DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

2020 Book Challenge Discussion

@PiedPiper I haven't read the book you are recommending, but I just read the second book in a series that is doing something quite similar. It's not set in a modern world but the characterization is on point, there's just enough intrigue and tiny hints to keep you hurrying along and then the ending just.... I still haven't wrapped my brain around it. There's romance, there's dark (definitely) dark elements, there's plot, there's fantasy, and.... I so need book 3 now lol 

I should add - this is about Kingdom of Flesh and Fire by Jennifer L. Armenout. There are things I would have suggested she change because pacing was way off in the first half for each but man, the last half just... WOW lol

I'll have to add All the Birds in the Sky to my ever-growing TBR pile.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, PiedPiper said:

@Jeannaisais please, please do! And I'll add Kingdom of Flesh and Fire!

You'll want to read From Blood and Ash first since Kingdom of Flesh and Fire is book two by the way 😉 

7 hours ago, Jeannaisais said:

You'll want to read From Blood and Ash first since Kingdom of Flesh and Fire is book two by the way 😉 

Oh, I thought that was the name of the series, haha. But yeah -- I'll start with book one.

7 hours ago, PiedPiper said:

Oh, I thought that was the name of the series, haha. But yeah -- I'll start with book one.

Tis both? I think... Yeah, pretty sure the series name and book one name are one and the same 😉 Oh and I should add that it is adult fantasy.

I've got All the Birds in the Sky on my TBR on Goodreads and in my Amazon wishlist to send for upcoming gift requests lol

• 2 weeks later...

I think for the first time in about a decade I am not going to make my reading goal this year. I have still read plenty this year but the mood of the entire year has really thrown off my reading groove. 

Anyone else feel similar?

15 hours ago, blank said:

I think for the first time in about a decade I am not going to make my reading goal this year. I have still read plenty this year but the mood of the entire year has really thrown off my reading groove. 

Anyone else feel similar?

Mine is actually the opposite!! This is the first year in a while I have met my reading goal. Usually I just scrape by and read what I had to read for teaching and grad school. I am done with grad school, though, and had a long break from teaching so I dove back into the world of books as part of my coping mechanism of missing being in the classroom. My goal here was 12, but my goal on Goodreads was 24 and I started my 24th book for the year last night. 

That's great to hear Jea!

Congrats on finishing grad school, that's awesome. 

3 hours ago, Jeannaisais said:

Thanks @blank and @PiedPiper - I actually finished grad school way back in May of 2019 (that feels SO long ago now) but was burnt out on reading and writing after those few intense years!

I get that -- I can read 7 books in a week and then get so tired of reading that I make it through only one book the next week.

6 minutes ago, PiedPiper said:

I get that -- I can read 7 books in a week and then get so tired of reading that I make it through only one book the next week.

Between teaching and grad school I was easily reading that much in a week's time - and I had a baby in the midst of grad school (didn't plan for that to happen, but it did...)

I keep thinking I'm done with school and then randomly look up PhD plans. Maybe some day? I'm just happy I finally got back into reading what I WANT to read rather than what I HAVE to read!

A baby in school? That's rough. But I'm glad you're enjoying what you're reading now!

Edited by PiedPiper
On 11/9/2020 at 4:23 PM, PiedPiper said:

A baby in school? That's rough. But I'm glad you're enjoying what you're reading now!

Yup - it worked out in the end and I couldn't imagine life without my little man now 🙂 

So much fun to read books you pick out on your own - that's for sure!! 

• 1 month later...

So after years of avoiding Dickens because I got a couple chapters into A Tale of Two Cities and thought it was annoying and pretentious, I finally picked up A Christmas Carol as a favor to a friend who really likes his work.

And I've got to say, man am I dumb.

This was a great story! I didn't think it was possible to do a really solid redemption arc in so few pages, but Dickens managed it. And it's such a cheery story -- put me in a good mood the whole rest of the night. I really recommend you give it a try if you're intimidated by Dickens; the writing style wasn't nearly as archaic as I remembered (although it's possible I've just gotten better at digesting old writing, since I've started reading more and more classics recently), and it's pretty short, so relatively low-investment. 

23 hours ago, PiedPiper said:

So after years of avoiding Dickens because I got a couple chapters into A Tale of Two Cities and thought it was annoying and pretentious, I finally picked up A Christmas Carol as a favor to a friend who really likes his work.

And I've got to say, man am I dumb.

This was a great story! I didn't think it was possible to do a really solid redemption arc in so few pages, but Dickens managed it. And it's such a cheery story -- put me in a good mood the whole rest of the night. I really recommend you give it a try if you're intimidated by Dickens; the writing style wasn't nearly as archaic as I remembered (although it's possible I've just gotten better at digesting old writing, since I've started reading more and more classics recently), and it's pretty short, so relatively low-investment. 

I am very intimidated by Dickens and very much put off by his archaic style. However my friend bought me a nice copy last year that I've not touched. 

Maybe I'll have a look - thanks Piper!

1 hour ago, blank said:

I am very intimidated by Dickens and very much put off by his archaic style. However my friend bought me a nice copy last year that I've not touched. 

Maybe I'll have a look - thanks Piper!

Always!

You know, I've noticed that our stories are suspiciously similar... conspiracy theory: your friend and my friend are actually part of a secret worldwide organization that seeks to brainwash everyone into becoming Dickens fans by casually mentioning him in conversation and then standing in silent judgement until we read his works.

Edited by PiedPiper

So I finished Rhythm of War last night and my brain is going nope nope nope nope nope nope nope surely my copy must be missing pages we need to search for more story THIS CAN'T BE OVER!!!

I discovered The Stormlight Archive fairly recently, so I've never done the 3-year wait between books and I just can't see myself functioning properly until SA5 is out. I now have immense respect for the fans who have done this three times already.

@PiedPiper I still haven't started the Stormlight Archives - it's def on my TBR list but that waiting game.... I already made the mistake of reading one series that isn't finished yet this year and the next book comes out in April of 2021 and THAT feels like too long of a wait for me lol

3 hours ago, Jeannaisais said:

@PiedPiper I still haven't started the Stormlight Archives - it's def on my TBR list but that waiting game.... I already made the mistake of reading one series that isn't finished yet this year and the next book comes out in April of 2021 and THAT feels like too long of a wait for me lol

Well, Sanderson plans to split The Stormlight Archive into two five-book arcs, and book five is coming out in (probably fall or winter) 2023 -- so maybe consider picking them up in 2022 or early 2023, and that way you can get on the conclusion hype train without waiting three years.

But it's also valid if you decide to wait for the whole series. I don't want to be pushy.

20 hours ago, PiedPiper said:

Well, Sanderson plans to split The Stormlight Archive into two five-book arcs, and book five is coming out in (probably fall or winter) 2023 -- so maybe consider picking them up in 2022 or early 2023, and that way you can get on the conclusion hype train without waiting three years.

But it's also valid if you decide to wait for the whole series. I don't want to be pushy.

We shall see when it happens - both my dad and brother highly recommend Stormlight Archives so I wouldn't be surprise if I get some of those books as gifts next week lol But I still have a bout 15 books to read that I got for my bday last month! The hardest part about a TBR list is deciding what to read next - so many good books, so little time!