DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What major castings are still to be announced?

johnnysd

Seems like there are a lot of major castings still not revealed. 

Ishamael (obviously)

Aginor/Balthamel (one or both)

Borderlanders: Agelmar at a minimum but also likely Ingtar, Uno and Masema

Elayne: Just cant believe they cut here from Season 1

Morgase: Possible cut, they could possibly skip the entire Morgase plot but I doubt it since the Whitecloaks are in

Byrne:

Elaida

"Surprise" AIEL: Likely Aviendha but possibly Rhuarc

Verin: Can wait until Season 2 (she probably will be a name actress-hugely pivotal role)

Green Man: I think it's Steve to be honest

Gitara Morosso

Lews Therin -Youd think they HAVE to show the prologue at some point

Tigraine quite possibly 

Galad/Gawyn : Possibly composite?

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Ishamael (obviously)

Morgase: Possible cut, they could possibly skip the entire Morgase plot but I doubt it since the Whitecloaks are in

Byrne:

Elaida

Verin: Can wait until Season 2 (she probably will be a name actress-hugely pivotal role)

Gitara Morosso

Lews Therin -Youd think they HAVE to show the prologue at some point

Tigraine quite possibly 

Thoughts?

Ep 4 is called the Dragon Reborn so that is when we may see Ishy and Lews

Agelmar and Ingtar yes if they are showing the Fal Dara scenes, don’t need the other 2 until they leave FD chasing the Horn

The Andor Court 6 i think will be the last to be announced

Aiel, really have no idea

Tigraine doesn’t even appear in the Books so I’m not sure we will necessarily see her as anything more than a dead body in the snow.

Don’t think they will combine Galad and Gawyn(Galwyn?) 

I think the Green Man could be 100% CGI with a voice over.

2 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

We'll probably see Tigraine in flashbacks as she's important to more than one character and we might even see Janduin.

warning Spoilers*

I think this is more likely to be a S3 storyline for 2 reasons. Jordan told this story from the Aiel POV and it was Book 4 or 5, we are not going to see the Aiel much before the end of S2 and i expect them to become a big factor in S3 . The other person i expect in S3 is Slayer/Luc. I think the Showrunners will keep Rands true parentage close to their Chests until then and make it a big reveal in S3. 

It may be revealed where Rand was actually born but not who his parents actually where.

4 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

There was mention of a "surprise Aiel" by the show runners.

My guess is Rhuarc, being introduced with Gaul leaving the 3 fold land. Setting up for season 3.

Oh I think the surprise is Aviendha, though Rhuarc would be second choice. I am not sure they will keep Luc/Isam will be really difficult to portray on screen

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Oh I think the surprise is Aviendha, though Rhuarc would be second choice. I am not sure they will keep Luc/Isam will be really difficult to portray on screen

Why would he be that difficult to portray on screen? And he is a big factor in Perrins story

I personally think they will just drop the Luc/Isam part and just make him Slayer as his connection to Rand and Lan isn't important to the story. Personally, he seemed like an interesting character especially being Gitara sent him to the Blight but the writers would basically have to invent backstories unless there are unused notes we've never heard. Unfortunately, I expect Slayer to be Slayer. It occurred to me just now that Slayer's dual identity was probably a left over of the WOT trilogy that RJ couldn't kill off.

Edited by mistborn82

1 hour ago, mistborn82 said:

I personally think they will just drop the Luc/Isam part and just make him Slayer as his connection to Rand and Lan isn't important to the story. Personally, he seemed like an interesting character especially being Gitara sent him to the Blight but the writers would basically have to invent backstories unless there are unused notes we've never heard. Unfortunately, I expect Slayer to be Slayer. It occurred to me just now that Slayer's dual identity was probably a left over of the WOT trilogy that RJ couldn't kill off.

