DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Cairos

IdleCuriosity WT/DM Class - Complete!

Welcome @IdleCuriosity to your personal WT/DM Class.

This will be your personal class with me during your time here. I, Cairos Sedai as your mentor will guide you as you explore both the Tower and yourself. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

To get to know your more, what drew you to the WoT Series and what are some of your hobbies?

*places out cookies and tea/coffee for the aspie*

IMG_2729.jpg

img_coffee-and-tea.jpg

Edited by JamesBrown

Oh! coffee with cream and brown sugar would be lovely, thanks!

So my older brother is about 10 years older than me. he was reading the wheel of time as a teenager. I loved reading and taking my older brother's things, so I pulled down Eye of the World and started reading it.. oh i dunno, 8 or 9 ish? 

My mom saw me with this huge book and was like oh no kiddo. wait till you're ten, at least, before reading something like that. I think she was more worried about the book surviving the chaos of small kids rather than me not being able to get it. 

So time went by, I had my 10th birthday and remembered... there was something I could do now! I asked my brother about two different books. cause i remembered this scary post-apocalyptic world with a man who killed his whole family, and this tolkinesque world with a farm boy with a shadow man. I had forgotten they were the same story by that point. 

After that I read through all the books that were out at the time obsessivly. I always had one with me, and would rather read than pay attention to anything else. My brother and I fought over who would get to read Winter's Heart first when it came out. My dad wanted to hide the books from me till chores and homework were done.

I re-read the series a few times, and found Dragonmount as a resource for quesitons about theories and keeping track of plots. 

My main hobby besides reading is knitting. I fidget and get restless easily, so having something to do with my hands is wonderful. I usually listen to aduio books or watch movies and TV while knitting. I like all sorts of anime. 

I also love gaming of many varieties. Table top role playing games are my favorite, but finding people with matching schedules is hard. I love minecraft, especially paired with audio books. I play Pokemon Go and I'm planning on getting Sword and Shield when it comes out. 

Yas! I love Role playing games too. I like Pokémon too since I grew up with Pokémon! 
So here is the first part of the class! If you have any questions feel free to ask. Feel free to go back and edit your post as you find your answers. Also there’s no time limit here, so take as much time as you need.

Part One: The White Tower

1)What are members of the WT/Warders expected to do?
2)What is the Code of Conduct, and how does it apply to you?
3)What in the heck does PG13 mean?
4)What is Thread-Hijacking and Spam, and what is the general policy of the WT/Warders regarding that?

Edited by Cairos

1) We're expected to participate in a social forum where we all have fun and are always respectful. 

2) The DM code of conduct has warnings built in for everything but hate speech, which is an auto ban. Don't have obnoxious signatures, don't be obnoxious about advertising or bumping threads either. Abusive/ bullying and swearing are also not permitted. 

This means I can't use any of George Carlin's seven words you can't say on television. and if I feel like someone needs to be taken to task or i don't like interacting with them, I need to take myself out of the situation and not hound after a person. I should only advertise where it's permitted to do so. If i want attention brought to a particular thread, I can find other ways than going *bump*. And only have 2 lines of text in addition to a signature banner. 

3) This ties in a bit with inappropriate language in the code of conduct. We're all typing here, so we can amend our language to say Blood and Ashes! instead of four lettered words that we don't want to say in court, or in front of grandma, or a 6 year old, or whatever.  This also includes toilet talk. 

It also means avoiding sexual themes in the posts. flirting and having fun is alright as long as it fits the atmosphere of the thread, and the people involved all seem comfortable with it. but sexual themes or talking that alludes to sexual themes isn't cool. Keep things safe for work/school. 

Thirdly, graphic violence isn't ok. I'd assume cartoonist bonking is just fine, but anything gory or graphic needs to not happen.

If I have pictures that are questionable if they'd be too scantily clad or too violent/gory, I should put them in a link that describes what's going on. 

4) hijacking and spam is when folks are  having conversations that don't fit within the thread they're on.  Talking to a friend is fun, but it's important to keep the tread open for others to jump in on what is being discussed. Similarly, spam isn't related to the thread, and isn't on topic, and just takes up space. 

question from me!

