DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Magic System in WoT

Hi, I know there are many threads out there with people asking how the magic system works in WoT and I’ve gone through most of them, trust me. I understand it, but while I read the books - I have recently finished the fourth one - I don’t understand how the characters could weave these things they do. 
I went in hoping that book 4 would explain it to me so I could understand it even better, and for the entirety of the book I was patiently waiting and when I finished it the amazing feeling of have read a such great book combined with the unsatisfaction of not getting what I wanted from it. Don’t get me wrong I totally loved it and I did get some  knowledge of the system. So my question is - and please don’t spoil anything - in which book does it get in-depth explained?
Thanks in advance.

I haven't done a re-read for a few years now so my memory of it all is a bit shaky, but I do recall that Jordan gave little bits along the way.  The first and largest being from Moiraine as she instructed Egwene and then Rand.  In later books, and as each channeling character has moments, you sort of learn along with them.  For instance, you'll learn a lot about the male half of the source when you reach book 6.

What I'm getting at is that I don't recall there ever being a top to bottom listing of how the 'One Source' works and how it is utilized.  Jordan just clarified points where the story needed to be clarified with regard to the magic system.

I think he did it this way so that it was a constant story, rather than a huge exposition.

I already know how the magic system works (thanks to Daniel Greene) but I love to read about the ‘explanation’ of it. When I read the Stormlight Archives series I very much liked the beginning  when the lashes got explained and the same with the training montage in Mistborn. So I want to know if there is a book that explains it, if you know what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your help (and all the other help I got) that was just the answer I was looking for. I’m soon gonna start LoC because I finished FoH yesterday and it was AMAZING (my favorite one yet). I’m worried though that I’m not going to like it based on that some people say that it’s really slow until the end and I really want enjoy at least one book more before the slog, but I will power through cause nothing can make me not love this series.