DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Liitha

Science

Wrrrr ok so I used the way back when machine and I found a discusion held by Ren'shai

science is a very large and diverse field with so many interesting discoveries..actually for those into the field you probably well know we are living what is considered the fourth industrial revolution.

So there so many things that can be debated as was also pointed out last, but keeping to the wayback stuff the debate last was started with this simple yet so complex question

do you trust science?

Do you trust scientists, but not science journalists? Do you trust the results of studies but not how the news might interpret them? Do you have access to the information that you would like to have in order to decide whether you trust science or not? 

I def dont trust the papers with science, if you go to the original source it often is a lot more variation and making more sence then their simplified headlines and articles

So much errors in paper articles due to not reading papers properly.

The first thing I usualy check for is the evaluation of studies where they sugest posible errors if its thin or lacking I am less likely to trust the results. 

There is no perfect studies, they all have limitations, and are based on factors, and if certain factors is wrong then the study may be wrong. So the ability to point out those fall pits shows self insigth and that the researcher has thougth things through and been thourough.

And it goes for all science fields really, be it chemistry, biology or physics.

Edited by Liitha

17 hours ago, Liitha said:

I def dont trust the papers with science, if you go to the original source it often is a lot more variation and making more sence then their simplified headlines and articles

I agree here. The days of the majority of newspapers and journalists having a proper education and stringent ethics is long past, sadly.

I've read somewhere that there are so many science papers being published now that's it's very difficult to repeat experiments and verify a paper's results.  I don't know if that's true, but it's not hard to believe.      

Agreed. But I don't know of a better method. Science has a built-in error-correction method that other fields don't have. Without that, it's mostly opinion.

Oh agreed, the problem is not all are as sober about it. And newspapers doesnt always care about accuracy as long as they can sell papers, either that or they put people on cases that dont have the nesicary knowledge to fully understand what they read and therefor missrepresent it.