DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Need book recommendations with female magical societies like Aes Sedai

annazruf

...While I am still carrying a 24 year grudge with her, Melanie Rawn is a great example of 80s/90s female gaze pioneering new aspects of the fantasy world.  Her Dragon Prince/Dragon Star series are mostly equal, but strong females exist, thrive, and often rule in the stories.  And her Exiles series was based in a matriarchial society.  However, while book 1 was well celebrated, book 2 suffered from the fact she hasn't finished the series and probably never will.

But, if you like to torture yourself, give that a try.  ?

On 10/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, Maedelin said:

...While I am still carrying a 24 year grudge with her, Melanie Rawn is a great example of 80s/90s female gaze pioneering new aspects of the fantasy world.  Her Dragon Prince/Dragon Star series are mostly equal, but strong females exist, thrive, and often rule in the stories.  And her Exiles series was based in a matriarchial society.  However, while book 1 was well celebrated, book 2 suffered from the fact she hasn't finished the series and probably never will.

But, if you like to torture yourself, give that a try.  ?

I enjoyed the Dragon Prince series. It was a pretty cool magic system. Some good political plotting/intrigue/betrayal story lines. 

It was a little heavy on the romance for my tastes and her characters were only okay. But the series is a good read. 

3 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I enjoyed the Dragon Prince series. It was a pretty cool magic system. Some good political plotting/intrigue/betrayal story lines. 

It was a little heavy on the romance for my tastes and her characters were only okay. But the series is a good read. 

Same here enjoyed the Dragon Prince trilogy but never started on the Dragon Star trilogy. I think its just i found other series better and i got into them more, Jordan, Feist, Eddings and Kerr kept me busy enough and i sort of forgot about Rawn

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...