Jump to content

DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Cross

Brown Ajah Book Challenge 2020

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, StarRisk said:

I am an avid reader, meaning i just read a lot, though it may be the same thing many times

Ah, a kindred reader -- I too have been rereading tons recently, especially since quarantine started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Gosh, there are so many, right? I love the StarRiskLtd series (Chris Bunch/Steve&Dal  Perry), Casca the Eternal Mercenary (Barry Sadler), Sten (Chris Bunch & Alan Cole), Temeraire series (Naomi Novik), Rain Wild Chronicles (Robin Hobb), Dragons of Pern (Anne McCaffrey), Dragonlance series (Margarett Weis, Tracy Hickman, Richard A Knaak & many others), Legend of Drizzt (R A Salvatore), The Expanse series (James S A Corey)....

 

the list truly goes on and on as this only scratches the surface, but its what came to mind in a couple minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 12:08 PM, Cross said:

yup. read for pleasure, read for knowledge.

 

I've been working on the read for enjoyment idea with my students. So often they just read for information rather than for pleasure 😢 I've implemented reading Fridays where they get to read choice novels for the class period, and it has been a beautiful and amazing process so far! I've got teenage boys who told me at the beginning of the school year "reading is stupid" now so engrossed in books that they're reading them outside of our reading time on Fridays! Makes my heart so happy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 3:05 PM, PiedPiper said:

Ah, a kindred reader -- I too have been rereading tons recently, especially since quarantine started.

 

I mainly reread for teaching - every year I go back through Gatsby, Hamlet, The Crucible, etc. I've been fighting the desire to reread WoT because my TBR list is so insanely long still! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jeannaisais said:

 

I've been working on the read for enjoyment idea with my students. So often they just read for information rather than for pleasure 😢 I've implemented reading Fridays where they get to read choice novels for the class period, and it has been a beautiful and amazing process so far! I've got teenage boys who told me at the beginning of the school year "reading is stupid" now so engrossed in books that they're reading them outside of our reading time on Fridays! Makes my heart so happy!!

 

 

yeah that was pretty much me in school. had to read so didnt thoroughly enjoy it. thats an awesome way to attack it! glad its working

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cross said:

 

 

yeah that was pretty much me in school. had to read so didnt thoroughly enjoy it. thats an awesome way to attack it! glad its working

 

It is! My favorite part is that I read with them too! Studies show if the teacher isn't modeling the behavior, the students won't see the benefit of it. We have no school Friday this week so our reading day is being moved to today. Reading day is my favorite day lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 3:24 AM, Jeannaisais said:

I've been working on the read for enjoyment idea with my students. So often they just read for information rather than for pleasure 😢 I've implemented reading Fridays where they get to read choice novels for the class period, and it has been a beautiful and amazing process so far! I've got teenage boys who told me at the beginning of the school year "reading is stupid" now so engrossed in books that they're reading them outside of our reading time on Fridays! Makes my heart so happy!!

I think I was really lucky; when I was in elementary school, our school had a similar system to yours. We called it DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) time, and we just read whatever we wanted for 30 minutes to an hour at the end of the day a couple days each week. We also were sort of halfway outside the school system, so we didn't follow the district's reading curriculum, so we took no comprehension tests at the end of each book like so many schools do. I think that helped us love reading also, because it really kills a book when you know you'll have to take a test on it at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you in a Charter school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a magnet school. The district left us to our own devices, for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PiedPiper said:

I think I was really lucky; when I was in elementary school, our school had a similar system to yours. We called it DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) time, and we just read whatever we wanted for 30 minutes to an hour at the end of the day a couple days each week. We also were sort of halfway outside the school system, so we didn't follow the district's reading curriculum, so we took no comprehension tests at the end of each book like so many schools do. I think that helped us love reading also, because it really kills a book when you know you'll have to take a test on it at the end.

 

I did DEAR in high school as well but I call mine SSR (Silent Sustained Reading). I still ask students to answer two simple questions about their reading for the day just to see that they are reading and thinking about what they read. The main issue I remember from DEAR is that teachers didn't model the reading, they'd yell at students to read but not do the same themselves. I model the reading behavior with them. They are seeing me get invested in the books I'm reading to the point that while they were working on projects after reading yesterday, I continued to read my book rather than get grading done lol It was the last 100 pages of Maas's Throne of Glass.... and the last 100 pages of most books are hard to put down until you're done, ya know?

 

I don't always do tests for class novels/stories. Depends on the group really - I concentrate more on having them write analysis papers about what we read together. I want them to think deep, not regurgitate information 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...