DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
chongjasmine

Fantasy recommendations?

Try raymond e feist with more he has most of them but some other authors also contributed its many part series to the same larger story its huge

Posted (edited)

Well, it's not quite fantasy (no magic) and they are by two completely different authors, but you could try reading Harry Harrison's West of Eden trilogy, followed by Brian Aldiss' Helliconia Trilogy. Or vice versa. Other than that, there's Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series - I love the two Prince of the Silver Hand trilogies, and the Elric of Melnibone series - others swear by the Hawkmoon books - your mileage may vary! 🙂 Failing that you could swallow your pride and enjoy the Harry Potter series ... 🙂

Edited by Kalessin
additional author

17 minutes ago, Kalessin said:

Well, it's not quite fantasy (no magic) and they are by two completely different authors, but you could try reading Harry Harrison's West of Eden trilogy, followed by Brian Aldiss' Helliconia Trilogy. Or vice versa. Other than that, there's Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series - I love the two Prince of the Silver Hand trilogies, and the Elric of Melnibone series - others swear by the Hawkmoon books - your mileage may vary! 🙂 Failing that you could swallow your pride and enjoy the Harry Potter series ... 🙂

West of Eden and Helliconia there’s a couple of blasts from the past, read both back in the day. But i think the OP wants at least 5 Books

A newer author I've enjoyed has been Brent Weeks. He has two series "Night Angel Trilogy", and "Lightbringer Series" (that's 5 books.) NA is isn't an "epic" series, but I've throughly enjoyed it for a different take on fantasy. LB has a magic system based on colors, and a main characters that span from teenagers to middle aged adults, which was refreshing since I'm getting older, and finding it harder to relate to some protagonists. 

Currently listening to First Law book one, the Blade Itself, liking it so far. certainly a different way of writing a epic fantasy, very colourful characters and set in a World that is reminiscent of the 18-19th Century but without Firearms. 

I just remembered - Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Fey series, which for all intents and purposes includes The Black Queen and The Black King. This is The Sacrifice, The Changeling, The Rival, The Resistance, and Victory. I enjoyed them.

I would recommend:

Katherine Kerr - The Deverry cycle

Robin Hobb -  Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders Trilogy, Tawny Man Trilogy, The Rain Wild Chronicles, Fitz and the Fool Trilogy in that order.  All of these books are linked in the one world and the story arcs are intertwined.

Kate Forysth - Witches of Eileanan, followed by Rhiannon's Ride

Jim Butcher - Codex Alera series

Jennifer Fallon - The Tide Lords (only 4 books though)

Most other fantasy series I would recommend are only 3 books.

Edited by Delirium

There's Roger Zelazny's Amber series. I'm currently up to Sign of the Unicorn, but there are ten books in the series, starting with Nine Princes in Amber and finishing with Prince of Chaos. Two main characters, Corwin, and his son Merlin by chaos-princess-demoness Dara, who is incidentally the great-granddaughter of his brother Benedict and the hellmaid/chaos-princess-demoness Lintra ... it's a ton of fun. 🙂 It's also the first fantasy series where a Prince of Amber (order) who is simultaneously a Prince of Chaos, earns a living as a computer programmer.

On 8/9/2020 at 10:42 AM, Fox said:

A newer author I've enjoyed has been Brent Weeks. He has two series "Night Angel Trilogy", and "Lightbringer Series" (that's 5 books.) NA is isn't an "epic" series, but I've throughly enjoyed it for a different take on fantasy. LB has a magic system based on colors, and a main characters that span from teenagers to middle aged adults, which was refreshing since I'm getting older, and finding it harder to relate to some protagonists. 

I'll second this rec. The Lightbringer series is one of my new favorites.  Interesting magic system, very good characters, interesting plot with a lot of twists that you won't see coming.