DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

5 reasons to stay (mostly) with EotW for Season 1

Lots of people see season one extending well into tGH. I don't see it - casting decisions, episode titles, and leaked set photos notwithstanding. And more importantly, I think that if the show is going to be the best that it can be, it needs to stick to Book 1 for season 1.

I say "the best that it can be" because there is simply no way for a tv series - no matter how well done - to be a scene-for-scene duplication of the books. It's not possible and would also suck. But a truly great show will preserve Jordan's world building, main characters, and plot. It needs to be written to be an engaging, entertaining show for people who have not read the books. That, in turn, means that it has to be structured and paced for a television audience.

Amazon doesn't want just another show. They are looking for Emmys and "Game of Thrones" type buzz. The source material can give it to them if executed correctly. Here are 5 reasons why sticking mostly to book one is the best choice:

(1) BUYING TIME

Special effects, makeup, costumes, set design. These things take time. Each time you add a location, these issues come into play. Jordan's world is vast. The various ways the One Power is utilized is going to require thousands of man hours of special effects work. Not to mention the careful planning required to make sure that the various production elements are flexible enough to accommodate the addition of multiple cultures, new fantasy elements, and power creep. 

By sticking to book one, the producers limit the number of production elements. This will allow them to get these few elements just right and allowing the design team time to get the new elements right too. Think about it this way - would you rather rush ahead to the battle of Falme? Or would you rather have the special effects for that battle carefully developed and redeveloped over the course of a couple of years? Patience will pay huge dividends.

(2) ACCESSIBILITY

One of the problems with fantasy tv adaptations is that they aren't accessible to fans outside the genre. Game of Thrones succeeded by keeping the fantastic elements mostly to the sidelines. That's really not an option for the Wheel of Time. What is an option is introducing the fantasy elements slowly - gradually allowing viewers to get accustomed to the fantastic elements. Fortunately, in this regard the writers can simply follow Robert Jordan's lead.

New viewers will begin in a familiar place a quaint village where everyone seems pretty normal. They then get to learn about the "rules" of this new world alongside the Emond's Fielders as they flee from a supernatural attack. By sticking to Eye of the World, writers can allow viewers to grow in their knowledge of the world along with the main characters.

(3) MORE CHARACTER - LESS EXPOSITION

This is closely related to (2)...

Characters are the key to good television. A gripping plot is good - necessary even. But without characters that viewers can invest in, a show simply can't be great. Sticking to Book One is the best vehicle for doing this, because it allows the writer to focus on really developing the Emond's Field five.

As the group runs for their lives, viewers will get to learn who these people are and become connected with them. The characters know just as little about what's happening to them as the viewers do (think of "Walking Dead" or "Stranger Things"), so when the viewer encounters something foreign - like a Trolloc - the character is learning about it at the same time the viewer is. 

But viewers also want to understand how the characters relate to one another, how they are different from one another, and where they are in conflict. The farther the writers try to push the plot, the less time there is for slow moments where the characters can interact with one another and the more time that must be devoted to exposition - explaining why things are happening instead of experiencing them.   

(4) PLOT & PACING

Eye of the World paces perfectly over 8 episodes as a horror/thriller. The first several episodes are simply about staying alive. First, as a group and then (after Shadar Logoth) separately. Then, when the group reunites in Camelyn it becomes about keeping Mat alive. It's simple and straightforward - not much thinking required about what is happening.

That, in turn, allows for time to set up the mysteries, plots, and unanswered questions that will serve to keep people intrigued. Writers should want viewers asking questions: (Who is this Dragon guy? Is he good or bad? Is it Rand? or Mat? Or Perrin? What are Moiraine's motives? Is Nynaeve right to distrust her?) They should want viewers to be worried when they find out that Rand can channel. (He's going to go crazy! He's going to turn evil! He's going to be gentled!)

If people who are new to the series aren't buzzing about these types of questions, the writers will have missed a huge opportunity...

(5) NO NEED FOR SPEED

Many people look at the sheer volume of the written work and assume that writers must do two books at a time to avoid a 13 or 14 season series. But that's just not true at all.

First, the length of Jordan's prose is not a good indicator. Jordan is overly descriptive. What he takes 5 pages to describe exists instantly on screen. Jordan also spends a good amount of time inside characters heads, something that it will be up to the actors to depict. And there are numerous vignettes and side scenes that will undoubtedly be cut from a tv adaptation.

