DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First Time reader of WOT

Grachus

Hello everyone,

I am currently reading the WOT series for the first time.  I am halfway through The Shadow Rising right at this point and this particular book more than the previous 3  has hooked me so much I had to find a forum where I could talk about the books while I am reading them.

Hi Elgee, Shadow Rising is the 4th book.  I've got about 300 pages left to go. My favorite character changes about every hundred pages:-) At the moment it is Mat. I think I may have to stay away from these forums until I have completed reading the series.  I mostly hate spoilers and I already saw a huge one in a thread title.

Hi, I'm new to the Wheel of Time. I've wanted to read the series for a few years, so in January I set myself the challenge to read it all by the end of the year. Easy!

However, I lost momentum early on, and as it happens I'm just over half way book 2, when I should be on book 9.

I've picked up the pace, but I worked out that I need to read about 80 pages per day to succeed.

Not too confident now, but I shall persevere!

Anyway, I'm just glad to be here ?

Hi Chicane, about a third of the way through The Shadow Rising I became so immersed I could not stop reading.  That has continued into The Fires Of Heaven which I am reading now.  You may find the same thing I thought the first books were entertaining but Jordan raises the bar in book 4. I have no idea how things are after book 5. 

Hi Grachus.

Just bagged a further 35 pages of the Great Hunt. There's not much action in it so far, but it trots along nicely. Starting to really enjoy it, but the first couple of hundred pages were soo slooooow...

I need to average one book every 10 days to finish on time.

• 1 month later...

I've made it into Lord Of Chaos. The Shadow Rising is my favorite book at this point. LOC is starting out gangbusters. I am not even at the half way point so I will be stuck here in my cell so as not to go out into the spoiler jungle that is the rest of this forum?.  Visitors to my cell here are always welcome.

Hi Grachus.

I'm 2/3 of the way through the Great Hunt. I've given it a rest for a few weeks, but need to get back in to it. It's a bit of a toil at times. What he says in 30 pages, I'm sure he could say in 10. There is lots to like about the second book. Looking forward to the third book.

oh now i miss having time and energy to really massively read and imerse myself in books looking at you two speeding away into them

there generally not too many spoilers if you dig into the social clubs, there sometimes a discussion on books or we have quizes, but you can easily avoid them really by stearing clear based on title

and heaps of stuff for people to do, just depend on what your flavor is, you find most anything in the white tower and warders to some degree or another, you got evilness and spam in SG or tvshow and movie debates in entertainment club, art soon to be found in artsclub (both for those creating and those wanting to learn to make or just want to enjoy others ;))

and so much more so i would recomend heading into the club section then to interact

16 minutes ago, Liitha said:

oh now i miss having time and energy to really massively read and imerse myself in books looking at you two speeding away into them

there generally not too many spoilers if you dig into the social clubs, there sometimes a discussion on books or we have quizes, but you can easily avoid them really by stearing clear based on title

and heaps of stuff for people to do, just depend on what your flavor is, you find most anything in the white tower and warders to some degree or another, you got evilness and spam in SG or tvshow and movie debates in entertainment club, art soon to be found in artsclub (both for those creating and those wanting to learn to make or just want to enjoy others ;))

and so much more so i would recomend heading into the club section then to interact

Thanks for the tips.?.  I do have to point out that the reason I have been sticking here is I already learned of a character's death from a thread title. In other words the spoiler was right in the title. Paraphrasing the spoiler in the thread title, "Why did so and so kill so and so?"

sounds like a books discusion tread...

like in wt and warders its more like (if there is book related debates) who is your favourite AS or who is your favorite Ajah, or new spring quiz or such

mostly you will find stuff like say in

gray ajah the cookbook or Making Your Own Beer or today I ....

brown ajah book challenge, mythology, things you apriciate as you get older

blue ajah - umbrella accademy fans, animal crossing NH, what fantasy creature would you be

green ajah - bonding insights, whats the last thing you ate, (and i believe they are planning a halloween event atm)

red ajah - passion, intimidating personalities, female rollemodels

white ajah - terms of endearment, logic puzle, are you a healthy sleeper

yellow ajah - Aries pillow fortress, seen any good movie or TVshow, sing along

Warders (3 disciplines who shares boards)- we just finished a holmes event, pictophone game tread, epic creatures, yoga challenge, the moat and mothers tavern, what in the where, who am i (and many various other easy games).

basically more about interaction, hobbies, social activeties and such, we do debate stuff also but generally about the subjects from RL we feel pationate about or such...not much wot specific, we sometimes do ajah quizes and such but one its easy to avoid by titles as the activety is not about the books but there migth be comments in the treads that may refer to the books, but otherwise not so much...

56 minutes ago, Liitha said:

sounds like a books discusion tread...

like in wt and warders its more like (if there is book related debates) who is your favourite AS or who is your favorite Ajah, or new spring quiz or such

mostly you will find stuff like say in

gray ajah the cookbook or Making Your Own Beer or today I ....

brown ajah book challenge, mythology, things you apriciate as you get older

blue ajah - umbrella accademy fans, animal crossing NH, what fantasy creature would you be

green ajah - bonding insights, whats the last thing you ate, (and i believe they are planning a halloween event atm)

red ajah - passion, intimidating personalities, female rollemodels

white ajah - terms of endearment, logic puzle, are you a healthy sleeper

yellow ajah - Aries pillow fortress, seen any good movie or TVshow, sing along

Warders (3 disciplines who shares boards)- we just finished a holmes event, pictophone game tread, epic creatures, yoga challenge, the moat and mothers tavern, what in the where, who am i (and many various other easy games).

basically more about interaction, hobbies, social activeties and such, we do debate stuff also but generally about the subjects from RL we feel pationate about or such...not much wot specific, we sometimes do ajah quizes and such but one its easy to avoid by titles as the activety is not about the books but there migth be comments in the treads that may refer to the books, but otherwise not so much...

I'll make sure to give those a look.

Yah...I'm on book four and there's plenty of people on their first read in the clubs..I've never seen any spoilers for wot..If it were of course like mumsy says, it's my own decision to be in there, but I find people in general are sympathetic to the fact not all are done with the books. Also there are rules in the clubs, like you cannot just take over a thread discussing another theme than the threads set theme, at length. So as long as you keep out of the (more or less non existent lol) threads with possible wot related stickys, like Lii said, you'll be fine. ?

And very welcome whenever you choose to join?

6 minutes ago, Grachus said:

Okay, I am a knucklehead. I kept looking in the forums I didn't realize the clubs are a different section. Time to explore. Btw, I retired last month so I have plenty of time to read?

lolz yeah i was a bit what happened here myself when i returned after some years hiatus last year, cause in past everything used to be on one board set..but looking forth to see you over in the clubs hopefully then ?

1 minute ago, Liitha said:

lolz yeah i was a bit what happened here myself when i returned after some years hiatus last year, cause in past everything used to be on one board set..but looking forth to see you over in the clubs hopefully then ?

I just joined the AS & warders club.  Now I just got to figure out what it's all about?.  I'll check out some others too.

19 hours ago, Grachus said:

I just joined the AS & warders club.  Now I just got to figure out what it's all about?.  I'll check out some others too.

It's all about making sure my Kaf is served on time and at the right temperature.