DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Liitha

Human rights - how to do better

Ok so let's talk about this and how it applies to you...and do you actually in some shape or form let it take place in your descision making and choices

The world ain't perfect, nor are we, and we all make mistakes...but if we let ourself focus on that and let ourself be consumed in the past its going to keep us from moving forward....

So let's discuss not what we as society can do better...but what we, you and me, in  our everyday life can do to make the human rights come true...and make the world a better place for future generations

And a sum up of what the human rights are from https://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/human-rights/

Human rights are rights inherent to all human beings, regardless of race, sex, nationality, ethnicity, language, religion, or any other status. Human rights include the right to life and liberty, freedom from slavery and torture, freedom of opinion and expression, the right to work and education, and many more.  Everyone is entitled to these rights, without discrimination. 

❤️

I love this thread @Liitha

Earlier today I prepared a communication plan at work to make sure that all the UN International Days (for women's right, against slavery, ...) are mentioned in our monthly newsletter. It's a small step but I thought it to be the least we could do.

People need to be reminded of what still needs to change, of what we still need to work on (some of course know and are already doing a lot, but they are not the majority i think).

It's so overwhelming....but it's to easy to blame the system and politics....yes they need changing too...but the standard for what is ok and not we set..

Tighter all of us one breadcrumb at a time every day

So often it would cost us so little to say no I disagree, it may be a bit uncomfortable...but maybe it makes a person who has power to change something think twice...because society expectations do Cary a load in our choices...

Especially with our elders they are making descisions for the future, and yes youths of all times tend to get idealistic...but when things changed if those now adults do not say well we are no longer youths and we still disagree...they may actually think they are doing what we want if we don't say anything...

I work through work on making changes and has no problem pointing out issues, but privately I often stayed clear I just want peace but that's pushing the problem ahead instead of making a better tomorrow for my kid...so I did speak up this weekend in a debate about metoish issue and I didn't back down...it wasn't personal it was from media...but I actually spoke up to family members...yes uncomfortable then and there...but after I actually feel good...and we are still on speaking terms 😉

If you are still speaking then it's all good 🙂

I notice that sometimes here older people use outdated and offensive words because these were the words their family members/friends used when they were younger. It's not always easy to make them understand why they should change their vocabulary

The good thing is that we pay attention, we care, and that will have a big impact on the way our kids see the world.

It's also their own experiences from their time and age which just is not acceptable or comparable even....the world changed 

But since I am sick I don't have too much interactions these days with people. But yeah always tried at work but been more careful in private...as a mom though I am fed up with it all...we all know better so it's just doing better but in a way that's positive so we inspire others to do too....

So anyone else has good examples that can help inspire us all (I also tend to have more brainfreeze moments when I walk out the office door if I got conflict subjects)

I do very little for human rights... I do this thing where I smile at people on the streats like really smily how you would do to someone you know not just politely..It's my own little way of making the world a better place one smile at a time lol..a lot of people just frowns at me, but old people, and immigrants smiles back, says hi, or even stops to chat a little.

One time a teen that looked a little sad smiled the most bright smile you can imagine back (I wanted to squeeze them and tell them whatever was wrong would be ok but thought that to be a liiiittle to much still like to think I made them feel seen) and if it seems like a kid is lost or hurt I stop and help them if they need no matter if I'm late. Maybe not human right percee but isn't it a human right to feel wanted and seen, it should be?

At work, one of my products is assistive technology, so I work to normalize disabilities. For my company, I strive to change the culture within. And I try to do the same outside work too, for anyone, not just those with disabilities. I feel like the best thing I can do for society and other humans is to listen. I think @Hayl3y has a great point in that older generations have a different mindset that just isn't relevant anymore. I'm 43, and though I don't consider myself older, I am aware I may have those biases imparted onto me from my parents, so I make efforts every day to educate myself, and to listen....and not be defensive or offended. It is my hope that if I ever say anything that is outdated or insensitive, please feel free to be open with me about it. It might make me cry, because I would never intentionally hurt or offend, but I am so open to learning and being better, and I can't be if no one says anything.

1 hour ago, Phaedra said:

At work, one of my products is assistive technology, so I work to normalize disabilities. For my company, I strive to change the culture within. And I try to do the same outside work too, for anyone, not just those with disabilities. I feel like the best thing I can do for society and other humans is to listen. I think @Hayl3y has a great point in that older generations have a different mindset that just isn't relevant anymore. I'm 43, and though I don't consider myself older, I am aware I may have those biases imparted onto me from my parents, so I make efforts every day to educate myself, and to listen....and not be defensive or offended. It is my hope that if I ever say anything that is outdated or insensitive, please feel free to be open with me about it. It might make me cry, because I would never intentionally hurt or offend, but I am so open to learning and being better, and I can't be if no one says anything.

I like what you say about how important it is to be open and talk about stuff. Even if we don't mean to hurt anyone it could happen that something we say does, and it's important to learn from it.

13 minutes ago, Hayl3y said:

I like what you say about how important it is to be open and talk about stuff. Even if we don't mean to hurt anyone it could happen that something we say does, and it's important to learn from it.

Word sister.

I should also add....the crying comes from embarrassment and acknowledgement of being in the wrong, however unintentional. It takes courage from all sides to be able to point out the wrongs, and to admit to those wrongs. It's hard, it's painful, but that's how it is with growth. And we are ALL better for it.

Nods In a polarized world it's very easy for some to set the stage of debate too by crying loudest...and it's so important now that this is not allowed...yes it's uncomfortable saying hey now no I do not agree with you not all the way anyway

Because I feel debates are more and more made very black and white...but the world is so full of colors to pick compromises and solutions from. We need to show more understanding for eachother and acknowledge that there isn't just one way to go about things

7 hours ago, Liitha said:

Because I feel debates are more and more made very black and white...but the world is so full of colors to pick compromises and solutions from. We need to show more understanding for each other and acknowledge that there isn't just one way to go about things

Agree wholeheartedly....the world IS full of color, and that is what makes it so beautiful. Black and white has it's place, because there are some things that are that simple, but life is nuanced, and so are people. I appreciate and celebrate the spectrum in which we live 🌈.

On 9/16/2020 at 11:06 AM, Liitha said:

Nods In a polarized world it's very easy for some to set the stage of debate too by crying loudest...and it's so important now that this is not allowed...yes it's uncomfortable saying hey now no I do not agree with you not all the way anyway

Because I feel debates are more and more made very black and white...but the world is so full of colors to pick compromises and solutions from. We need to show more understanding for eachother and acknowledge that there isn't just one way to go about things

I think the same about the behavior of the police towards their citizens. On the page https://writingbros.com/essay-examples/police-brutality/ you can read essays illustrating the manifestations of police brutality, which speaks of a certain injustice of the general systemic organization of society.

I absolutely agree with you. very deep thoughts that respond within me.

Edited by Bandilore

On 9/21/2020 at 9:32 PM, Bandilore said:

I absolutely agree with you. very deep thoughts that respond within me.

Hi welcome to the warders, yeah I been feeling more and more something need to be done about debate climate it's so unreasonable.

Like just with abortion it's a big difference between it being legal, and it being legal right up too and over the age limit we save premature babies (which sadly is the case some places). Just to mention one of the topics that's debated. It's really I feel the same with a lot of discussions going on now on so many topic, and also a lack of wanting to see that several of the topics are connected and is just different elements of the same faulty system.

And you can't make changes without actually doing something about it, like raising a new generation and setting new norms by telling, showing and even subtly influencing their norm through something as simple as making sure they have the option of variety in their game play... because norms are built over time