DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Mashiara Sedai

Happy & Healthy in 2020

Well, I didn't care for the bubly. But the other brand (not walmart brand after all, but called clear American) was pretty good. It does have Aspertame in it so I need to drink it sparingly. I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners. Aspertame is one I handle pretty well. 

On 2/19/2020 at 6:40 AM, LilyElizabeth said:

Well, I didn't care for the bubly. But the other brand (not walmart brand after all, but called clear American) was pretty good. It does have Aspertame in it so I need to drink it sparingly. I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners. Aspertame is one I handle pretty well. 

Oh wow, I didn't realize you could be allergic to artificial sweeteners.  I guess you could be allergic to anything, but that sounds awful!  

I've had a few of the bubly flavors that are yummy.  The cherry is the best, but strawberry is good too.  I haven't tried the cranberry, so I can't vouch for that one.

I also like the La Croix flavors where they mix two together.  They're a bit more potent.  La Croix is expensive, though.

I sort of cut out drinking soda by accident.  Just stopped buying my caffeine free diet and didn't miss it bad enough to buy more.

For lunch I've been trying to eat mostly fruits and veggies.  It's been about three out of the five days in the work week.  But it's a start.

Posted (edited)

You guys are doing so great!!! You should be so proud👏🎉 

I have mostly eaten and slept (and a little bit of dm lol) so far this year, so I had to eat freakishly healthy, if I just look at the wrong food I tell yah..😆 so the past week I have not slept so much in the day so this week I dare to try start working out lightly with yoga, I set a goal of doing yoga every day this comming week, yey! 

easter-egg-3257194_1280.jpg

2.  Hippity hoppity!

Edited by Lavandula

I fell off the wagon. With all the stress in my life right now, it's not the best time to make changes. I am pretty much keeping it down to two sodas a day, though - most days, anyway. 

This week I stared doing some light exercises.  Since having surgery in March--and still having open wounds on my chest--the amount of activities I can do are very limited.  I was doing walks 4-5 times a week for the past few weeks, but now I started to do some weight lifting.  Simple things, really.  Nothing too strenuous.  Push ups, lunges, squats.  Things like that.  It's been really nice!

After the Monday's session I felt like I was going to throw up!  That's how inactive my body has been.  But yesterday's session was better and easier.  I think I'll have to do more repetitions since I didn't feel as tired as Monday and Tuesday.

I started watching my calorie in-take, keeping it to about 1200 a day. I do have a cheat day once or twice a week. I actually started doing it last year, and have lost 30lbs total, but I really buckled down this year. I also started running again, as well as taking dance classes just recently.

I haven't updated in a long time, have I? I kicked the soda habit in August. It took a loooong time, but I did it. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, so watching my diet is more important than ever. I can't manage on the little amount of food my dietician suggested yet, but I am switching to no between meal snacks (mostly). One change at a time. 

On 10/3/2020 at 10:51 AM, LilyElizabeth said:

I haven't updated in a long time, have I? I kicked the soda habit in August. It took a loooong time, but I did it. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, so watching my diet is more important than ever. I can't manage on the little amount of food my dietician suggested yet, but I am switching to no between meal snacks (mostly). One change at a time. 

Baby steps sister. Any accomplishment is a success and note-worthy, so super congrats on kicking the soda habit! Keep up your good work, and if you need motivation, just reach out 🥰.

Good work everybody *says the lava while checking her mid week feel sorry for self waffles*

I have cut way back on my Coke Zero intake. It occurred to me recently that I had been drinking roughly a two-liter a day.

Oof, not good. But I enjoy it so much I knew I was going to have to kick in some positive motivation if I cut back on the soda intake. In short, more carrot, less stick.

So I made a deal with myself. I agreed that I'll only drink a small bottle of CZ during lunch. If I can go the rest of the day without soda--just water and tea--then I'll toss in two dollars into my retirement account. That's about what not drinking a two-liter would cost for the day, so I'll just divert that money into my financial security. That's as much as fourteen dollars a week, or 728 dollars a year. Better for my health and my financial peace of mind.

Likewise, if I can refrain from drinking soda when eating out, then I'll make it three bucks, since that's about what a restaurant soda runs including tax and tip. I'm not eating out much these days, obviously, but at least when I do I don't feel deprived and sorry for myself.

11 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

I have cut way back on my Coke Zero intake. It occurred to me recently that I had been drinking roughly a two-liter a day.

Oof, not good. But I enjoy it so much I knew I was going to have to kick in some positive motivation if I cut back on the soda intake. In short, more carrot, less stick.

So I made a deal with myself. I agreed that I'll only drink a small bottle of CZ during lunch. If I can go the rest of the day without soda--just water and tea--then I'll toss in two dollars into my retirement account. That's about what not drinking a two-liter would cost for the day, so I'll just divert that money into my financial security. That's as much as fourteen dollars a week, or 728 dollars a year. Better for my health and my financial peace of mind.

Likewise, if I can refrain from drinking soda when eating out, then I'll make it three bucks, since that's about what a restaurant soda runs including tax and tip. I'm not eating out much these days, obviously, but at least when I do I don't feel deprived and sorry for myself.

What a fantastic idea to put a couple dollars into your savings if you make your daily goal! I'm definitely going to do the same. Thank you for sharing!

That's some good motivation, James!

When I eat out it's a little rough. I don't know what to drink. I don't drink strange city water, and a few places make good tea. 

