DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Warhammer 40K and Miniature painting

Millon

May Father Nurgle's blessings be upon you all. May his contagion and pestilence be bestowed upon you . May you know the eternal suffering that life is meant to be. May you be left yearning for the gaping maw of death in the eternal cycle of renewal. To receive the blessings of Nurgle, all one has to do is want to live and be willing to do whatever it takes to cling to life. All else follows naturally from there. The church of the Fly Lord is open to all. 

Hello everybody! I am Millon. A mere acolyte of the suffering of papa Nurgle. This past year has been amazing for me for the hobby I have been introduced to. I am 40 yrs old and never have I done any type of painting or modeling or building, nothing of comparison to miniature gaming and painting. A friend of mine found out about a game shop local to us, Section 8 gaming in Buffalo, NY, and he wanted to go check it out. He had been a Warhammer player decades ago before college and wanted to check this place out and maybe start again. Only, he didn't want to go alone and be the only grown man to go buy toys (little did we know about the array of individuals in this gaming community) so he asked me to be his wing-nerd. He went for the bug army known as Tyrannids. I had no idea what the hell I was doing or looking at lol so I just grabbed the team that I thought looked the cooled; The Death Guard. An army of eternally infested, diseased, warped, mutated husks of soldiers who had become the followers of The Lord of Contagion. 

I started watching any and every tutorial I could find on painting these Death Guard and Poxwalkers. I strongly recommend the streams Brush & Boltgun and Miniac. There are others I watched aside from those but the names escape me. Just google or youtube search 'How to paint. . . ' and a massive amount of info is in your hands. I am super proud of how well these figures came out. I never expected the reward i would get from getting into this hobby. I've rather become a bit of a paint and mini goblin, hahaha. I must have ALL the paints and minis! Thankfully I am poor so I am forced to temper my goblinhood and have to be selective in my purchases because, brothers and sisters, this shiz aint cheap! For tiny little mounds of plastic? Yeah. crazy expensive. In a way that's a bit of a blessin for me as I had plenty of time to work on each model I had without having a backlog of things to paint. (It's inevitable. If you start this, you eventually, guaranteed, end up with a back log of things to paint. Not necessarily a bad thing). I can take my time and really invest myself into this. 

I have a painting process. I stare obsessively at my mini for a very long time. Like. . . days. . .  It's totally not because of performance anxiety or paranoia or the need to psych myself up past my anxiety to start painting. . . . . totally not that . . .  <.<   >.> . . . I plan out a step by step process that inevitably falls apart after the second or third stroke of the brush lol. By then though, I'm already kind of lost in my own mind. I was not aware of there being a therapeutic aspect to getting into a hobby before. I get in, and start to paint and, next thing I know, a few hours have passed by and I am totally chill.  It's my safe space. It's just sad that it took me 40 years to find this. 

I'd like to share my Plague Boys with you all if you'd like. There's quite bit. I would love to hear any feed back you have, or questions and comments. If anyone else out here does any type of miniature painting or modeling I would really enjoy hearing about them or see you share them. 

Looking forward to interacting with you all. 

Edited by Millon

• Community Administrator
10 minutes ago, Millon said:

I genuinely appreciate that. Thank you. 

I've been trying to dig up the one mini I painted a few year ago, but no luck so far.

It got destroyed in the last move so I can't exactly take a new picture of it. 
Let's just say yours is light-years ahead of mine. 

I have one fantasy piece I painted too. Cool story. My son, Wyatt, was born with Down Syndrome and from year 1 to 3.5 we’ve had near daily home therapy visits. He was receiving Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Special Education and Speech Therapy. Over 2 years of constant visits we came to know these visitors as close friends. You get to know each other. Wyatt’s speech therapist, Ms Sharon, has a son who is on the spectrum and deals with some socialization and anxiety issues. He’s like 10? I believe. Good kid. Less than a year ago, after the Early Intervention Services has ended when Wyatt began pre-school, I received a FB message from Ms Sharon askin me what I can tell her about D&D as her son had heard of it and was kinda showing an interest. She was a kid during the whole ‘Satanic Panic’ of the 80s in regards to devil worship in the game yada yada. She was open enough to ask about it though and knowing I’m just a giant nerd she reached out to me.

So, I told her all about D&D today and about the amazing community that has developed around it recently and how it’s great for forming life long friendships. I’m still incredibly close friends with the people I played with 20+ years ago. I mentioned to her the various game streams that are out there like CR and recommended she watch some. Of course with the warming that these are adults playing a game and that there are moments of language and some crass jokes but nothing I’d ever consider over the top. So the family checked it out and gave the kid the okay to just dive in. 

