DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

That whole Scorsese/Marvel thing has a new development

imlad

So I'm pretty sure anyone who's a fan of the MCU movies has already heard about Martin Scorsese's comments about how the MCU movies "aren't cinema" and are "theme parks." And you probably know that this sort of started a bit of an uproar online amongst geeks (you don't piss off geeks!), despite a number of actors and directors from the MCU trying to smooth things over.

Well, Marty has now posted an op/ed clarifying his thoughts, and I thought I would share it here for any interested geeks to read and perhaps comment on. I'm going to think on this before posting my own thoughts. There's a lot to chew on here before responding.

EDITed to add: not to insinuate anyone here should be in an uproar or pissed off. Or to try to get anyone that way. ?

Edited by imlad
obvious

" They are sequels in name but they are remakes in spirit, and everything in them is officially sanctioned because it can’t really be any other way. That’s the nature of modern film franchises: market-researched, audience-tested, vetted, modified, revetted and remodified until they’re ready for consumption.

For anyone who dreams of making movies or who is just starting out, the situation at this moment is brutal and inhospitable to art. And the act of simply writing those words fills me with terrible sadness. "

I tend to side with Scorsese here.  I'm not a big friend to "superhero" films and I find myself resisting their pull even as I see most of them and casually enjoy them at some level.