DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Indexed Sequential Access Methods, Luc, and Trollocs

Kalessin

Has anybody else commented on this? That in their final attack on Emond's field, the Trollocs charge, shouting ISAM! (ISAM is an IBM technical term for data file access, "Indexed Sequential Access Methods".)

I'm wondering if it's an in-joke of some sort, or perhaps Robert Jordan had a bad experience with an obnoxious IBM staffer or salesman while in service in Vietnam, and decided to make a joke of it? Did he ever explain this?

Isam is a name of a Malkieri prince whose parents betrayed the nation to the Shadow in its fall. He is in the books, since he is actually known as Slayer, and Perrin's foe. He is also Lan's cousin, and also an infant, whom was thought lost in the Blasted Lands, and therefore, dead. 

Edited by wotfan4472

^^ what he said.  Isam was Lan’s cousin whose parents betrayed Malkier and brought about the country’s downfall.  He and his parents (mother?) were overrun by Trollocs as Lan’s guard spririted him away.  He’s presumed dead for that reason.

Isam and Luc (Luc being Rand’s uncle, brother to Tigraine/Shael, killer of Rand’s father Janduin) are two sides of the same coin that is Slayer.  Slayer can switch between being Isam or Luc, as well as between the waking and dream worlds.  I believe he can be either in either place (I feel like there was an instance where he was spying on the wondergirls in the Andorran Royal Palace in Tel’aran’rhiod as Luc), though we generally see Luc in the real world, and Isam in the dream world.

• Community Administrator
5 hours ago, Kalessin said:

Has anybody else commented on this? That in their final attack on Emond's field, the Trollocs charge, shouting ISAM! (ISAM is an IBM technical term for data file access, "Indexed Sequential Access Methods".)

I'm wondering if it's an in-joke of some sort, or perhaps Robert Jordan had a bad experience with an obnoxious IBM staffer or salesman while in service in Vietnam, and decided to make a joke of it? Did he ever explain this?

What the other's said is true.

However, I wouldn't put it past RJ to have thrown a random Easter egg like this in there.

RJ had a degree in Physics, and was a former Navy Nuclear Engineer. So chances are, he might have actually been involved with some early computer stuff with IBM staffers/salesmen