DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
IdleCuriosity

Crafting Circle

It’s sort of hard to say. I like learning new skills and finishing a project. I’m often unsatisfied with my painting in the middle of it but I like it when it’s done.

Creating is a great way to spend your time. You bring something into being that wasn’t there before and is uniquely your own.

I enjoy creating because often it's relaxing and fun. Writing I do because if I don't write it down the stories just won't leave my head. So it's sort of imperative that I write them down. I paint for fun, but also a lot of my medieval works are directly 'for' people in the SCA (Peerage Scrolls/commissions/gifts), so I know that they are going to make someone else very happy, and I like spreading joy through art. So the creation process makes me happy (particularly when it's done and the result looks better than the in-process piece ever does), and then giving it to someone and them being happy makes me happy. ? I create food because I can share the same thing through deliciousness. And I just like playing around with a variety of mediums. Sometimes I see a thing and wonder "Hrmm can I do that?" and I try it. 

My job is on the analytical side, so painting helps me unlock a different side of my personality, maintain some balance. 

Plus, it's fun. Turn a blank canvas into something to look at, to think about, to feel an emotion. 

Compliments from others doesn't hurt, either.

I enjoy creating for that feeling of turning blankness into something. I struggle with depression, and find creating something as a great coping mechanism. When i'm feeling incredibly empty, it helps to show physically that doing one small thing can actually lead to a useful and enganging product. 

I also like to challenge myself to learn new techniques. i'll make things and then donate them or wait for someone to compliment it and then gift it to them. I don't really need seven pairs of gloves or scarves or what not. I just like the process and learning. 

On 11/29/2019 at 7:45 AM, IdleCuriosity said:

I enjoy creating for that feeling of turning blankness into something. I struggle with depression, and find creating something as a great coping mechanism. When i'm feeling incredibly empty, it helps to show physically that doing one small thing can actually lead to a useful and enganging product. 

I also like to challenge myself to learn new techniques. i'll make things and then donate them or wait for someone to compliment it and then gift it to them. I don't really need seven pairs of gloves or scarves or what not. I just like the process and learning. 

I think creating satisfies something deep in the soul.

I’m just getting over a severe sinus infection. Ugh.

Weekend question:

school-books-on-desk--education-concept-871454068-5b548900c9e77c005b04fc8c.jpg

I'm swamped with finals, so education's on my mind

What have you learned through crafting?

about your skill set, how you learn, your personality, the people around you, discoveries you've made through crafting, etc!

Through crafting I have learned a lot about my planning and creative process, what works best for me, and what I can expect from myself when it comes to 'initial visualization' versus final product and how much pre-planning I can do versus how much I need to let my brain improvise in order to come out with a final product that is complete and that I am pleased with. This is true for both my written creations and visual crafts. ?

I also have a huge number of friends who are involved in a variety of crafts (some that match mine, others that are different, but we appreciate each other's work). It describes the majority of my community, family, and friends. Everyone I spend time with creates and crafts in some way. 

I have also learned patience, found mental peace and relaxation, and had the opportunity to apply theoretical art knowledge and enjoy gaining the experience. ?

Thanks! 

So, what creative projects does everyone have lined up so far for this year? 

My first goal is to complete the two scribal commissions that have been sitting on my plate for a while. The research is finally about complete, the texts are written. I'm down to putting ink to parchment and getting them done! 

I was gifted with multiple coloring books so I started on that. My thumb is bothering me but I’d like to take a knitting class at Joann’s. I need a tabletop easel for painting. I was also gifted some brushes, paints, and canvas.