Totally agree on the water and tea lily, I usually end up drinking apple juice if they got although I usually do not eat out much since I get so sick afterwards😝 

I'm really happy about eating healthy this year like really really happy, and I finally started being able to work out more little by little😀😀😀

there is a slight downside but nothing I know how to fix anyway..my clothes fit perfect in the morning troughout the day though my tummy grows a lot, like people even asked if I'm pregnant cause it's just the tummy, so I get why it looks like it..I can't go out buying new clothes though cause I feel it's wasted money when my clothes fit just not all day and I do not have time to change clothes midway trough the day anyways 😝 so annoying😄 I think it's probably stress so if anyone got some good stress relieving teqniques or something shoot! 😀

I look forward to participating more on this topic (not right atm, but soon) as I have some background on fitness n health n such. Great post to help us during these trying times!

I started Noom in August.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  As a therapy graduate, I think the psychological aspect is a little focused on beginners, but some of their hits and tips are really useful!

I've lost 16 lbs so far, and it's been very easy.  

The program does restrict calories (I should be eating 1200 a day according to them), but I don't stress if I go over.  I eat what I want, but I'm listening to my body's cues and stopping when I'm full.  This has been very successful!  I haven't cut out any food group.  I'm still eating pizza every week.  I went to a European bakery this morning and came home with two pies.

It's all about moderation.  And I'm so glad that I've found that happy place between overly indulgent and denying myself.

So good to hear! That is a lot to lose, and to be easy?! Congrats. 

My first tip to folks is: when starting something new (workouts/diets/lifestyle changes) tie it to something you already do as an established routine. My sword instructor taught me this and its so helpful. Brushing your teeth, yer morning coffee, or any routine at all, you can use it to make new activities and changes easier to incorporate into your life. Spending 10-15 min a day on a new routine is more than enough to start what could be the beginning of a lifetime 🙂 Good luck to you all over the holidays!!!

11 hours ago, Mashiara Sedai said:

I started Noom in August.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  As a therapy graduate, I think the psychological aspect is a little focused on beginners, but some of their hits and tips are really useful!

I've lost 16 lbs so far, and it's been very easy.  

The program does restrict calories (I should be eating 1200 a day according to them), but I don't stress if I go over.  I eat what I want, but I'm listening to my body's cues and stopping when I'm full.  This has been very successful!  I haven't cut out any food group.  I'm still eating pizza every week.  I went to a European bakery this morning and came home with two pies.

It's all about moderation.  And I'm so glad that I've found that happy place between overly indulgent and denying myself.

Oh mashi so happy for you!!!!

I'm gonna read this program cause I suspect the sole reason for my weight gain is stress..

I tried a calory counter it was so good cause it actually told me I eat to little proteins and such, but otherwice healthy.

However I found it so time consuming and problematic to weigh everything.. and also preferably to get it correct I would have to split and make in portion my dinner to get it right but that would double the work and amount of dishes and so on.. So I just had to stop it..did you find an easy solution by any chance?

Edited by Lavandula

Lily and I can’t drink juice only if we are very low.

James, you do save a lot by not ordering drinks at a restaurant. My son and his girlfriend are ordering water with lemon.

I swim laps an hour a day 6 days a week.

On 11/8/2020 at 2:00 AM, Lavandula said:

Oh mashi so happy for you!!!!

I'm gonna read this program cause I suspect the sole reason for my weight gain is stress..

I tried a calory counter it was so good cause it actually told me I eat to little proteins and such, but otherwice healthy.

However I found it so time consuming and problematic to weigh everything.. and also preferably to get it correct I would have to split and make in portion my dinner to get it right but that would double the work and amount of dishes and so on.. So I just had to stop it..did you find an easy solution by any chance?

I don't know if there's an easy solution for counting calories.  The program I use has a lot of foods already listed, so it's not too bad to search for items.  If they don't have something, I choose a food that's similar and guestimate the calories I'd eaten.  

The whole point of Noom (once you get down to the core) is to take cues from your body to decide how much and how often to eat.  I'm getting close to not having to log my meals anymore because I'm getting better at portion control.  I want to be able to just eat and not worry about it all, and so spending the time to get the data now should help in the long run!

14 minutes ago, Mashiara Sedai said:

The whole point of Noom (once you get down to the core) is to take cues from your body to decide how much and how often to eat.

Oooh.. I thought you ment how stress and other psycological issues can affect your physical health also weight gain or loss.

This actually sounds a lot like a course I was on when working in kindergarten. Basically the theory was we are born with the instict but we learn to eat by set times and not listen to our bodies, so we loose touch with those feelings and hints the body gives us, But we could learn to listen again. it was very interesting, is that what you mean?

I wonder if I still have papers from that course anywhere hm...

Just now, Lavandula said:

Oooh.. I thought you ment how stress and other psycological issues can affect your physical health also weight gain or loss.

This actually sounds a lot like a course I was on when working in kindergarten. Basically the theory was we are born with the instict but we learn to eat by set times and not listen to our bodies, so we loose touch with those feelings and hints the body gives us, But we could learn to listen again. it was very interesting, is that what you mean?

I wonder if I still have papers from that course anywhere hm...

Oh yes!  That's what they do as well!  It covers a lot of ground and they do show why we tend to overeat using science and psychology.  It's been super interesting!

I did see a study that showed how infants are able to regulate their calories.  When fed a bottle with more calorie dense foods, they stopped eating sooner.  They instinctively knew when to stop and had the same caloric intake as the baby drinking the regular bottle!

That's excactly it! They just had another name on it. Oh my gosh that is so interesting! do you have any links you would like to recommend? or else I just google😃

I talked to a psychologist about instincts and how they learned about it in their studies; how basic instincts are still strong in us, and will affect our actions even if one is aware of it like a psychologist would be. Because we might have evolved the world we live in, but we haven't really evolved ourselves that much over time.. (I am not a psychologist myself so this is just my understanding of what they said though, and I will stand corrected if anything was misunderstood)😝