DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

D&D - Basic Political Theory: religion vs non

Krakalakachkn

This is meant to be more of a question on how we can move forward (or if we can't) and find common ground between Christians and non-Christians - specifically Christians that believe in original sin.

So recently, through conversations with my father, I've come to the realization that his belief in original sin puts him at direct odds with any belief system that doesn't believe in original sin.  We touched on politics, economics, social norms, and some other things, but where we kept getting hung up was the tension between his belief that everyone is flawed and imperfect (therefore the world is flawed and imperfect which I find a ludicrous assumption) and my belief that humanity has the capability to do good and evolve.  The reason this matters is because when issues arise he can just fall back upon the argument that "well no one is perfect and we're all sinners and so it doesn't really matter - the world is doomed anyway" as a way to explain away him not voting for so n so or not supporting such and such law.  

Honestly this and evangelicalism are my biggest and perhaps my only real problems with Christianity.  I'm currently at a loss, and I'm also scarcely awake, but maybe someone else has thought about this too and can offer some advice or thoughts on how it might be possible to reach a better understanding or accord?

• Community Administrator

Sorry Krakalakachkn, but I have to lock this.

Half a year ago (maybe more) DM instituted a pretty strict policy barring the topic of Politics, as it was causing too much toxicity within the community. 

I'm going to work with the rest of Staff and to try and make sure some of these new rules/regulations are more transparent to new and returning users.