More importantly though, the later books are much more easily condensed. Plot lines can be tightened to where Mat's time in Ebou Dar which takes place over the course of three books can easily be handled in two or three episodes. It is perfectly feasible to not go much beyond EotW in Season One and yet still complete the series in 7 or 8 seasons.

Besides, what fan of the books wouldn't want Season 1 to end with Padan Fain escaping with the Horn?

What do y'all think?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 10:55 AM, Elder_Haman said:

Lots of people see season one extending well into tGH. I don't see it - casting decisions, episode titles, and leaked set photos notwithstanding. And more importantly, I think that if the show is going to be the best that it can be, it needs to stick to Book 1 for season 1.

I say "the best that it can be" because there is simply no way for a tv series - no matter how well done - to be a scene-for-scene duplication of the books. It's not possible and would also suck. But a truly great show will preserve Jordan's world building, main characters, and plot. It needs to be written to be an engaging, entertaining show for people who have not read the books. That, in turn, means that it has to be structured and paced for a television audience.

Amazon doesn't want just another show. They are looking for Emmys and "Game of Thrones" type buzz. The source material can give it to them if executed correctly. Here are 5 reasons why sticking mostly to book one is the best choice:

(1) BUYING TIME

Special effects, makeup, costumes, set design. These things take time. Each time you add a location, these issues come into play. Jordan's world is vast. The various ways the One Power is utilized is going to require thousands of man hours of special effects work. Not to mention the careful planning required to make sure that the various production elements are flexible enough to accommodate the addition of multiple cultures, new fantasy elements, and power creep. 

By sticking to book one, the producers limit the number of production elements. This will allow them to get these few elements just right and allowing the design team time to get the new elements right too. Think about it this way - would you rather rush ahead to the battle of Falme? Or would you rather have the special effects for that battle carefully developed and redeveloped over the course of a couple of years? Patience will pay huge dividends.

(2) ACCESSIBILITY

One of the problems with fantasy tv adaptations is that they aren't accessible to fans outside the genre. Game of Thrones succeeded by keeping the fantastic elements mostly to the sidelines. That's really not an option for the Wheel of Time. What is an option is introducing the fantasy elements slowly - gradually allowing viewers to get accustomed to the fantastic elements. Fortunately, in this regard the writers can simply follow Robert Jordan's lead.

New viewers will begin in a familiar place a quaint village where everyone seems pretty normal. They then get to learn about the "rules" of this new world alongside the Emond's Fielders as they flee from a supernatural attack. By sticking to Eye of the World, writers can allow viewers to grow in their knowledge of the world along with the main characters.

(3) MORE CHARACTER - LESS EXPOSITION

This is closely related to (2)...

Characters are the key to good television. A gripping plot is good - necessary even. But without characters that viewers can invest in, a show simply can't be great. Sticking to Book One is the best vehicle for doing this, because it allows the writer to focus on really developing the Emond's Field five.

As the group runs for their lives, viewers will get to learn who these people are and become connected with them. The characters know just as little about what's happening to them as the viewers do (think of "Walking Dead" or "Stranger Things"), so when the viewer encounters something foreign - like a Trolloc - the character is learning about it at the same time the viewer is. 

But viewers also want to understand how the characters relate to one another, how they are different from one another, and where they are in conflict. The farther the writers try to push the plot, the less time there is for slow moments where the characters can interact with one another and the more time that must be devoted to exposition - explaining why things are happening instead of experiencing them.   

(4) PLOT & PACING

Eye of the World paces perfectly over 8 episodes as a horror/thriller. The first several episodes are simply about staying alive. First, as a group and then (after Shadar Logoth) separately. Then, when the group reunites in Camelyn it becomes about keeping Mat alive. It's simple and straightforward - not much thinking required about what is happening.

That, in turn, allows for time to set up the mysteries, plots, and unanswered questions that will serve to keep people intrigued. Writers should want viewers asking questions: (Who is this Dragon guy? Is he good or bad? Is it Rand? or Mat? Or Perrin? What are Moiraine's motives? Is Nynaeve right to distrust her?) They should want viewers to be worried when they find out that Rand can channel. (He's going to go crazy! He's going to turn evil! He's going to be gentled!)

