DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[HBO/BBC] His Dark Materials - Season 1

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Krakalakachkn said:

@SinisterDeath how do you feel about Ruth Wilson as Ms. Coulter?

So far I think she's doing decent, but we only really get to see her for the last 10 minutes of the first episode.

It's been absolute ages since I read the books, so I've had to 'google' some stuff just to see if they got things wrong or right. So far it looks closer to the books then the movie!

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Krakalakachkn said:

@SinisterDeathany further thoughts?

I'm a couple episodes behind right now. I left off just as they got the Bear.

So far, I'm still enjoying it.
It's slow moving, which, isn't a bad thing. They are introducing plot-lines chronologically instead of when they happen in the books, which works, albeit ruins some of the surprise at the end of book 1. But it does get other audiences hooked that there's more than just animal familiars that exist in this series.

Can't wait for Wil and the knife.

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

I'm a couple episodes behind right now. I left off just as they got the Bear.

So far, I'm still enjoying it.
It's slow moving, which, isn't a bad thing. They are introducing plot-lines chronologically instead of when they happen in the books, which works, albeit ruins some of the surprise at the end of book 1. But it does get other audiences hooked that there's more than just animal familiars that exist in this series.

Can't wait for Wil and the knife.

Yeah I just finished the same episode.

It's been too long since I've read the books to remember the exact order, but I remember that Lyra meets the Gyptians early on (I think that "war" scene could have been dope) and mayyybe they don't know about what the gobblers are doing in the arctic yet?

1 hour ago, Krakalakachkn said:

Yeah I just finished the same episode.

It's been too long since I've read the books to remember the exact order, but I remember that Lyra meets the Gyptians early on (I think that "war" scene could have been dope) and mayyybe they don't know about what the gobblers are doing in the arctic yet?

It's been quite awhile for me as well. She did meet them early on for sure. Which War scene are you referring to? 
In the books I don't think they know what they're up to, just that they're stealing children. I believe they find out when they get there and discover the children.

Us as the readers/viewers, I think we had an idea of what was going on.

One thing that differs, is when that black guy went to our version of Earth. That definitely didn't happen in book 1... Or I completely missed it. But I do believe the character is briefly mentioned at some point in book 1, and he's involved in book 2 with why Will is fleeing from Earth to that other world.

Word word

Just the fake war between the children of the College and the Gyptian children where they throw mud balls or something.

So far for me it's pretty good and I like the production value.  I'm enjoying it far more than The Mandalorian and far less than Watchmen (to name two current series).  I'm not in love with the Gyptians (John Faa looks kinda like a pimp which is weird) and I felt like they were pretty integral to the first book, but it's notba deal breaker.  I also don't remember adults (especially Ms. Coulter) treating their daemons with such callous disregard all the time.

But yeah, so far I'm still watching it.