But if he is just slayer then he can't be Lord Luc because Perrin would know instantly. Full disclosure, never liked the whole thing I would rather than focus more on say Sheriam  that parts of three or four episodes on this. I might instead just have a good portion of the Two Rivers looking up to the Whitecloaks, and being manipulated by Fain and following them as it will be a much more straightforward and interesting plot line. 

18 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

There was mention of a "surprise Aiel" by the show runners.

My guess is Rhuarc, being introduced with Gaul leaving the 3 fold land. Setting up for season 3.

I’m going to guess that the encounter between the Tinkers and the Aiel that happens “off-screen” (in EotW ch. 25) happens on screen instead. 

That’s where we get our surprise Aiel for season 1. 

On 9/2/2020 at 3:43 PM, johnnysd said:

Ishamael (obviously)

This might not be so obvious. I can definitely envision a season 1 where Ishamael exists only in Rand’s dreams and not as overtly as in the book. If it is all voiceover, “Steve” could very well be Ishamael. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are cut entirely. (I really think they are going to make major changes to the ending). 

I agree that Agelmar has to be there. I doubt we meet Uno or Masema until season 2. 

I absolutely believe they cut her. 

This is an interesting one. I would think Morgase has to be there. Although I could see a scenario where they rewrite Camelyn to focus on Rand’s interaction with Logan. 

Byrne:

Unnecessary. He can be cast later. In fact, it’s probably preferable. 

Elaida:

This one for sure. I’m wondering whether she’s already been cast, but they are playing coy. 

Not sure why people think it’s Aviendha. I see that as very unlikely. Rhuarc is a possibility. But like I said in my post above, probably the dying maidens who speak to the Tinkers. 

Agree. They’ll wait until season 2 for Verin. Please, please, please cast Margo Martindale...

I think the Green Man will be eliminated. 

Gitara Morosso

I agree she’ll be in it. May not be an announced casting though since I suspect we only see her once. 

Lews Therin -Youd think they HAVE to show the prologue at some point.

Prologue won’t show up until season 2, I’m betting. So no Lews Therin. 

Tigraine quite possibly 

Nah. Unless there’s a shot of her corpse. 

Probably a composite. And probably not in season 1. 

On 9/2/2020 at 3:43 PM, johnnysd said:

Ishamael (obviously)

Bold just to see responses

This might not be so obvious. I can definitely envision a season 1 where Ishamael exists only in Rand’s dreams and not as overtly as in the book. If it is all voiceover, “Steve” could very well be Ishamael. 

I guess they could just show flame and shadow in a CGI face where the main quality is voice. Still needs to be cast for the fight at the Eye

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are cut entirely. (I really think they are going to make major changes to the ending).  I think we have discussed this before. I know you hate the Eye.There will definitely be changes to the story, but to eliminate the climax that Jordan wrote seems outlandish. I would be interested in how you think the season will end and build to if the Eye is completely changed.

I could see them cutting one of them for cost savings but both make sense in the narrative. I know you hate the ending but based on some Rafe comments I doubt it is changed much except for maybe expanding Tarwin's Gap since it is one of Rafe's favorite scenes and one he wants to see the most.

I agree that Agelmar has to be there. I doubt we meet Uno or Masema until season 2. 

I have always thought Season 1 will end with the start of the hunt for the horn, but that also means a lot of casting. That said I think they are filming episode 9 like in October so the important parts, Ingtar, Anaiya, Masema, Uno, Hurin? might not even be cast yet

I absolutely believe they cut her. 

I just can't see it. Kate Franz time on set roughly aligns with when they would have filmed Elayne, and they are in Caemlyn so I think she is there but kept secret well. I expect we get a big casting announcement this Wednesday when the book read ends.

This is an interesting one. I would think Morgase has to be there. Although I could see a scenario where they rewrite Camelyn to focus on Rand’s interaction with Logan. 