Are their any guildlines or expectations for how often folks should be posting here in the group? i've seen things about leaves of absense, but I'm not sure how that's different from life getting busy, or computer crashing or what not. 

16 hours ago, IdleCuriosity said:

Are their any guildlines or expectations for how often folks should be posting here in the group? i've seen things about leaves of absense, but I'm not sure how that's different from life getting busy, or computer crashing or what not. 

You can post as often or as little as you like. The LoA thread is mostly for staff members, or when you're supposed to be doing something but life happens. Generally if you are going to be away for more than a few weeks, post an LoA if you're able. It's not a train smash if you don't, though, other than for those mentioned above.

Great job with part one of the class. Let’s continue on with part two.

Part Two: The Subgroups

So what we normally recommend is that you start a post in your class thread and go back and edit it over time, and that the format is as follows:

[Ajah/Guild]
--[Who is in charge]
--[general focus if there is one]
--[link to relevant post #1]
--[link to relevant post #2]

Rinse and repeat for at least five of the eight Ajahs and Warders Guild.

Warders' Guild
--The Sword Captain is in charge, and that is JamesBrown

--Serve and aid the WT/W forum by keeping activity levels up and helping with activities. They get to know all the Ajahs in order to be able to fit in and help out with any of them. There are 3 subgroups called disciplines: Ren'shai (physical activity), Me'arearth (philosophers), and Cuen'd'eren (emphatic).
--

:ajahblue_by_drowelfmorwen-dc43fte:Blue Ajah
--Currently, this is changing hands. It is Sooh, but there will be another sometime soon.
--With the Dragonmount change over, there's not a lot of Blue activity to look over and get a good feel of the group. They're a small Ajah, but friendly! It seems they're the Fandom Ajah. There's a lot of freedom in their section of the tower to gush about your fandom/cause and find like minded folks. 
--

:ajahbrown_by_drowelfmorwen-dc43ft9:Brown Ajah
--Blank is the head of the Ajah
--The Bibliophile Ajah. They house the reading challenge for each year. This Ajah looks delightfully chatty, with big long threads. Love of learning is a major tenant of the Ajah, and then the group here is a great place to share about what we've learned.

They've brought over a lot of old threads to the new format in a nicely typical archivist fashion. 
--

:ajahgreen_by_drowelfmorwen-dc43ft0:Green Ajah
--Ryrin is the Captain General of the Ajah
--The focus of the ajah is family and mutual support. Luckily we don't need to fight shadow spawn in Dragonmount! 
--

:ajahgray_by_drowelfmorwen-dc43ft4:Grey Ajah
--The Head Clerk is Elaevia
--Main focus seems to be exploring hobbies in much the same way that Blues explore fandoms. Keep calm, and keep doing hobbies. There's lots of sharing of inspiration here. 
--

:ajahred_by_drowelfmorwen-dc43fsu:Red Ajah
--Torrie is the head of the ajah (or was in 2016. i'm not sure if Torrie still is)
--Red's have a big personality! They seem informal and close knit. I like how the lounge has wait staff, cause it does seem like a group that goes out for happy hour. I put their Hall of Fame thread as the second reference, since they've also gone to the trouble of porting over old threads. It helps keep their personality and closeness strong. 
--

--

:ajahwhite_by_drowelfmorwen-dc43fss:White Ajah
--Mashiara Sedai is the Head Reasoner
--They have a history of promoting fitness and puzzles, which looks so fun. The section of the tower is fairly quiet, but energetic and welcoming.

:ajahyellow_by_drowelfmorwen-dc43fsk:Yellow Ajah
--I'm not sure, but I think Nyneve. she called herself Yellow Queenie 
The feeling I get from the Yellow section is people spreading joy. There's music, taking over the world to make it a better place, cute pictures of animals, and a comfort corner in the public forum. Definitely the place to go to cheer up, and cheer others up. 

Edited by IdleCuriosity

Great job on the ajahs. Yes Nynaeve is the yellow ajah head and Mystica is the red ajah head if I’m correct. 

Edited by Cairos

Alrighty last thing is: 

Part Three: Keeping Up

1) Do you have any questions?
2) Do you have any suggestions on how to tweak this class in the future?

Awesome! I will let the MoN and the MaA about you finishing the class! Great job!