DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Cross

2020 Book Challenge Discussion

@PiedPiper Ella Enchanted was one of my favs when I was younger!! I need to offer that to my some students because I really think it might capture some of them!

I'm 8 chapters in to Throne of Glass and enjoying it so far!

I just updated my read list in the book challenge and found something awesome: I have SURPASSED my goal for this book challenge! That's a first! And, it's mostly new books I haven't read before as opposed to rereading books for teaching purposes! *does mini happy dance*

28 minutes ago, Jeannaisais said:

@PiedPiper Ella Enchanted was one of my favs when I was younger!! I need to offer that to my some students because I really think it might capture some of them!

Yes, spread the word of Levine! I've picked up a couple of her other books, too, and the ones I've read so far have been great!

Make sure they don't watch the movie, though... It deviates from the source material in some really painful ways, and the movie is so different from the book that you cannot spoil the book by describing the end of the movie. One of the last scenes goes like this (no book spoilers ahead, I promise):

The evil, power-hungry king decides to kill the prince by poisoning his crown (which doesn't really make sense, because the prince wasn't going to eat it, but moving on...), but Ella storms in with a band of angry and aggressive giants during the coronation just in time to thwart the assassination attempt. The guards are no match for the giants, so the evil king's pet talking snake... presses a button on the wall... and summons ninjas. The conflict is resolved when the evil king, in all the chaos, takes the poisoned crown, put it on his head, and falls dead.

See? Even if you've read the book, you have no idea what I'm talking about and cannot imagine where this came from!

haha I've seen the movie too and was beyond disappointed in it! The same can be said of many novels turned into film.... the medium just isn't the same. I understand and know that often changes *have* to happen, but some choices they make just argh

I'm currently working through Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It's as if a fantasy novel were written by Charles Dickens.

In the Napoleonic Era, Mr Norrell is trying desperately to restore magic to England. By this time, true magic is almost unknown, and magicians are mere scholars who read and study the historically great magicians in ancient books. Mr Norrell knows that magic is real, and he fights for legitimacy and the chance to aid England in her hour of desperate need.

But should he succeed to open the door between our world and the Faerie world, will he be able to control who strolls through?

ooooooooooo i read that like a year ago or so. good book, long but good

18 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

I'm currently working through Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It's as if a fantasy novel were written by Charles Dickens.

In the Napoleonic Era, Mr Norrell is trying desperately to restore magic to England. By this time, true magic is almost unknown, and magicians are mere scholars who read and study the historically great magicians in ancient books. Mr Norrell knows that magic is real, and he fights for legitimacy and the chance to aid England in her hour of desperate need.

But should he succeed to open the door between our world and the Faerie world, will he be able to control who strolls through?

I think I read excerpts from this in one of my college classes because it sounds incredibly familiar but I know I didn't read the whole thing. Sounds like I should add it back to my TBR pile!

I find that I often enjoy YA literature. Have you read “The Book Thief?”

YA is fantastic! Amulet of Samarkand - Jonathan Stroud, so good. 

I just started the Invisible Life of Addie Larue. I'm maybe 50 pages in, but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. PLEASE pick it up, I love it so much and I want to talk to someone about it.

Also @StarRisk thought we should move this to the book discussion thread because I just started Leviathan Wakes -- it's a little slow so far, but I expect that with any hard sci-fi, so I'm super looking forward to getting into it.

Edited by PiedPiper

I will pick it up asap! Thanks for the recommendation.

We are in the right place, correct? Have you watched the Expanse series @PiedPiper? It picks up, but I don't mind slow either. I really like the middle WoT books that get a lot of flak for being "slow" 😉

1 hour ago, StarRisk said:

I will pick it up asap! Thanks for the recommendation.

We are in the right place, correct? Have you watched the Expanse series @PiedPiper? It picks up, but I don't mind slow either. I really like the middle WoT books that get a lot of flak for being "slow" 😉

Yeah, we're in the right place.

Yay for picking up The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. I can't wait to finally talk about it!

I've started watching the Expanse TV series with my dad -- I'm not a TV person, but it's a nice way to spend time with him. I'm still in the middle of the first book. It's not that I mind the slowness so much, but it's been recommended to me as an epic space opera and I just don't see it yet.

As for WoT, I didn't really feel a slog in the middle either, but I guess it's harder for some people than for others.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, Ryrin said:

I find that I often enjoy YA literature. Have you read “The Book Thief?”

I've read the first like hundred ish pages of "The Book Thief" and then had to put it aside for one reason or another, probably school related. I mix YA lit in with Adult and classics because I like a variety. I also teach teenagers and YA feels like I'm working sometimes lol

14 hours ago, PiedPiper said:

I've started watching the Expanse TV series with my dad -- I'm not a TV person, but it's a nice way to spend time with him. I'm still in the middle of the first book. It's not that I mind the slowness so much, but it's been recommended to me as an epic space opera and I just don't see it yet.

