DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Rhea

Rhea's HLD for October 2020: Are you a Healthy Sleeper?

Healthy Sleep Habits

blog-banner-sleep.jpg

I often talk to my patients about how they can sleep better. And since all my patients have cancer they really do have issues sleeping! Sleep hygiene is very important for everyone. (Except my husband who can sleep anywhere at anytime, which infuriates me because I can't!)

Your behaviors during the day, and especially before bedtime, can have a major impact on your sleep. They can promote healthy sleep or contribute to sleeplessness. 

Your daily routines – what you eat and drink, the medications you take, how you schedule your days and how you choose to spend your evenings – can significantly impact your quality of sleep. Even a few slight adjustments can, in some cases, mean the difference between sound sleep and a restless night. Completing a two-week sleep diary can help you understand how your routines affect your sleep.

The term “sleep hygiene” refers to a series of healthy sleep habits that can improve your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep. 

If you have difficulty sleeping or want to improve your sleep, try following these healthy sleep habits. 

Quick Sleep Tips
Follow these tips to establish healthy sleep habits:

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
  • Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
  • Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy. 
  • If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed. 
  • Establish a relaxing bedtime routine. 
  • Use your bed only for sleep and sex. 
  • Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature. 
  • Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
  • Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
  • Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack. 
  • Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet. 
  • Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening. 
  • Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime. 
  • Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

It drives me nuts how many people say they suffer from insomnia, but lie in bed watching TV most of the evening. No wonder they can't sleep!

Thanks @Rhea! This is really great!

Posted (edited)

After reading this article, "Why I Tape My Mouth Shut at Night", I've been doing the same.

Taping my mouth shut during sleep forces me to breathe through my nose, which has healthy benefits. Reduction in snoring, sleep apnea, dry mouth, morning breath.

It's weird, but it seems to be working.

Edited by JamesBrown

Ugh I know all about dry mouth and bad breath when my sinuses cloggs up 😝 still taping your mouth shut..how?

tenor.gif

Gosh I hope you aren't using duct tape! LOL

That is a great article! I might have to try that too. What do you use for tape? 

One thing that I also tell people is not to let their pets sleep with them. I know it helps in some cases but if they are larger, like bigger dogs who like to take over the bed, it can definitely have adverse effects. (Of course I sleep with my dogs, but when I need a good night sleep, they get put away!)

11 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

After reading this article, "Why I Tape My Mouth Shut at Night", I've been doing the same.

Taping my mouth shut during sleep forces me to breathe through my nose, which has healthy benefits. Reduction in snoring, sleep apnea, dry mouth, morning breath.

It's weird, but it seems to be working.

I have mild sleep apnea, and I wonder if this is exactly what I need to help it. Weight loss has helped my snoring, but it's still something I do. I'm going to try this out and report back.

Thanks for sharing this, @Rhea!

I have cycles where I sleep so well, and cycles where I can't sleep at all.  I think it's hormone based.  Ugh....

I am recovering from surgery, so I bought a HUGE maternity pillow that looks like a big U.  I love it!  It's helped my tossing and turning, and no matter which way I face, I have a pillow for my legs.  The only problem is it's hot!  Hopefully it will be better when the weather cools down.