Since he started gaming his whole persona began to flourish. He was gaining confidence and learning to manage some of his anxieties and issues and got some excellent new friends. He’s in three different games at his local library and loving every minute of it. When Ms Sharon messaged me this I asked her what character is his favorite currently. He has a green dragon born Druid. So I went to hero forge and created the mini for him and painted it up to give as a gift.

here it is.  

7DCE0A32-0EAB-4DEE-9C25-E587AD1EF6D6.jpeg

171F7D09-7C25-475C-B01B-95DFA5E1FB99.jpeg

C30429A6-EDC4-4F3D-8CC7-EBC7C8AA6CE4.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Millon said:

I have one fantasy piece I painted too. Cool story. My son, Wyatt, was born with Down Syndrome and from year 1 to 3.5 we’ve had near daily home therapy visits. He was receiving Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Special Education and Speech Therapy. Over 2 years of constant visits we came to know these visitors as close friends. You get to know each other. Wyatt’s speech therapist, Ms Sharon, has a son who is on the spectrum and deals with some socialization and anxiety issues. He’s like 10? I believe. Good kid. Less than a year ago, after the Early Intervention Services has ended when Wyatt began pre-school, I received a FB message from Ms Sharon askin me what I can tell her about D&D as her son had heard of it and was kinda showing an interest. She was a kid during the whole ‘Satanic Panic’ of the 80s in regards to devil worship in the game yada yada. She was open enough to ask about it though and knowing I’m just a giant nerd she reached out to me.

So, I told her all about D&D today and about the amazing community that has developed around it recently and how it’s great for forming life long friendships. I’m still incredibly close friends with the people I played with 20+ years ago. I mentioned to her the various game streams that are out there like CR and recommended she watch some. Of course with the warming that these are adults playing a game and that there are moments of language and some crass jokes but nothing I’d ever consider over the top. So the family checked it out and gave the kid the okay to just dive in. 

Since he started gaming his whole persona began to flourish. He was gaining confidence and learning to manage some of his anxieties and issues and got some excellent new friends. He’s in three different games at his local library and loving every minute of it. When Ms Sharon messaged me this I asked her what character is his favorite currently. He has a green dragon born Druid. So I went to hero forge and created the mini for him and painted it up to give as a gift.

here it is.  

7DCE0A32-0EAB-4DEE-9C25-E587AD1EF6D6.jpeg

171F7D09-7C25-475C-B01B-95DFA5E1FB99.jpeg

C30429A6-EDC4-4F3D-8CC7-EBC7C8AA6CE4.jpeg

That was an awesome story, and exemplifies just how awesome the gaming community can be. ?

On 2/27/2020 at 2:07 PM, SinisterDeath said:

I've been trying to dig up the one mini I painted a few year ago, but no luck so far.

It got destroyed in the last move so I can't exactly take a new picture of it. 
Let's just say yours is light-years ahead of mine. 

Do you at least recall what type of mini it was? 

4 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Image result for warhammer dragon

Dark Elf Dreadlord on Dragon.

I would be so intimidated to even TRY and paint that thing!! wow. How would you say you did with it?

4 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Oh, and this was my first 3d print.
88336122_208477303684217_967952609086275584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQmbpxCEVaMaTJlDM_o21-GccgHeFM1SlLDl_n-PY0yMKu8RlGWu-4On6mTWw80dmZU&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.xx&oh=e9efd2e7ab93e2820e710892cb7c35d8&oe=5E99A539

such a fleshy color. . . alloy? Filament? I don't know the right term for the material. Reminds me of the Muscle Men toys from the 80s. 

7 hours ago, Millon said:

I would be so intimidated to even TRY and paint that thing!! wow. How would you say you did with it?

I tried to make a Gold/Silver metalic dragon. Didn't turn out that great.

such a fleshy color. . . alloy? Filament? I don't know the right term for the material. Reminds me of the Muscle Men toys from the 80s. 

Resin, skin colored. Thought process was to paint the clothing, not the skin. lol

I've ordered some gray resin as that seems to be the most easily usable color.

Printing a Flesh colored Totoro just seems wrong.

O_O

You have to consider too that you have to prime the mini before you ever put paint to it so the material doesn't really matter too much. I suppose you could try to match the material to the paint scheme. Do I lighter flesh tone for a white primer instead of white primer of gray or darker. A lighter material will make a light primer brighter. 

Edited by Millon