DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Mashiara Sedai

2020 Movie Challenge Discussion Post

This is a place for us to discuss the films we've watched or to comment on another person's movie report.  Even if we disagree, let's keep the discussion civil!

Great idea, Mashiara Sedai. I'll be rummaging around for a SF/Fantasy film to watch in January. 

I’ve got a few in mind already.  Maybe Gemini Man with Will Smith.  Or even After Earth (also Will Smith) which I haven’t watched despite wanting to.

I’d highly recommended Jumanji if you want to see one in theaters!  I watched it a few weeks ago so it won’t count for me!  :’(

Awesome, James!  You did a great job!

I’ve seen The Road and don’t particularly remember liking it.  I enjoyed that you knew some background info on the set.  I didn’t realize it was filmed in Pennsylvania.  So interesting that there are places so bleak here.

Last night my husband and I watch a film called The Thin Man (1934), starring William Powell and Myrna Loy.  Not Sci-Fi/fantasy so not counting for the challenge.  It was delightful!  The two actors play Nick and Nora Charles—Nick is a retired detective and Nora his wealthy wife.  The dynamics between the two of them are #couplegoals!  They were sweet and cute and the plot never focused on them being mean or jealous of one another.  A friend of Nick’s goes missing and he’s asked to investigate.  He refuses but the underworld of New York thinks he’s involved so he’s quickly caught up in the scheming whether he wants it or not.

This film also features their dog named Asta who was super cute and animated.  His addition to many of the scenes had me laughing.

It was fun and funny and light.  IMDB trivia states some of the dialogue was considered for censorship.  At one point, Nick is attacked by a criminal and wounded.  The next day when questioned by police, Nora makes a comment about Nick nearly being in the tabloids.  Nick responded with “The man never went near my tabloids.”  Also the amount of alcoholic drinking was “offensive” to some movie viewers back in the day.

This is the first in a series with these two characters and my husband bought the whole set!  I can’t wait to watch the next one!

So this month is watching a film directed by a POC?

What is everyone thinking of watching?

I liked Do The Right Thing.  I agree it was hard to watch.  And the fact it's hard for us to watch should shout volumes of people who actually live their lives in such a way.  The racism that's still so rampant today is horrible.  You did a great job writing on it, @JamesBrown!

I plan on watching Parasite by the Korean director Bong Joon-ho.  But I'll have to go fast to fit it in the next week!  I've seen several of his other movies, like The Host, Mother, and Snowpiercer.  All of them have dealt with class, and privilege, and how screwed up situations can be.  They've all been very good.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:24 PM, Mashiara Sedai said:

I plan on watching Parasite by the Korean director Bong Joon-ho.  But I'll have to go fast to fit it in the next week!  I've seen several of his other movies, like The Host, Mother, and Snowpiercer.  All of them have dealt with class, and privilege, and how screwed up situations can be.  They've all been very good.

I finished Parasite a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. My only criticism was that the lower-class family were so natural in their con-artist roles, they seemed as if they had been living that way all their lives. Yet we're led to believe that they've always been poor unambitious nothings. Still, it was a treat the whole way through.

Great job on the last two film reports, James!

I haven't seen Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.  As I'm not particularly inclined to like war films, I'm sure I won't.  But I did watch Zero Dark Thirty and found it to be very interesting.

I've watched too many movies to count over the last month and a half of isolation.  We're watching at least one a night, sometimes two.  However, most of the ones we're watching are repeats.  We watched the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe collection.  We watched all the X-Men films.  We watched all the Star Wars films.  We watched all the Matrix films.  We're currently watching the DC ones, and the Star Trek remakes.  Then we watched The Sound of Music which my husband had never seen!  That was really fun to watch again.

For new ones, we did watch one called The Set-Up (1949).  It was about a boxer who wanted to fight one last time and his wife's inability to support him while he gets beat up.  It was really good.  I haven't seen Aqua Man yet, so that will be new when we get to it.

As we've been going through a lot of repeat series, we did get a few new ones in this past week.

Marathon Man (1976).  This one stars Dustin Hoffman and Roy Scheider.  Scheider is a government official dealing with some not-so-pleasant foreign people--in this case, a former Nazi who wants to smuggle diamonds stolen from Jews out of New York.  Hoffman is Scheider's younger brother who gets caught up in the heist.

