

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is it my eyes or the photo or is there differences to the white on botom and on top of it? (yeah my eyes feels crosseyed so unsure if i am catching the nuances of this in the screen light right).

you use tape for those clean lines or you got another trick? i havent played with tape yet i seen it used in several painting tutorials, been wondering about doing that but need a consept that would work for a pic with edges or such...also unsure of if i can get it working right since i dont use canvas but paper...gather painttape and then make the glue of it less strong before puting it on is the trick...also unsure how it will handle the waterpaint...but definantly inspired looking at your stuff to try it soon..

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 9:09 AM, Liitha said:

is it my eyes or the photo or is there differences to the white on botom and on top of it? (yeah my eyes feels crosseyed so unsure if i am catching the nuances of this in the screen light right).

Yes, the top middle rectangle is a pale white. The bottom-middle rectangle has some green undertones. All the rest are a very soft gray. 

you use tape for those clean lines or you got another trick? 

Yes, painter's tape for the bulk of it, and I use a round #0 brush plus a severe case of astigmatism to clean up the edges. On a linen canvas, even with tape, there's still bleed-under that results in a raggedy-edge. So I sharpen the lines while my nose is brushing the canvas.

I descided to reuse tape...that ended in some bleeding...but for practicing i think even so I will do so to cut cost till i can get to a level i could maybe sell them for 2-3 dollars to recover some material costs ?

Ofc i didn't make it better trying to fix it ?

IMG_20210205_163112.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...