If people who are new to the series aren't buzzing about these types of questions, the writers will have missed a huge opportunity...

(5) NO NEED FOR SPEED

Many people look at the sheer volume of the written work and assume that writers must do two books at a time to avoid a 13 or 14 season series. But that's just not true at all.

First, the length of Jordan's prose is not a good indicator. Jordan is overly descriptive. What he takes 5 pages to describe exists instantly on screen. Jordan also spends a good amount of time inside characters heads, something that it will be up to the actors to depict. And there are numerous vignettes and side scenes that will undoubtedly be cut from a tv adaptation.

More importantly though, the later books are much more easily condensed. Plot lines can be tightened to where Mat's time in Ebou Dar which takes place over the course of three books can easily be handled in two or three episodes. It is perfectly feasible to not go much beyond EotW in Season One and yet still complete the series in 7 or 8 seasons.

Besides, what fan of the books wouldn't want Season 1 to end with Padan Fain escaping with the Horn?

What do y'all think?

I personally think that they are going to do all of EOTW and a portion maybe a third of TGH. My personal theory is that Nynaeve and Egwene did not travel to the Eye and the Tar Valon stuff of TGH is mostly done in Season 1.

That said, today's casting announcement sort of settles any argument about 2 books in the first season since it seems like they are not cutting pretty much anything significant from EOTW. Almost everything will be there in season 1.

I don't really agree with Point 2.  Several reasons:

1. Most people I know LOVED the magic in GOT, probably more than the showrunners did

2. GOT has made people much more open to fantasy not named LOTR

3. In the past magic was always presented as over the top camp. WOT TV show will not do that. It will be presented as just part of the world. And there will be tons of magic in the first episode they are unlikely to start slow

I agree with 3, in fact I think they may even cut Moiraines Manetheren exposition speech. They may however do their version of sexposition that GOT used for exposition.

In terms of 4 and 5 I think that Season 2 will go all the way to the end of Dragon Reborn

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That said, today's casting announcement sort of settles any argument about 2 books in the first season since it seems like they are not cutting pretty much anything significant from EOTW. Almost everything will be there in season 1.

I think this is 100% correct. If they intend to spend any time at all with the Tinkers, there's no way that you're getting anywhere near the end of book 2.

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

And there will be tons of magic in the first episode they are unlikely to start slow

I may not have been super clear in my original post  - I mean starting slow in terms of who uses magic and in what circumstances. So like EotW, Moiraine will do the vast majority of the channeling. And where anyone else is doing it purposefully, it will be very clear who it is.

But yes, I think that there will be a ton of magic used. Arresting visuals will be one of the keys to hooking people on the first few episodes.

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

In terms of 4 and 5 I think that Season 2 will go all the way to the end of Dragon Reborn

That's an interesting thought. I'll have to think about it more, but if you expand to say 10 episodes for season 2 it could be done. Though it might not allow for much time with the Seanchan.

15 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I think this is 100% correct. If they intend to spend any time at all with the Tinkers, there's no way that you're getting anywhere near the end of book 2.

I may not have been super clear in my original post  - I mean starting slow in terms of who uses magic and in what circumstances. So like EotW, Moiraine will do the vast majority of the channeling. And where anyone else is doing it purposefully, it will be very clear who it is.

But yes, I think that there will be a ton of magic used. Arresting visuals will be one of the keys to hooking people on the first few episodes.

That's an interesting thought. I'll have to think about it more, but if you expand to say 10 episodes for season 2 it could be done. Though it might not allow for much time with the Seanchan.

I agree on limited use. Moiraine will be the primary caster in most of season 1, but they may hint at someone healing Bela, and we will start to see Egwene and Nynaeve start to channel, maybe even Nynaeve's war of will with Siuan. But that will all just be preparation for Rand to unleash at TEOTW and Tarwin's Gap.

If the end of EOTW happens in episode 7, then in Episode 8 you could finish most of the Tar Valon storyline and maybe the beginning parts of Rands quest maybe ending with Fain and the Myrdraal Then I think you could easily do the rest of the Great Hunt in say 4 episodes and Dragon Reborn in 4 episodes maybe with a supersized episode or 2 in there. It's tough though 8 episodes for just TGH seems too much unless they bring other plotlines forward, but 4 hours seems not quite enough for The Dragon Reborn. 