This was an okay film.  Intense and a bit gritty.  Not typically my thing.  SPOILERS:  In once scene where the bad guy is trying to figure out how much his diamonds are worth, he's recognized by a few older Jewish shoppers.  I really, really wanted a swarm of ordinary people to bring the Nazi's downfall, but alas, Dustin Hoffman had to be the one to save the day.

The Vast of Night (2019).  This one was a Amazon original.  In the 1950s, a small town is plagued by mysterious noises over the radio frequencies.  Fay, a sixteen year old who works nights as a switchboard operator, and Everett, a young radio DJ, team up to try to solve the mystery.  The opening sequence was one of the best scenes I've seen in film in a long time.  Fay is obviously smitten with Everett and she bought a tape recorder and asks Everett to show her how it works.  The first 8-10 minutes of the movie is them walking from the high school gymnasium where the first game of the basketball season is about to kick off, to the phone company where Fay works nights.  They stop and do impromptu interviews with a few people they know, and Everett encourages Fay to tell about all the latest scientific discoveries she knows about.  It was so precious and I loved everything about this opening!  The movie itself was really well done.  A nice mix of suspense and mystery.

The Invisible Man (2020).  I really liked this film.  The opening was hard to get through emotionally because, although it doesn't say right out that Cecilia (played by Elisabeth Moss) is in an abusive relationship, the care and preparation she has to take to get out of the house shows it.  My heart was so hurt by thinking how this is a normal occurrence for so many women around the world.  So, so terrible.  The rest was easier to watch.  The physiological torment she still goes through was still horrible, but the satisfying ending made it less cringy.  She was an interesting character to watch and I loved how strong she was.

On a not-new note, we watched Batman (1989) with Michael Keaton last night.  Oh wow, it was so funny to see this film again.  Superhero moves have really evolved!

I love My Fair Lady!  It's such a fantastic film!

@JamesBrown, your review of Max and Mary sounds amazing.  I'm going to have to check it out!

@PiedPiper, which version of Rebecca did you watch?  I've seen a few versions and I think they both were decent.  The Hitchcock is the most famous, but we watched another version in high school after we read the story.  It was closer to the source material, I think.

My spouse and I saw Tenet in theaters (social distanced and wearing masks) twice!  It was so, so, so amazing!  It's coming out on DVD next month I believe and I can't wait to watch it again.

We also saw the film Drive in theaters a few weeks ago (again, social distanced and wearing masks).  That movie just touches me in all the feels!  I want to sob after it's done.  It's so well done, and Ryan Gosling does an amazing job.  It's so tragic, it makes my heart, but the pain is totally worth it!

1 hour ago, Mashiara Sedai said:

@PiedPiper, which version of Rebecca did you watch?  I've seen a few versions and I think they both were decent.  The Hitchcock is the most famous, but we watched another version in high school after we read the story.  It was closer to the source material, I think.

I watched the Netflix adaptation. I don't really love Hitchcock, honestly.

Drive is a great movie, although perhaps too violent for squeamish viewers. I love that this movie is perhaps an homage to the films of Kurosowa. I wrote the following on another board when someone complained about the ending, that Gosling should have known that he was walking into a deadly trap. Was he asking for it?

That's my view. I see him as a kind of Samurai or an errant knight--a loner wandering the countryside, using extreme violence to defend virtue and fight evil, yet unable to be accepted by the common folk that he defends because of his violent unstable nature.

When he kissed Irene in the elevator (before he brutally destroyed the hit man) he wasn't feeling horny; he was saying good-bye, to her, to her son, to a normal domestic way of life that he had briefly tasted and grown to desire. The look on her face as the elevator door closed between them said it all--she could never love someone so dark inside, even if he does follow a personal moral code to defend the weak.

So with that, I can easily see someone intentionally spring a trap with the goal of defeating the trapper and end his isolation and pain.

@JamesBrown, I agree with you and your analysis completely!  I think that's why I love the ending.  It's so tragic, but it's the only logical way for the movie and the characters to play out.  Irene couldn't be with him.  And his darkness couldn't be hidden away again.

I love it so much!