DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Other prequels, postquels

Kalessin

Did Robert Jordan leave enough materials to write any other prequels? Sequels? I would love to read of Mat and Tuon's fortunes in retaking Seanchan and Tuon's shock at discovering that his sister Bodewhin is by now an Aes Sedai ... family feuds, family dramas ....

32 minutes ago, Kalessin said:

Did Robert Jordan leave enough materials to write any other prequels? Sequels? I would love to read of Mat and Tuon's fortunes in retaking Seanchan and Tuon's shock at discovering that his sister Bodewhin is by now an Aes Sedai ... family feuds, family dramas ....

I remember reading somewhere that Harriet has publicly said Robert Jordan would not want anyone else writing any other stories other than what Sanderson done. 

Jordan did have plans for a Mat and Tuon sequel series, with Perrin apparently in it too, but died before much more than the concept was sketched.  Jordan always disliked other authors playing in his world and wasn't a fan of fanfiction, and that additude has persisted with Harriet after his death.  As they have no kids or heirs to the property, there may not be too much of a wait before the IP gets bought by a more permissive company, or goes to public domain, but it'll be some years after Harriet dies.  And even if it does happen, it probably won't be a good thing.

Edited by Thrasymachus

All RJ had of the Mat Tuon series was a paragraph.  If I remember right it was of Perin on a ship sailing to Seanchan hoping he didn't have to kill a friend.  That was pretty much it.  So any author would have to pretty much make up the entire thing, which Harriet would never allow.

RJ also had planned a prequel about Tam finding Rand but he never started it.  I think he also had planned a prequel about Moriane's looking for the dragon and heading to the Two River's.

Yep, that was the sketch I was thinking of.

There's enough detailed world-building in just the published works to have room for all kinds of stories beyond the one we got, we don't even need to get into the notes he left.  But the estate doesn't want it, so it ain't happening outside of unsanctioned fanfiction.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some stuff in other media.  We're already getting a TV adaptation, but I'd also like a comic book series exploring Hawkwing's rise, or Luthair's subjugation of Seanchan.  A sandbox survival MMO set during the Breaking.  A more traditional theme park MMO set during the Fourth Age.  A Total War version set during the period of the main books.  There's lots of stuff that could be done, but I reckon we'll have to wait until the IP is either transferred to the public domain, or bought from Harriet's estate after she wakes from the dream.

22 hours ago, Captainwilhelm96 said:

For a Total War game I'd prefer it to be set during either The War of the Hundred Years, the conquest of Seanchan or Mat and Tuon's reconquest of Seanchan. 

I would go with the Trolloc wars personally, with Manetherion at the forefront. 

Yeah, the Hundred Years War would be a good Total War mod as well.  The thing is, if it's gonna be an official release, the studio isn't gonna want to stray too far from the IP it's based on.  Mods can do whatever, but will always be fairly niche.

Trolloc Wars would probably be the best Total War mod.  The Hundred Years War would work better as a Crusader King's mod.  And the events of the books, starting from the beginning of the fifth book, would probably work best as Mount and Blade: Bannerlord mod.  And I could see the rise from the ashes of the Breaking to the founding of the Ten Nations and the White Tower being a mod of Age of Empires or Anno mod.