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

But that will all just be preparation for Rand to unleash at TEOTW and Tarwin's Gap.

This will be controversial, I'm sure. But if I'm one of the writers I get rid of Tarwin's Gap entirely.

I do this for a few reasons: (1) on every re-read it becomes clear to me that Jordan tacked Tarwin's Gap on just in case the book was going to have to stand alone. It's not really necessary - as cool and fun as it is; (2) if there's going to be a big battle between Rand and Ishamael/Ba'alzamon, there should only be one and it should happen at Falme; (3) the tv series will be better served by building a little mystery into the question of the Dragon - is it Rand? Tarwin's Gap pretty brutally undermines that; and (4) the tv series is also better served by not allowing Rand to decimate an entire army of Trollocs at the end of season 1. Allowing for the massive power creep while simultaneously keeping the tension high is going to be tough. Tarwin's Gap might break the tension for the whole series.

34 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

4 hours seems not quite enough for The Dragon Reborn. 

Agreed. That's why I put it in season 3 along with tSR (which I think is easier to condense than tGH).

18 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

This will be controversial, I'm sure. But if I'm one of the writers I get rid of Tarwin's Gap entirely.

I do this for a few reasons: (1) on every re-read it becomes clear to me that Jordan tacked Tarwin's Gap on just in case the book was going to have to stand alone. It's not really necessary - as cool and fun as it is; (2) if there's going to be a big battle between Rand and Ishamael/Ba'alzamon, there should only be one and it should happen at Falme; (3) the tv series will be better served by building a little mystery into the question of the Dragon - is it Rand? Tarwin's Gap pretty brutally undermines that; and (4) the tv series is also better served by not allowing Rand to decimate an entire army of Trollocs at the end of season 1. Allowing for the massive power creep while simultaneously keeping the tension high is going to be tough. Tarwin's Gap might break the tension for the whole series.

Agreed. That's why I put it in season 3 along with tSR (which I think is easier to condense than tGH).

I don't want to search for it but Rafe said that the thing he most wanted to film was Tarwin's gap, so I suspect it is not cut.

I am not sure even if they try that the mystery of who the Dragon Reborn is can be sustained too long and is shattered no matter how you do the Eye of the World  and his power at Tarwin's Gap is explained by the pool of Saidin anyway.

I cannot for the life of me work out how anyone who has read EOTW thinks anyone but Rand is the main Protagonist and once they start talking about the Dragon Reborn it took me about 5 secs to work out it was Rand. Every chapter in EOTW where Rand is present is told from his POV. 
He is the first character we see once the story proper starts and that is normally a pretty big sign in storytelling.

11 hours ago, Harldin said:

I cannot for the life of me work out how anyone who has read EOTW thinks anyone but Rand is the main Protagonist and once they start talking about the Dragon Reborn it took me about 5 secs to work out it was Rand. Every chapter in EOTW where Rand is present is told from his POV. 
He is the first character we see once the story proper starts and that is normally a pretty big sign in storytelling.

Im with you but it does seem the TV show does want to keep it a little mysterious and without all the POVs they might be able to manage that somewhat.

12 hours ago, Harldin said:

That's clearly not what I'm saying. But tv is a different medium. The point is that RAND doesn't know he is the Dragon Reborn until he holds Callandor.

I don't mean to suggest that the tv audience shouldn't be able to figure it out before Rand takes the Stone. But for all kinds of good reasons, the show should endeavor to have the audience experience the story from the eyes of the folks from Emond's Field. Adding a little sense of drama about that helps viewers to experience the same kind of uncertainty Rand and the others do without changing the story at all. (Well, except eliminating Tarwin's Gap in my suggestion. Which it seems Rafe hasn't taken. ?)

16 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

That's clearly not what I'm saying. But tv is a different medium. The point is that RAND doesn't know he is the Dragon Reborn until he holds Callandor.

Oh he KNOWS way earlier than that, mostly after TEOTW and definitely after Falme, but he doesn't accept it until he does something of his own accord to prove it.

• Community Administrator

Obviously Rand/Mat/Perrin are the main protagonists, but I don't think even I was 100% convinced Rand was the Dragon Reborn until much later. Maybe not even until he went to Dragonmount and merged his personalities Paul Atreides/Duncan Idaho style.

