DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Liitha

Pet birds aka discusion take 2

Posted (edited)

So we like friendships in cuen, but there are friends who arent our own kind.

And we all know you got the big ones like cat and dogs for companions. But birds can actually make good companion animals too, and just like with dogs and cats there are a huge amount of types, though some are more normal then others.

So who here had, has or think of geting birds sometime? Tell us about their type and personality, why that bird, and so on and forth.

Aka lets debate birds..

Edited by Liitha

I have no interest in owning birds. They intimidate me. The small ones seem too delicate and the larger ones are too close to their dinosaur kin. lol My brother owned a parakeet when we were much younger and he unfortunately left the cage door open when his "Pretty Boy" flew the coop. Only to be immediately snatched out of the air 3 feet from it's cage by a rather impressive acrobatic maneuver from our cat. I chased the cat upstairs and found Pretty Boy dead. Neck broke. I carried it down and it was the first time I remember seeing my older brother cry sad tears. 

On the other side of the spectrum, my best friend and his wife have an African Grey raptor and that thing just has murderous intent in it's eyes. They offer to let me hold him but that beak can take my eye out pretty quickly I'm sure. 

If any bird of prey WOULD find it's way into my home I would it to be an owl. Those things are awesome. 

You know the one is just short of being a small bird, while the other is big. There are something inbetween 😉

And it all depends on species, and if your other pets are used to birds too, with a medium-large size bird you get a different picture, like this one who hangs with both cats and dogs.

This is one type I would consider if I were to get a bird. 

The closest I've been to a bird, was watching a budgie once for a week (it didn't die!), but after A LOT of research, I feel we decided to get birds instead of dogs, when our dogs passes away. It will just be more suitable for our lifestyle now. we still get an animal that is company (especially for me that is home) and need training and playing, it just doesn't also need 3 walks a day in addition to  training, and playing, no matter what weather. Still nice that you can take it out when the weather is nice😃

Also Mills an owl? Based on looks or behavior? Cause I would have imagined you more of a black headed caique type, they are known as the "clowns" 

See there are like 350 parrot spieces, obviously some beeing endangered cant be pets, and then all the other types of birds..like said there is the same selection as there are in dogbreeds and personality and needs differs as well as sizes and looks.

So basically which bird is much the same as which breed of dog, not looks in and for itself but what type fit your lifestyle and personality.

I really don't like the idea of caging animals. Birds are usually flock animals to boot, and it seems so cruel to keep them in isolation.

Posted (edited)

Its the same with any animals, I know many cage dogs all day..it is not good. The cages for bird is the same as dogs, a sleeping place, a place to be safe as such but it need to be the right size and contain the rigth equiment for what they need for resting.

But they do need to be let out, and yes most birds you should have at least two, some species can manage to live solo if you are willing to make up for it by beeing there..the problem just like with any other pet is when people get it without knowing the animals need and dont realize the economical and timewise commitment it is. 

but thats a problem that is found throughout any pet keeping. Even down to fishes, with an example of the betas beeing kept in "flowervase" sized containers for deco..it shows lack of knowledge of the spicies need.

And for that reason yes many of the long lived birds sold for wrong reasons dies after just a faction of their lifetime, due to things like malnutrition and so on, but again you find similar across pet holding

Edited by Liitha

Yep yep yep! The caique is funny, and got pretty bright colors, it would probably be fun the first week but when you are gonna live with it for lots of years to come... it's just not the right fit for us, I'm pretty confident we found some that suits our lifestyle and personalities though, so both we and the birdies can be happy lol😃 

So many interesting  birds out there for sure.

parrot-3546594_1280.jpg

Like this plum headed parrot, for parrots they arent very noisy (note there is a difference between noisy and talkative) and they do have the ability to learn to talk (though that should never be a reason to get a parot cause it is individual also and even in the most talkative species is no gurantie). They are social, gentle and affectionate, but not a cudler so it is cool with just hanging out with you, and talking to you.

I have birds. My birds weren’t snatched from the wild and put in cages.

I have a conure parrot that is very smart. He loves attention and talks. When he wants attention and I’m on the phone he screams. Kiwi gets very excited when I get home and recognizes the sound of my car.

I have a cockatiel too. He loves to sing and take showers with me. So does Kiwi but my cockatiel loves it more. He also gets excited when I get home.

I love birds. These two I got from other people who needed homes for them. They spend time out of their cages and in the shower. Both are social, affectionate and messy. 

Oh no wild caugth I am quite positive is illigal.

Petstores could get you a bird, but personally I would go by a breeder. I would want to see where it came from, that they seemed responsible and knew what they were doing, there always a chance animals can get sick, but the risk increases with bad breeding.

Also wouldnt know where they got it from distance wise with a petshop and therefor what the animal is put through having to travel and be handled to be transported. Bad incidents can really scar an animal and give you issues that need to be worked out behaviour wise.

@Ryrin which type of conure you got

Edited by Liitha