The books are on my TBR list but hubs and I watched ALL of the Expanse currently available to watch. I *really* enjoyed the TV show!

23 hours ago, PiedPiper said:

Yeah, we're in the right place.

Yay for picking up The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. I can't wait to finally talk about it!

As for WoT, I didn't really feel a slog in the middle either, but I guess it's harder for some people than for others.

I just finished Leviathan Wakes and thought it was outstanding. If space opera is what you like, and you're in the middle of the book, then you're about to the point where things take a huge left turn. What seems like a big stage suddenly becomes smaller. I won't say more, but do stick with it.

I'll be watching The Expanse shortly now that I am familiar with the characters. I'm curious to see how it holds up. I've spoken to book fans and TV fans and it's interesting to see how they compare. 

I just finished “19 Minutes” by Jodi Picoult. 

I finished The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. I also cried. Are the two events related? Definitely not... *looks suspiciously suspicious*

Edited by PiedPiper

10 hours ago, PiedPiper said:

I finished The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. I also cried. Are the two events related? Definitely not... *looks suspiciously suspicious*

This book sounds fantastic.

However, I've read a few VE Schwab books and I'm always super pumped about the synopsis but almost feel like the novel doesn't live up to it. But maybe that's just me, she is certainly a very popular author. 

4 hours ago, blank said:

However, I've read a few VE Schwab books and I'm always super pumped about the synopsis but almost feel like the novel doesn't live up to it. But maybe that's just me, she is certainly a very popular author. 

I understand what you mean -- I had that with her Shades of Magic series. But I picked this one up for a friend's sake, and I'm definitely happy about it. I think Addie is just different from her other books? But if there are books you're really excited about, don't go out on a limb for this one.

I started “The Black Widow” by Daniel Silva. It’s in the Gabriel Allon series.

Never heard of it! Is it the first in the series, or are you partway through it?

I finished Educated by Tara Westover yesterday and I read it within 24 hours and it was so good. 

It's the memoir of a lady who was brought up very religious within a family who prepping for the end of the world. It was so interesting and also wonderfully written. It was very heavy subject matter but I could just not put it down. 

16 hours ago, blank said:

I finished Educated by Tara Westover yesterday and I read it within 24 hours and it was so good. 

It's the memoir of a lady who was brought up very religious within a family who prepping for the end of the world. It was so interesting and also wonderfully written. It was very heavy subject matter but I could just not put it down. 

Educated is on my TBR list!! I've heard good reviews of it many times!

I just put a new one at my list;

"Surounded by idiots", it gives a fresh take on how to understand different types of personalities and how to comunicate better with eachoter. Anyone read it?

I finished All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders, and it was a perfect book. You might have a different experience with it, different preferences; we might disagree. But for me, it was a perfect book.

The character development was masterful. I didn't like the romance parts as I was getting through it, but in hindsight, it was necessary. I'll explain later. Each of the characters felt so real to me in this visceral, indescribable way. I've never felt that before. Yes, there are books with amazing, off-the-charts character development (like WoT) that make you feel connected to them. But Patricia and Laurence are different somehow. I think it's that even though this is obviously SFF, their struggles and character arcs have nothing to do with magic or technology. Sure, said arcs tie in to the magical and technological institutions to which the characters belong, but the issues they have with said institutions have nothing to do with the magic and science and everything to do with the people involved.

Speaking of which -- the worldbuilding! The magic systems! I have never seen magic so skillfully intertwined and tied to the modern world (it's a low fantasy, by the way, I forgot to mention that) and the science fiction parts. This struggle between nature vs technology makes the Earth feel alive, like an actual character in the book. That's not a sentence that makes sense. I know it's not. But it's the only way to describe how I feel.

Also, the themes. And the ending. I won't talk about either here, because of spoilers, but if anyone else has read this book or decides to read it, please let me know and I want to talk about it over PM. Suffice it to say, everything was necessary and intentional. By the very end, I realized that even the romance, which I didn't like in the middle of the book, was vital. I put it down thinking, how could I have missed this? It was so obvious the entire time! And that's my attitude in general about the book. I finished it, and the ending seemed so obvious -- I should've seen it coming from a mile away! But I didn't, and I don't think I could have no matter how much attention I paid to each and every little detail. I don't want to say it was unexpected because I honestly had no idea what to expect until the end, but it was an incredible finish.

God, there's not enough space in my head for this book; it's quite possibly tied now with American Gods for my favorite book of all time. I cannot get post-book depression because there's just so much for me to think about. I cannot articulate my thoughts. I started it at 6:30pm last night and kept reading until I finished it at about 1:00 am. I will be rereading and annotating.

Please read it.

Edited by PiedPiper