Seems like they are going to show Logain being captured so I do expect them to focus on Logain and Rand meeting.  Meeting Elayne, Gawyn/Galad, Morgase and Elaida seems so important though. Lots of people though to hide as being cast so maybe all of them take place in Season 2 some where

Byrne:

Unnecessary. He can be cast later. In fact, it’s probably preferable. 

Agree

Elaida:

This one for sure. I’m wondering whether she’s already been cast, but they are playing coy. 

Maybe if they do show it all but I don't see Elaida without the others so maybe all of this is not there.

Not sure why people think it’s Aviendha. I see that as very unlikely. Rhuarc is a possibility. But like I said in my post above, probably the dying maidens who speak to the Tinkers. 

Why would it be unlikely? Rhuarc would be a minor surprise, or Bain and Chiad, but I think that they travel to Tar Valon before using the ways, so moving the Aiel encounter from Book 2 and having Aviendha would be a great gift to book fans.

Agree. They’ll wait until season 2 for Verin. Please, please, please cast Margo Martindale...

Verin is a reasonably demanding role athletically. I think Margo or Imelda Stuanton would both be great but they need someone in shape for the role  

I think the Green Man will be eliminated. 

I think the odds of cutting The Green Man is literally zero.

Gitara Morosso

I agree she’ll be in it. May not be an announced casting though since I suspect we only see her once. 

Lews Therin -Youd think they HAVE to show the prologue at some point.

Prologue won’t show up until season 2, I’m betting. So no Lews Therin. 

Possibly. Could see it as part of the New Spring flashbacks too as exposition

Tigraine quite possibly 

Nah. Unless there’s a shot of her corpse. 

Probably a composite. And probably not in season 1. 

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:
 I think we have discussed this before. I know you hate the Eye.There will definitely be changes to the story, but to eliminate the climax that Jordan wrote seems outlandish. I would be interested in how you think the season will end and build to if the Eye is completely changed.

I don’t hate the Eye. But we have to remember that Jordan wasn’t certain that he would get to publish his entire masterpiece. He admittedly wrote the end to feel like an end. And the result is something that worked in the books but may not work as well on screen. 

I don’t think they will get rid of the Eye entirely. But I do think the way they get there will change. I think the Green Man and the Foresaken will be eliminated entirely. 

If it were me, the tension of the season will be in the realization that the Aes Sedai are dangerous to our heroes. I would stoke the tension between needing to heal Mat and being afraid that Rand will be gentled (like we see happen to Logain). 

I would have Moiraine realize that the Tower isn’t safe and maybe settle on the Eye as the only other chance for Mat or something. 

When Rand uses the power of the Eye (just to beat some shadow spawn), he ends up at the Gap. It can be a major revelation for the audience (“oh snap! He’s the Dragon!), ratchet up the tension (oh snap! Siuan is headed to Fal Dara too - Rand is gonna be gentled!), and flip expectations when Siuan turns out to be on team Rand. 

I think if the show is going to work, they should always choose to focus on character ahead of plot. There’s more growth if the Eye is something that happens on the way to Fal Dara as opposed to being the destination. 

But that’s just my $0.02

23 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I don’t hate the Eye. But we have to remember that Jordan wasn’t certain that he would get to publish his entire masterpiece. He admittedly wrote the end to feel like an end. And the result is something that worked in the books but may not work as well on screen. 

I don’t think they will get rid of the Eye entirely. But I do think the way they get there will change. I think the Green Man and the Foresaken will be eliminated entirely. 

If it were me, the tension of the season will be in the realization that the Aes Sedai are dangerous to our heroes. I would stoke the tension between needing to heal Mat and being afraid that Rand will be gentled (like we see happen to Logain). 

I would have Moiraine realize that the Tower isn’t safe and maybe settle on the Eye as the only other chance for Mat or something. 

