DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Mashiara Sedai

Happy & Healthy in 2020

Welcome to a whole new year here in the White Ajah!  In the past we’ve done “Getting Lean” challenges but this year we’re going to try something different.  Rather than focus on weight loss, we want to emphasis better, healthier choices.

Many factors indicate a healthy body.  Our obsession with weight only can do more harm than good.  Losing weight isn’t a bad thing, but highlighting good habits, discussing ideas for being more active, sharing healthy recipes, etc. can help us get into a more productive mindset!

So join us on a quest to a healthier body and a healthier mind!

I'm here!

My biggest struggle is consistency! I am trying to eat healthy, exercise and get plenty of sleep, but its so easy to slip back into bad habits! I definitely need this!

7 minutes ago, Rhea said:

I'm here!

My biggest struggle is consistency! I am trying to eat healthy, exercise and get plenty of sleep, but its so easy to slip back into bad habits! I definitely need this!

I agree!  Consistency is key.  My diet isn’t the worst but it can definitely be improved.  My focus will be on being more active.  If I’m consistent with activities, I know my health will get better.  Ice skating helps, but 30 minutes twice a week isn’t enough!

I love the new and improved "getting lean"!!!

I'm gonna be in on this too. My problem is also consistency..I forget to eat..lol. Meal prep and alarms helps some.?

Posted (edited)

My problem is the complete opposite. My diet is fine, but I eat too much of it. Normally I make a excuse for my height. But I'm on a basketball team so I'm fairly active.

Edited by Caldazar al'Aemon

Yeah I feel I got the meals mostly down now, so I think my focus will be activity too.

I'm lifting weights twice a week and do yoga several times a week. I miss running though so I thought I would set myself a goal of light fitness 10 minutes every day. I know that might not sound like much, but I believe in setting yourself up for success? 

Sounds like a great plan, Lava!  I did a 15 minute walk tonight so I feel I’m off to a good start!  

The difficult part is squeezing exercise into my day.  My new job is still so time consuming and my commute is terrible!  When I get home the last thing I want to do is jog.  

I want to look into resuming Irish step dancing lessons.  It was an amazing workout and so much fun!

This is so great! I want to start working out again. And I'm supposed to see a nutritionist. I got the referral. I just haven't called them yet. I could start working out tomorrow. I like to lift weights and do yoga. 

I just saw Oprah on TV say, "Healthy is the new skinny."

Last night I opted to walk to the library to return a couple of DVDs, rather than drive. It was 2.2 miles over uneven terrain, and I saved the gas and CO2 output. It felt right.

I also am in the gym lifting barbells three times a week. 

Great work everyone! I saw Oprah on this morning too! Positivity is really helpful. sometimes it is hard to stay positive but I think it really helps with getting that consistency too. 

I am starting a food log. I have a coach that is helping me with both my diet and exercise. I really need the support and accountability!

I made an appointment today to see a nutritionist. I'm nervous and not sure how much they can help, because I am so busy. Fast food is sometimes all there is time for. Trying to stay positive...

i'm starting to try and take this approach too. still watching what i eat, but i'm working on being mindful about it, listening to my body when it says it's had enough. eat only when actually hungry. since my problem is that if i have food i like or don't have often i feel like i need to eat it all. 

also i'm upping my workouts, more reps of things and made the goal of doing 25 sit-ups for thirty days, see what that does. i think short goals like that are the way to go

I'm so proud of us so far!  The best way to make changes is to do small, manageable things.  I feel we start of the new year with so many resolutions and it's too overwhelming.  So I made a point of NOT making new years resolutions this time.  I didn't exercise January 1st, and I was fine with that.  Rather than freak out over the things I HAVEN'T done, I'm going to praise myself for the things I HAVE done.  Positive mindset goes a long way!

My sister is working on her internship to be a registered dietitian.  She has two months left to go!  She's such an inspiration to me and has helped me tremendously in the past two years since she graduated from ASU with her degree in dietetics.  Here's something she posted on Facebook earlier this week and it's such great advice!

IMG_1098.jpg

I started cycling again as the weather is nice. Thirty miles a week.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:28 AM, Mashiara Sedai said:

I'm so proud of us so far!  The best way to make changes is to do small, manageable things.  I feel we start of the new year with so many resolutions and it's too overwhelming.  So I made a point of NOT making new years resolutions this time.  I didn't exercise January 1st, and I was fine with that.  Rather than freak out over the things I HAVEN'T done, I'm going to praise myself for the things I HAVE done.  Positive mindset goes a long way!

My sister is working on her internship to be a registered dietitian.  She has two months left to go!  She's such an inspiration to me and has helped me tremendously in the past two years since she graduated from ASU with her degree in dietetics.  Here's something she posted on Facebook earlier this week and it's such great advice!

IMG_1098.jpg

Great quote!

My youngest son's girlfriend is studying nutrition.

On 1/3/2020 at 3:49 PM, LilyElizabeth said:

I made an appointment today to see a nutritionist. I'm nervous and not sure how much they can help, because I am so busy. Fast food is sometimes all there is time for. Trying to stay positive...

How did that go?

@LilyElizabeth

It went really well. She asked me to tell her two changes I would make right away. I chose to cut back to 2 sodas a day and to take my lunch to work 3 times a week instead of fast food. It's been hard, but I've done pretty well at it. 

Update: Just making those two changes, I've lost 8 pounds the first month. I hasn't quite been a month yet, I don't think. But it has been 8 pounds. I wanted to lose 5 pounds a month for a year. Total of 60. So, my progress is good so far. 

Letting go of the soda is going to be hard. I crave the bubbles. Maybe I'll try to find a sparkling water that I like. Any suggestions?

I enjoy bubly. They have all sorts of flavors, no calories and no sweeteners. They are just like soda.

Thanks, Lava!

Ryrin, I bought some cranberry bubly last night. I haven't tried it yet, though. I wanted it to get cold. I did try a store brand (Walmart) cherry lemonade. The amount of bubbles was good, but I thought the flavor was too strong. I think this idea will work, though, because I stopped craving Pepsi after I drank it.