Red-Herring theories were prevalent before AMOL, and I've had some pretty wild theories that would make even theoryland go "umm. No".

23 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I hadn’t thought about it, but I agree it will be difficult for the TV show to keep the tension through the power creep. I guess a middle ground may be found. It will be really interesting to see what they do ere for the tv series. 

You can keep Tarwin's Gap and avoid the power-creep plothole if you play up the Eye as something more than what it was in the books: a mere pool of purified saidin.  Add a little legend that says standing in the sight of the Eye will reveal your true self.  Tweak things a little more, say that Moiraine learns of Logain declaring himself the Dragon Reborn while escaping the Two Rivers, instead of his being captured and taken to Tar Valon via Caemlyn, and you have a somewhat more substantial reason to suddenly switch destinations than a two year old game-of-telephone story, and a couple of bad dreams.  Unsure that she's found the Dragon, she decides to set off for the Eye to be sure, instead of risking being humiliated if she shows up in Tar Valon with a boy who's not the actual Dragon Reborn.

That way, Rand's display of Power and control at the Eye against Aginor, Tarwin's Gap against the army and Ishamael's dreamshard becomes a teaser for the levels of Power he will eventually attain.  Under the influence of the Eye, he'd be a kind of avatar for the Dragon's soul, possessing all his possible Power and skill.  But once that saidin's used up and the power of the Eye is broken, he's just Rand again, and has to learn to channel just like anybody else would.

Edited by Thrasymachus

2 hours ago, Thrasymachus said:

You can keep Tarwin's Gap and avoid the power-creep plothole if you play up the Eye as something more than what it was in the books: a mere pool of purified saidin.  Add a little legend that says standing in the sight of the Eye will reveal your true self.  Tweak things a little more, say that Moiraine learns of Logain declaring himself the Dragon Reborn while escaping the Two Rivers, instead of his being captured and taken to Tar Valon via Caemlyn, and you have a somewhat more substantial reason to suddenly switch destinations than a two year old game-of-telephone story, and a couple of bad dreams.  Unsure that she's found the Dragon, she decides to set off for the Eye to be sure, instead of risking being humiliated if she shows up in Tar Valon with a boy who's not the actual Dragon Reborn.

That way, Rand's display of Power and control at the Eye against Aginor, Tarwin's Gap against the army and Ishamael's dreamshard becomes a teaser for the levels of Power he will eventually attain.  Under the influence of the Eye, he'd be a kind of avatar for the Dragon's soul, possessing all his possible Power and skill.  But once that saidin's used up and the power of the Eye is broken, he's just Rand again, and has to learn to channel just like anybody else would.

Not a fan.  I would HATE using the eye to be anything other than it is in the boks. I think the Eye is fine as it is, the vast majority do not hold the same ambivalence and confusion with regards to the Eye.

13 hours ago, Thrasymachus said:

This is pretty damn good.

Or, you could combine the Eye with the original prologue.

When Rand accesses the well of saidin, he starts seeing through Lews Therin's eyes during the prologue. He destroys the world.

And then you intercut the Breaking with the battle of Tarwin's gap. The same thing that happens in the books - Rand wins the battle at the Gap - happens. But you also get a nod to the prologue, and sort of make it plausible to non-readers that it was the Eye that did it instead of Rand. 

Edited by Elder_Haman
Posted too quick.

2 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

This is pretty damn good.

It's horrible and would alter and damage the story of tEOTW.  There is NO doubt and should never be that either Rand, at or Perrin is the DR. It is at the very core of the books. It is also not difficult to understand why they go to the Eye at all. I am OK and expect deviations but this would be show crippling.

I like the idea or some variation of it. Like others have said, you need a plausible for Rand to basically destroy an army with stuff he doesn't understand. He doesn't really gain any sort of control until book 5. You need to explain that heartbeat of control and because Taveren won't work for a wide audience.

20 minutes ago, mistborn82 said:

I like the idea or some variation of it. Like others have said, you need a plausible for Rand to basically destroy an army with stuff he doesn't understand. He doesn't really gain any sort of control until book 5. You need to explain that heartbeat of control and because Taveren won't work for a wide audience.

We can disagree. His inability to know exactly how he is doing stuff is an issue all the way to book 5 so if it is part of the show as well there will be no issue with this.