When Rand uses the power of the Eye (just to beat some shadow spawn), he ends up at the Gap. It can be a major revelation for the audience (“oh snap! He’s the Dragon!), ratchet up the tension (oh snap! Siuan is headed to Fal Dara too - Rand is gonna be gentled!), and flip expectations when Siuan turns out to be on team Rand. 

I think if the show is going to work, they should always choose to focus on character ahead of plot. There’s more growth if the Eye is something that happens on the way to Fal Dara as opposed to being the destination. 

But that’s just my $0.02

That was some damn good $0.02! Sounds very plausible

On 9/6/2020 at 8:01 AM, Elder_Haman said:

But that’s just my $0.02

There are no wrong opinions but I cant even wrap my head around this one. Somestha IS the Eye of the World in essence so eliminating him would just be bizarre. Plus he is the last "good" link to the age of legends. Not to mention the horn, banner, seal, Tarwin's Gap fight against Ishamael.  The vast majority of readers I think really like the eye but you hate it. I hate Dumai Well's so not every big fan like we are likes everything about the books. I think the question of Siuan gentling Rand is already there.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There are no wrong opinions but I cant even wrap my head around this one. Somestha IS the Eye of the World in essence so eliminating him would just be bizarre. Plus he is the last "good" link to the age of legends. Not to mention the horn, banner, seal, Tarwin's Gap fight against Ishamael.  The vast majority of readers I think really like the eye but you hate it. I hate Dumai Well's so not every big fan like we are likes everything about the books. I think the question of Siuan gentling Rand is already there.

When I think a little more about it, I could see “the Green Man is the only chance to save Mat if the Tower isn’t safe” being the plot line. 

Do you consider Aginor/Balthamel indispensable?

On 9/6/2020 at 9:01 AM, Elder_Haman said:

But that’s just my $0.02

I love this point and totally agree that the main focus MUST be the characters rather than checking endless boxes of places and events. A big reason GOT was so great we’re the fascinating characters. My biggest hope for a successful series is doing the characters really well. 

2 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

When I think a little more about it, I could see “the Green Man is the only chance to save Mat if the Tower isn’t safe” being the plot line. 

Do you consider Aginor/Balthamel indispensable?

No I could see doing it without them. You could create other situations that required Rand to channel and start to use the Eye and lead to Somesthas death and then the transition to Tarwins' Gap. But I think it would be better with them.

To me they add so much. 

Here is what I would do. I would add scenes to the show with Ishamael and Aginor and Balthamel where he directs them to go to the eye and use it to fully free the Dark One and also mentioning that the Eye could also be used to reseal the DO's prison.

Then you could have some small dialogue added scenes to better explain why the  good guys need to go to the Eye.

That could set up a truly epic episode where the Forsaken and Moiraine and company race to the Eye. The main group fighting off the blight while Aginor controls it. Then you could do the ending mostly as written and it would make complete sense.  

2 hours ago, dssharp said:

I love this point and totally agree that the main focus MUST be the characters rather than checking endless boxes of places and events. A big reason GOT was so great we’re the fascinating characters. My biggest hope for a successful series is doing the characters really well. 

I think everyone would agree with this but through the first 5 seasons or so GOT still hit almost every major event in the story I would expect WoT to do the same.

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

No I could see doing it without them. You could create other situations that required Rand to channel and start to use the Eye and lead to Somesthas death and then the transition to Tarwins' Gap. But I think it would be better with them.

To me they add so much. 

Here is what I would do. I would add scenes to the show with Ishamael and Aginor and Balthamel where he directs them to go to the eye and use it to fully free the Dark One and also mentioning that the Eye could also be used to reseal the DO's prison.

Then you could have some small dialogue added scenes to better explain why the  good guys need to go to the Eye.

That could set up a truly epic episode where the Forsaken and Moiraine and company race to the Eye. The main group fighting off the blight while Aginor controls it. Then you could do the ending mostly as written and it would make complete sense.  

Really like this thought to amplify the threat of the Forsaken and the potential magnitude of the Eye.

