DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Mashiara Sedai

June Discussion: Pride Month

Pride is a time for LGBTQ+ people and allies to celebrate.  June 28th marks the anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising in New York.  

The Library of Congress states

June 28, 1969 marks the beginning of the Stonewall Uprising, a series of events between police and LGBTQ+ protesters which stretched over six days. It was not the first time police raided a gay bar, and it was not the first time LGBTQ+ people fought back, but the events that would unfold over the next six days would fundamentally change the nature of LGBTQ+ activism in the United States.

With our country in such turmoil, all Pride events have been canceled or moved to an online format.  GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Deformation) has a master list of online events here

Visibility of LGBTQ+ people is the focus of Pride.  There is a great diversity in our world, and people have a right to be different without being afraid.  Let's celebrate our differences and not let hate stand in our way!

Personally, I am bisexual.  Though it seems that since I'm in a heterosexual relationship and married that people will assume I'm straight.  This is not always the case.  We shouldn't ever assume anything about a person's sexuality or identity.

I am also a published author with several LGBTQ+ novels.  I love the idea that love wins, and when I write stories featuring LGBTQ+ characters, I always want a happy ending.

So come celebrate Pride with me!  Anyone is able to join in this discussion.  But this is a time to stress if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Any books you would recommend then? Always looking for stuff to put on my reading list so I can keep it diverse for the times I want to read (so dont have to go searching through the whole web but can pick something from library).

Also hope this means we will see you in the blues for their pride event after knightmareweek ..I know there will be quite a few treads on different subjects  as well as quizes and games. I'll be covering Kinsey as I signed up to help Hayls and would love your input 😉

Yay, I'm so glad the Blues are having a Pride celebration!  I will definitely join in!

One of my favorite series is the Whyborne and Griffin series written by Jordan L Hawk (a trans man).  Hawk's series is about a gay scholar who falls in love with a bisexual detective and they solve crimes in Widdershins--a very creepy city.  The whole series is 11 books long (as well as a few novellas and spin offs, one following Whyborne's sister who falls in love with his secretary).  They're fantastically written and I love the mix of magic and romance!

Grand will look it up later, when I dig out the kindle.

Yeah we were told to sort out dates and dont doublebook so we are warming up with preparty in warders for the first week of june before heading to the blues.

So think it will be a ton of fun.

Only read the intro but seemed promising

Abc of LGBT+ by Ashley Mardell

* grabs a notepad* I'm also up for book titles.

So far I found it easier to find LGBTQ+ tv shows or movies than books, but then the books stores where I live are quite poor when it comes to diversity.

Kindle and audible...made my life so much easier regardless of genre