DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Alanna and her warders?

jibJAB

Hey y'all, what do you make of the casting announcement about Alanna and her warders? Owein is renamed as Maksim (maybe so he's not confused with Thom's nephew Owyn, would be my guess), but it seems so strange to me to cast her now. She doesn't show up till book 2 (I mean, New Spring too, but in the main sequence) and isn't really much of a factor until TSR. Seems reasonable to conclude that she'll be a bigger character in the TV show. Any theories as to what her role in season 1 might be?

I think they are trying to do a good bit of Book 2 in Season 1. Maybe even all of it.

You can't make a show like this for 14 seasons or whatever. Things are definitely going to get moved around, condensed, and consolidated.

I am VERY curious about how they are going to handle the end of Book 1. Wonder if they will want to depict it as such a large victory if it is something that happens mid-season, also wonder how much they can really pull off The Blight early on. We might see some significant changes there.

Also makes you wonder how many episodes a season they are planning on.  Book 1 IMO is too important to rush through and try to handle in like 4 episodes.

Some books like book 3 and many of the later books you can condense, but there are a few books that are too important to the story to condense too much.  But a lot will depend on how many episodes they are thinking of.   Say if it was 12 episodes they could probably do a book 1 and 2 for a season.

Edited by Sabio

Yeah, I agree that a lot of the later books could be condensed considerably. Things like the Faile/Shaido subplot, the loooong stay in Ebou Dar, etc., etc.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, Elendir said:

I expect expansion of story around Logaine and the White Tower during the Eye of the World.

This will give more space to different characters.

These are good points! I'd totally forgotten they've already cast Logain. Make it more of an ensemble show from the get-go.

Also will depend on how much liberty that they have been given to expand on stuff that might not be in RJ's notes.  The Lord of the Ring series they are doing, they have been told they can't expand on some stuff or change certain things.

Edited by Sabio

On 12/31/2019 at 9:55 AM, Sabio said:

Also makes you wonder how many episodes a season they are planning on.  Book 1 IMO is too important to rush through and try to handle in like 4 episodes.

Some books like book 3 and many of the later books you can condense, but there are a few books that are too important to the story to condense too much.  But a lot will depend on how many episodes they are thinking of.   Say if it was 12 episodes they could probably do a book 1 and 2 for a season.

4-5 episodes for EotW might suffice, depending on how they did it. Episode 1 for the Two Rivers & fleeing, episode 2 for Shadar Logoth & the separation, episode 3 for everybody on the road & reuniting at the end, episode 4 for the Ways & Shienar to set up Tarwin's Gap, then either do Tarwin's Gap and the Eye of the World at the end of 4 or in an episode 5. EotW has a lot of important setup, but also a ton of stuff they can compress if they like.