DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Warders have three Disciplines: Me'Arearth, Ren'shai, and Cuen'deren. Or as I like to think of them: Mind, Body, and Soul. While everyone will bend toward one of the three Discs, a strong Warder will be balanced in all three areas.

The first Challenge was for the Body. Challenge number two was for the Mind. So naturally the latest challenge shall strengthen the soul.

This week, your Challenge is:

Examine your self in a journal every day.

As the wise man said, "The un-examined life is not worth living," and yet it's likely that most of us don't know ourselves that well. Exploring our souls takes effort. Finding faults can kick on the fight-or-flight response: we either argue with ourselves that the fault isn't all that bad (especially compared to that person--you know, the one who really twists our grapes). Or we run away from the work that would be required to eliminate the fault.

(Speaking from personal experience, here.)

Taking a few minutes every day to examine your life is the first best step to knowing your self, and writing it down in a journal sets it in concrete. It can be at night just before bed. Or it can be the first thing in the morning, after you've had a night to consider the previous day's events. It can be on a notecard by your bedside, or a note-taker app on your phone. One journaler recommended the following five steps:

1. Be consciously aware of you and your surroundings.
  2. Think of something to be grateful for.
  3. Review the day.
  4. Ask for forgiveness for any wrong action, be it God, yourself, the universe, or the co-worker you snubbed.
  5. Prepare your self for the new day.

Report here with your progress, or if you have any insights about this challenge. 

I already do a little journaling, but not very often. I personally may not write in a journal very often, but when I do I have a lot to say. However, I do not care to write it all out by hand. So I record myself speaking my mind and then insert that video into a free application on my laptop that transcribes the video into text. Someday I will print all of my files off and have my journal in three different mediums.