DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Maedelin

A Question on Ilyena Therin Moerelle

I went looking in the forums, and the search bar is not cooperating, so I will ask it here.  Could Ilyena channel?  Was it ever written in RJ's notes?  I cannot find anything for or against, but I was really curious about that.

Some people have theorized that she was a channelor by the fact that she has three names, which is apparently reserved for channelors.  

However, I think her name was Ilyena Moerelle, and LTT's original name was simply Lews Therrin, with Therrin being his family name and she took his family name when they married.  Much like the full name of a married women under most western cultures is her Husband's Surname, followed by her own surname with a hyphen between them.  

Under American name system her name would have been Ilyena Moerella-Therin.   

Edited by Dagon Thyne

My guess is she couldn't, the companion says she was born Ilyena Moerelle Dalisar.  So she was born with three names.  When she got married she became Ilyena Therin Moerelle.

The third name was given for deeds. important research, great achievements etc.  Mesanna went over to the shadow because of her failure to earn a third name.  Her goal in life was to do research at the Collam Daan, and her failure to achieve that was a key part of her going to the shadow.  Moghi was another who never earned a third name.  So it was a mostly a thing of status.

Edited by Sabio

4 hours ago, jibJAB said:

Interesting, so would that mean that if you can be born with three names, you could inherit status?

Hey, that's a good question too! 

Maybe it is because Ilyena's mother or father, or both earned the third name by hard work, and their daughter was born and grew up with it due to the extent of the status they earned??

I cannot imagine that in egalitarian society like in the "ideal" society of the Age of Legends, someone can born with 3 names and others had to deserv it .
Also, the three names were (or will be) not reserved exclusively for chanelers. Chanelers was a big part of society and we don't know much about the rest.

I've always thought She could chanel.

Edited by Elendir

That's what it seems like to me is if you're born into a family with 3 names you inherit the three names. 

Sadly the companion doesn't say if Ilyena could channel or if she was an Aes Sedai.

Yeah, there must've been some weird kind of tension between having an egalitarian society and having channelers/non-channelers. Maybe that's where ter'angreal came in to equalize things a bit?

Rand admitted, I think in the last book, that he now understands their society wasn't as perfect as they thought it was.  Those in power convinced themselves that everything was perfect, when in truth there was a lot of inequality.

Edited by Sabio

The absolutely egalitarian society is just an ideal. It is more a definition against authoritarianism. The equality as amended by law/rules is however posible.
It is diferent betwen "de jure" and "de facto". Society can be egalitarian by law and injustice in real at same time.

I think, that there is still a big difference between the attitude of the Hall of Servants and the White Tower to ordinary people.