DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Lights blessings on all here.

I am pleased to introduce myself as Asha’man Vincent Vinchova.  
As I was re-reading (as we do.) - I came across one of Mr. Jordan’s word/concept choices that I had breezed by, given my own interpretation/flavor to.  But, I’ve become more used to pinning down this habit of mine.  I think I hit gold. 
Winter’s Heart, Chap.23

Point of view: Shalon 

Context: She is flummoxed, and reduced to observing the Aes Sedai to find any social faults or information they could impart.

Text: “Perhaps there was nothing in it that would help her, but if she had to pick oakum, the only way was to find a thread and pull.”

Observation:  While I had attached an interpretation of “oakum” and “pulling oakum” to mean, making the best of ‘woolgathering’... I found a deeper respect for Mr. Jordan’s knowledge and artistry by surrendering to a dictionary to hold me to his intent rather than my interpretation.

oa·kum
/ˈōkəm/
noun
HISTORICAL
  1. loose fiber obtained by untwisting old rope, used especially in caulking wooden ships.

Well.  A specific, beautifully applied, cultural reference that I am looking at as a testament to his life, learning, and craft.  
Deepest gratitude to him and the work he shared.  

I had to become a member to share this small nugget.  I hope we all have a great future ahead with the attention being shown to his tales.  Onward and Upward!

• 3 weeks later...