DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Top 3 most disliked characters

Ryan al'Thor

Gawyn - 

Perin - I forgot just how early in the series he really began to get annoying.  From his smelling everything, his non stop worrying about Faile in Crown of Thorns on their way back from the Wells fight, his constant crying about Rand better not hurt the Aes Sedai, the constant omg Rand forces may fight each other, etc.   

Egwene

#4 would be Nyn and Elayne through half the books,  The way they treated Mat, the constant men aren't fit to be in charge etc just really got annoying.

Edited by Sabio

This is not a popular opinion, but I would put Mat at #4 most disliked. Among other things, I was pretty annoyed by his not wanting to help Rand in FOH, and constantly trying to distance himself. Only being ta'averen forced him to help. I can't really blame him for his actions when under the cursed dagger, but seemed like it amplified his selfishness. I get that he's fun and has the rogue vibe. Go ahead, fire away.

Nynaeve is always great IMO, her chapters are some of the best in the middle books.  For those around her though I would concede she could be annoying.

Not a disliked character as such but Egwene can often come across as very irritating. From picking fights early on in the series with Nynaeve to treating Gawyn like dirt once they are reunited. Add in assuming she is always right when dealing with others like Rand and Perrin.

Tuon I find very irritating as well with how closed minded she is.

Other than her you have characters who are supposed to be disliked like Elaida.

Readers dislike some character wherever they go, others have their top annoyance, but at least they evolve. I prefer characters that have their annoying period (Mat, Perin, Faile), but they grow up than characters that aren't so much annoying, but are annoying whole time.

Elaida

Gawyn

Alviarin

Elaida, because she is just so stupid. This highly trained Aes Sedai who should at least have some clue about the liabilities of interpreting a Foretelling, should have half an idea just how much she is alienating the tower as Amyrlin, and hasn't the backbone to stand up to Alviarin's blackmail.

Gawyn lets a single rumor control him almost to exclusion of all else, and shows a talent for making truly terrible decisions.

I could have chosen several others for the last spot, whether Arymilla, or any of the various southern nobles for whom the only winning battle tactic is a cavalry charge to scatter the rabble, but Alviarin takes it for a level of incompetence not fitted to either of her offices.

• 4 weeks later...

1) Elayne (i liked her in her very first appearance,but she went steadily downhill from there.  Vain, Arrogant, Entitled and Foolish.), 2) Gwayne (much worse than his sister, of course, at least she was committed to something.  Thankfully we didn't have to read as much Gwayne).  Elaida (i find it hard to believe that this incompetent was who the WT turned to after overthrowing Siuan).  I see Faile making a lot of lists, but she was one of my favorite characters.

Ok, maybe Faile's not the worst as I said earlier. There are much worse characters (Gawyn, Elaida, Alanna, Tylin, etc). She was pretty annoying at first but steadily got better. I just disliked her because of her impetuous manner, and her taking advantage over Perrin, though that could mostly be blamed on Berelain. 

As of Crown of Swords (haven't finished the series yet):

1) Egwene - She was fun when she was the innocent, naive, little girl just looking for adventure who suddenly learns she has this great power, but she plods through the later books like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refridgerator. I have trouble liking her past the second or third book. Can we get an arc yet? Hopefully she gets better.

2) Any Whitecloak - These Light-blinded fools annoy me to no end. So self-righteous, so absolutely decluded... Geofram Bornhold was at least interesting in how coldly calculating he was, but Dain was a bloody pile of sheep dung. Valda, Byar... they're just as unlikable. 

I liked Pedron Naille, though, and Carridan has an attraction as a "tragic character," but most Whitecloaks are just hypocrites.

3) Faile - I was lukewarm when she was first introduced, and she grew on me during the Two Rivers chapters, but WTF happened to her later? First she gets pissy with Min for no reason, then gives Perrin the cold shoulder for reasons I have yet to figure out... obviously something to do with Berelain, but ole Goldeneyes made his intentions very clear on that front. I was honestly hoping Perrin would just boink her, then tell Faile to smell his fingers.

(Dis)Honorable mentions:

Galad - goody little two shoes. Reminds me of the narcs back in high school.

Aviendha - "I hate you!" "I love you!" "I hate you!" "I love you!" GAHHH! Yeah, I get it, it's the whole ji'e'toh thing, but she handles it like such a baby.

Elayne - This is less about her character and more about the inconsistent way Jordan wrote her. Sure, her character flaw is her haughtiness (being groomed to be queen would do that, I guess), but she flops between being intelligent and insightful to dumber than a bag of rocks. 

Elaida - Okay, I don't find her annoying, per se, so she probably doesn't truly make the list, but I see her on others lists. She is certainly incompetent, but I see that as her ambition being greater than her actual skill. Even when she was standing tall in Andor, making a name for herself, it was clear Morgase was still calling the shots. She THINKS she will make a great Amyrlin, and that confidence caused others to raise her, but now she's cracking under the pressure. Consciously or unconsciously, she ignores the things that make her look bad, because she cannot face the possibility that she actually is terrible at her job.

Edited by Effete

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2020 at 5:43 AM, Tamirlin said:

Elaida

Egewyne

Cadsuane

Unsurprisingly all the Amirlyn seat, the leader of idiots and incompetents.

Who is Egewyne? One of Egwene’s Sisters?

the 3 i hated the most are 

Mat(to lucky)

loail(to tall)

Min(to pretty)

??????

i have to admit that there is not a single character i disliked 

Edited by Harldin

1) Gawyn - He was just so annoying and needy. He always wanted attention and always thought he was right. Even after he finally realized that he can't always be in the spotlight, he decided to be stupid and do just that.

2)Egwene - She was one of my favorites in the beginning, but she got annoying as the books continued. She just never seemed to change. She was always an arrogant brat who thought she knew best.

3)Rolan - Bro...she has a husband. Get over it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello forum, I'm new here. Awkward "hi's" all around! 

So, obviously not counting the characters we're meant to dislike, like the forsaken and Elida.....

Nynaeve. I have a bias; Nyn greatly reminds me of someone I know and the connection is not a positive one. She is a hypocrite, a bully, and altogether too full of herself. Often dangerously so (which isn't unique to her, granted). Nyn has her moments where I cheer for her (when she finally breaks through her block, f'instance) but throughout the series, Nyn proves time and time again that she is what she's always complaining about. 

Gawyn. Okay, the Dragon breaks all bonds and oaths...but doesn't promise to replace them. Conceptually the idea of someone socially well-positioned who's cast down just by the wake of Rand's passing is interesting. But in execution what we get is Gawyn, who's basically just a selfish wreck of a once promising person who is directly responsible for more than a few disasters. 

Egwene. She had so much potential and promise, and I loved her among the Aeil. But what she becomes irritates me; she never truly learned the big lesson; the Tower's arrogance and refusal to bend is its greatest flaw. Egwene was so close to being the ultimate Aes Sedai, the best of what the Tower was meant to be...but to the end she repeated the same mistakes her forebears did. Shame.

Well you can all think about the characters you hate who survived the Final Battle facing the 1 in 3 or 4 chance that they will die of starvation in the first 3 years of the 4th Age.

Future Generations will call it the Great Famine or the Great Dying.

There is little food left in the Westlands at the start of the 4th Age, huge amounts of food spoiled because of the Dark Ones touch, huge numbers of Farmers have left their Farms, nearly all the Grain kept for next years planting would have been used for food, nearly all the breeding animals would have ended up in Cook Pots.