I'd keep the Aes Sedai as solely responsible for the idea the Eye is necessary to reseal the prison of the Dark One and that all is lost if the Dragon does not use the Eye just so.  Leave it to Ishy to purport the Eye could free the DO and use that to set spurs as you suggest.

Sets up a nice climax at the Eye and then the Aes Sedai (Moi/Siuan) reactions to the depleted Eye but DO still active and maybe more Forsaken free.

4 hours ago, Fano'Lan Redux said:

Really like this thought to amplify the threat of the Forsaken and the potential magnitude of the Eye.

I'd keep the Aes Sedai as solely responsible for the idea the Eye is necessary to reseal the prison of the Dark One and that all is lost if the Dragon does not use the Eye just so.  Leave it to Ishy to purport the Eye could free the DO and use that to set spurs as you suggest.

Sets up a nice climax at the Eye and then the Aes Sedai (Moi/Siuan) reactions to the depleted Eye but DO still active and maybe more Forsaken free.

Just so you know this is actually the real reason for them being there so it is not "new" for some reason Jordan decided to not reveal this until much later in the books

You probably Ishamael and Aginor or Ishy and Balthamel but not three Foresaken, I just it's too much at the being to have two and a half foresaken die. Might be better just to have Aginor or Balthamel alone as even if you have him die once and come back as Moridin, having Ishy die three times would be a bit much.

Why would the Forsaken need the pool of saidin to free the Dark One?  The Taint is immaterial to them, the Dark One protects them from it.  All they should really need is a sa'angreal.  Which would likely be even safer, as Aginor burned himself up trying to channel half of it, trying to wrest control of it from Rand. Meaning the giant Well that is the Eye lacks a buffer, where most angreal and sa'angreal have them.

The biggest problem with the Eye is that there's no good reason for the Shadow to be all that interested in it.  It's not holding back the Blight or interfering with the Shadow's influence.  The relics it protects, and even the storehouse of purified saidin are not directly useful to them, only by denying them to Team Light should they be of any interest at all.  And what's the point of Ishy's repeated insistence that he's going to "blind the Eye of the World?" What does that even mean, regarding something that doesn't see?  For that matter, why do young Borderlander warriors have a tradition of seeking the Eye?  Just to chill with the Green Man for a minute?

I reckon what we'll see is the legend of the Eye increased, along with its accessibility and use to Aes Sedai.  Include a legend that "to stand in sight of the Eye will reveal your true self" and a lot of minor plot holes can be sealed up, and make room for a bigger role for Logain in season one.  Give the Aes Sedai a tradition that any male who can channel that proclaims themselves the Dragon Reborn must be brought to the Eye to be tested before being gentled, and you can drag him along with the Amryiln Seat to Fal Dara, and gives them a better excuse to be there.  It gives a better reason for Borderlander youths to be risking their lives to seek it out.  It gives Moiraine a better reason for suddenly switching destinations besides a few dreams (that could be a goad/trap, and in fact were) and a couple of years-old stories, after she learns that Logain has been captured.  It gives a stronger motivation to the Shadow to want to "blind" it, so that the Dragon cannot be revealed to the Aes Sedai.  And it can explain why Rand is so proficient with a Power he didn't even know he could use, when he overpowers Aginor, wipes out the Trolloc army at Tarwin's Gap, and confronts Ba'alzamon/Ishamael, as the effects of such revelation could be an "Avatar-state" like effect on him.  And then, why later on, he's still fumbling around with the Power trying to learn.

Edited by Thrasymachus

18 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

Why would the Forsaken need the pool of saidin to free the Dark One?  The Taint is immaterial to them, the Dark One protects them from it.  All they should really need is a sa'angreal.  Which would likely be even safer, as Aginor burned himself up trying to channel half of it, trying to wrest control of it from Rand. Meaning the giant Well that is the Eye lacks a buffer, where most angreal and sa'angreal have them.

