DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sevanna as seanchan captive

the last we see of sevanna, she had been captured by the seanchan and about to be made da'covale. indeed, the seanchan seem to consider that a punishment worse than death for the (formerly) powerful.

this got me thinking. sevanna is young and pretty, so she will likely be made a shea dancer or something like that. pretty da'covale are bought by the blood to be used as eye candy,  but sometimes the blood marries them. and sevanna based her whole modus operandi on marrying powerful men and exploiting their power.

So, how likely would you rate that, within a few years, she'd be back in a position of power and making troubles again?

It's possible, but you also have to keep in mind that Sevanna was only in a position to "marry into power" because she bullied her way into being a Wise One.  She's overly self-confident, deceitful, manipulative and scornful of any attempt to criticize or restrain her.  And the Seanchan will break her before she's sold to anybody.  It's possible that she could humble herself and withhold a kernel of her willfulness, ambition and conceit, and that would probably be easier for her to do than any Wise One who was leashed.  But it's more likely she'd try to play gai'shan for a year and a day (probably badly) and then try to escape and either end up executed, or succeed and a find herself a refugee surrounded by enemies on all sides.

actually, sevanna managed to marry the previous two clan chiefs before bullying her way into a wise one. she did that after she got the authority to speak for the chief.

mind you, i don't expect her to amount to much. most likely, if she ever manages to succeed in marrying a noblemen, hers will be just one more suppressed uprising in the seanchan empire.

• 3 weeks later...

If Sevanna is freed, I don’t expect she would tie herself to an ordinary man.

She might lead on her owner, but once freed, she would leave him/her and try to climb again. I don’t see where and how Sevanna can climb, but a burning ambition couldn’t hurt with the goal she has. 

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly I'd expect the (un)lucky sod who wound up with Sevanna would trapped in a never-ending cycle of come-ons and put-offs and petty rebellions and overly "enthusiastic" crawling, that he'd be only too happy to sell her on to the next (un)lucky sod. And this would continue until her will was broken, or she got onsold to a Seanchan Lady with an iron will and not much tolerance for pettiness or self-pity.

At the stage we see her last, she's at the mercy of a Seanchan military woman we know to be level-headed and honest, and is due to be sold and broken. She doesn't have much - except for her physical attractiveness - going for her, and what we've seen of her character so far is either dissimulation or bullying. And we know the Seanchan are skilled at breaking someone down - Thera, anyone? Pura?