DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ending of TgH

RpgCorsair

First time reading the series and I’m really enjoying it just finished the great hunt.

have a question about the ending don’t know if I’m dense or because I finished it at 9 am after reading all night, but what was up with the whole fight in the sky? 

when I read it and the most enveloped the battle field, rand and his squad were firmly on the ground, like how Perrin ran off and got a branch. I just read it as he was fighting with furnace eyes on the ground with like a heightened connected sense to everyone, where were the clue they were in the sky ? Did I miss all of them? Please tell me I’m not stupid.

Edited by RpgCorsair

You're not stupid! ?

One thing to note is that the Horn of Valere PREDATES the Age of Legends. It was made by people with an understanding of the One Power which far exceeded that of the AoL Aes Sedai, so it's much more "mystical" than the "practical" applications of the One Power we've seen so far.

Lews Theron (and by extension, Rand) is a Hero of Legend, so when Mat blew the horn, the Pattern gave Rand an sort of extrasensory perception. The details are vague (and thus speculative), but it's possible his fight with Ol' Furnace Eyes took place in another dimension, and the Pattern simply broadcast it across the sky.

At least, the official answer, from RJ himself, is that the Pattern created the image to let the world know the Dragon had been Reborn. That's why Mazrim Taim and that other guy in Hadden Mirk also saw the image of the fight, since they were claiming to be the Dragon at the time. The Pattern was done with the need for False Dragons.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Effete