DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

February Chitter Chatter (2020)

Ryrin

On 2/28/2020 at 9:17 PM, Ryrin said:

Mills, I’m doing the same thing. Too much stuff. It’s freeing. I tell my family if you haven’t seen it or used it in 6 months, you don’t need it.

Do you need it?

Do you love it?

Will you use it in a month? 

That's what I use when sortin through stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was supposed to be working an Anime Convention this weekend. Alas, we were in the middle of set-up on Thursday when the city declared a state of emergency and shut us down (not an unreasonable response but the timing was unfortunate). So we spent the next day doing inventory, and mostly running what little was around for the staff who had made it to the event already. Two guests had shown up, so one did her panel and signing, and the other performed her concert. Both were very nice. ? The time for inventory and brainstorming was useful, but it was still a bit disappointing to be all geared up and ramped up for 'go time' and have it end very suddenly. 

So now I am back home, and will be spending all of Spring Break working on my house. And hopefully a couple of much needed art projects. 

They keep buying out toilet paper and Lysol/Clorox supplies and hand sanitizer here too. Makes me glad I already 'clean' my house and keep these things stocked like a normal, sensible person? We had to buy toilet paper the other day as part of our regular shopping, and all the smaller packages were gone. Literally the only option left was a giant bundle of like....30 double-rolls? We aren't going to need toilet paper for months!

That said, regular food is still fairly well stocked. So I can at least do grocery shopping as normal. 

This makes me glad that I already work from home (I work for a Virtual Public School), my son attends the same Virtual public school, and my husband already has been doing mostly work-from-home because he has a 70 mile commute, but they are renovating an entire floor of his building right now and they've been sharing desks and encouraging work from home for weeks now having nothing to do with the current health situation. So we already mostly don't have to go anywhere outside of shopping for things. 

Though I suspect a lot more of our weekend SCA eventing schedule will get cancelled in April. We are supposed to have three events (including Coronation). The city of Norman, Oklahoma has cancelled their Medieval Faire for the first time since it started in 1977. It's normally the first weekend in April. Given how many people normally attend over the course of the weekend (upwards of 350k! Which is roughly 11% of the State Population) I can see why it was necessary, but it's still sad that it has come to that.  Mostly I feel for the vendors whose livelihoods are being threatened by all of these cancellations across the country. 

• Club Leader

I do, too. 

The two things I can't find in the stores are toilet paper, which we're not out of yet, thankfully, and bottled water. I have a reverse osmosis unit in my home (at least until I move next week) so that isn't a critical situation. When I couldn't find distilled water for my c-pap machine, that was a problem, but it was found after a few stores. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats! So glad you're close to done! 

Holding up okay so far. Shelter in place order in our area now so not going out or doing much unless it's in the house. Which is okay for me and my son, since we normally work/school out of the house (Yay online public school) already. We're used to this. My husband thankfully can work from home, but the extrovert who 'likes' commuting to his office and being around people all day is going a little bonkers. 

• Club Leader

I'm going to enjoy being home now. I work from home four days a week, and I will be in the office on Mondays starting next week. Not to see clients, but just so we maintain a presence. I'll still be working remotely. 

All we have left to do (except unpack) is to get my mom's furniture from my brother's house. He has a shed in the backyard with mom's stuff in it, storing it for me. We're taking a week off from moving and then getting it the following weekend. Yay for being moved in!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Club Leader

It is a home already. It happened literally overnight. 

I have yet to go into the office and drive home, so I don't know. I live in a totally different town (although it's actually unincorporated) so I haven't really been near my old home yet, except for the time I went there to pick up something we left behind.