DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ten Things I Would Do if I Were Twenty-One

JamesBrown

I rather enjoyed this essay, written by Frank Crane in 1920. It's been a hundred years, but the lessons here are still relevant, I think. I'm curious what my fellow Warders (and our Barracks visitors, of course) think of these. Do any of them speak to you? 

10 Things I Would Do If I Were Twenty-One

I Would Do the Next Thing

I Would Adjust Myself

I Would Take Care of My Body

I Would Train My Mind

I Would Be Happy

I Would Get Married

I Would Save Money

I Would Study the Art of Pleasing

I Would Be a Thoroughbred

I Would Make Some Permanent, Amicable Arrangement With My Conscience

honestly i want to pick one but i'm of the firm mindset of everything i've been through has made me who i am now. so i wouldn't change or advise my younger self. however using these to advise a younger generation, well that's a different story

Being 21 now is much different than being 21 then, and this seems universally applicable.   And I agree with Cross, too on both points: what I've lived through has made me who I am. 

But, lol, as someone who might just be a doctor a few months from now, I can also say this is far too ambiguous. Here a few examples. I could find many more, though: 

"I Would Be Happy."  Too ambiguous.  "I Would [find ways; e.g. books, hobbies, relationships with other people, in order to become] Happy."1

1: This survey will discuss the specifics of which books or book series, precise hobbies, and personality types, in Chapter X, on pp. 102-136.)

"I Would Get Married." Again, unclear! I Would [find someone: e.g. a girl, boy, robot, in order that we can] Get Married."2

2: This study will discuss the details of these girls, boys, or robots: who or what they will be, the precise locations this investigation will explore, and the schedule and vigour of its programme, in Chapter X on pp. 176-228.)

"I Would Study the Art of Pleasing [to a certain extent]."3 Imprecise again.  He hasn't even defined "pleasing!" 

3: This survey will discuss the definition of "pleasing" in Chapter X on pp. 304-308, but also the curriculum of its pleasing course and its rigour, on pp. 310-338.

See, much clearer. :smile:  

Edited by haycraftd

On 11/17/2019 at 3:41 PM, haycraftd said:

Being 21 now is much different than being 21 then, and this seems universally applicable.   And I agree with Cross, too on both points: what I've lived through has made me who I am. 

But, lol, as someone who might just be a doctor a few months from now, I can also say this is far too ambiguous. Here a few examples. I could find many more, though: 

"I Would Be Happy."  Too ambiguous.  "I Would [find ways; e.g. books, hobbies, relationships with other people, in order to become] Happy."1

1: This survey will discuss the specifics of which books or book series, precise hobbies, and personality types, in Chapter X, on pp. 102-136.)

"I Would Get Married." Again, unclear! I Would [find someone: e.g. a girl, boy, robot, in order that we can] Get Married."2

2: This study will discuss the details of these girls, boys, or robots: who or what they will be, the precise locations this investigation will explore, and the schedule and vigour of its programme, in Chapter X on pp. 176-228.)

"I Would Study the Art of Pleasing [to a certain extent]."3 Imprecise again.  He hasn't even defined "pleasing!" 

3: This survey will discuss the definition of "pleasing" in Chapter X on pp. 304-308, but also the curriculum of its pleasing course and its rigour, on pp. 310-338.

See, much clearer. :smile:  

You made me guffaw *grins*

I actually often think about what all I would like to do differently. Unlike Cross, and a few others, I'm not happy with myself or my life. Stupid choices and laziness (there are always so many interesting books to read) were major contributors to this. If I had to pick one thing to change, it would be to study harder and get my degree.

@Elgee, I was only half-joking, lol.

Life can surprise you.  Sure, I made so many mistakes I now regret, and only started growing happy a few weeks ago.  But, take the alphabet: 26 letters.  We're all in the middle of writing a veeery long sentence, and we all made quite a few misspellings along the way.  But there are 26 letters.  If we went back and tried to correct those spelling errors, what are the chances that we actually would?  Chances are we'd just make things worse.