The biggest problem with the Eye is that there's no good reason for the Shadow to be all that interested in it.  It's not holding back the Blight or interfering with the Shadow's influence.  The relics it protects, and even the storehouse of purified saidin are not directly useful to them, only by denying them to Team Light should they be of any interest at all.  And what's the point of Ishy's repeated insistence that he's going to "blind the Eye of the World?" What does that even mean, regarding something that doesn't see?  For that matter, why do young Borderlander warriors have a tradition of seeking the Eye?  Just to chill with the Green Man for a minute?

I reckon what we'll see is the legend of the Eye increased, along with its accessibility and use to Aes Sedai.  Include a legend that "to stand in sight of the Eye will reveal your true self" and a lot of minor plot holes can be sealed up, and make room for a bigger role for Logain in season one.  Give the Aes Sedai a tradition that any male who can channel that proclaims themselves the Dragon Reborn must be brought to the Eye to be tested before being gentled, and you can drag him along with the Amryiln Seat to Fal Dara, and gives them a better excuse to be there.  It gives a better reason for Borderlander youths to be risking their lives to seek it out.  It gives Moiraine a better reason for suddenly switching destinations besides a few dreams (that could be a goad/trap, and in fact were) and a couple of years-old stories, after she learns that Logain has been captured.  It gives a stronger motivation to the Shadow to want to "blind" it, so that the Dragon cannot be revealed to the Aes Sedai.  And it can explain why Rand is so proficient with a Power he didn't even know he could use, when he overpowers Aginor, wipes out the Trolloc army at Tarwin's Gap, and confronts Ba'alzamon/Ishamael, as the effects of such revelation could be an "Avatar-state" like effect on him.  And then, why later on, he's still fumbling around with the Power trying to learn.

I'd go a totally different way entirely. 

Moiraine becomes increasingly uncomfortable with what's happening in Tar Valon vis-a-vis Logain. Most of this is initially hinted at (whispered conversations with Lan, notes from people, pigeons, etc.), but becomes more overt after Shadar Logoth.

When they reunite, Moiraine is able to partially heal Mat - but because of her distrust of the Tower she decides to seek the Green Man who has the power to heal Mat. This is made easier by the presence of Loial.

But this allows the writers to make Moiraine's motivation here slippery. She says she wants to find the Green Man because of Mat, but what she really needs is an answer about Rand that only the Green Man can give. So they venture to find the Green Man.

They're still chased - by darkfriends who overhear about the Green Man, know the legends, and want to seize the power for themselves. We have an epic battle during which the Green Man is killed.

As he dies, the Green Man becomes a pool of untainted saidin which Rand uses to channel and kill the attackers, but also opens him up to psychic attack by Ishy (only I think I'd make it Aginor instead) who is leading the forces at Tarwin's Gap.

Aginor (who has taken the Ishy role in Rand's dreams) and Rand battle inside Tel'aran'rhiod while the Borderlanders (who we haven't met) face off against a huge horde of Trollocs (who we have). Rand beats Aginor and the resulting explosion kills Aginor's Trollocs. 

The Dragon Banner, Horn, etc. are found in the Green Man's nest.

But Mat isn't healed. And now people are wondering whether Moiraine led them into a trap. Or whether she just wanted the Horn and the Banner for the Tower and is now going to sacrifice Rand.

The group heads for Fal Dara where it's been revealed the Amyrlin Seat is due to arrive on the heels of us having watched her gentle Logain. 

After this ending, it should be easy to understand Rand and Mat inherently distrust the Aes Sedai and why Rand starts to be such a dick to Moiraine. It will pull on the tension between Nynaeve wanting to reflexively take Egwene's side (gender tension!) and her desire to protect Rand and Mat from the "outsider". And it allows the audience to see Egwene become a total Tower fangirl.

Rather than playing up the lore - make choices that hardens the perspectives that shape these characters moving forward.