DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

14 seasons?

omri

Will WoT keep the GoT structure and make a season per book?

From my point of view there is much more going on in one WoT book than in a GoT book. I'm not sure you can pack it all into one season. However 14 seasons seems like a huge commitment from Amazon prime. 

There are already hints/clues that they won't be trying to keep it to a single book per season.  The chapter titles that have been given so far for season one suggest that at least part of The Great Hunt will be in season one.  To my knowledge, there hasn't been explicit confirmation of this from Rafe or Amazon.

As a diehard fan, I wanted it to be that way (1 book per TV season) through most of the series.  In my mind it would have been perfect to have the first 6 books as 10-12 episode seasons.  Following those, the TV series could condense books 7 and 8, together into a single TV season, then also books 9 and 10 into a single season.  After that middle portion, for books 11 through 14, the TV series would go back to a full season per book.  (The events from the prequel New Spring could be interspersed as flashbacks throughout the early and middle seasons.)

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Captainwilhelm96 said:

But you would have to get around all the internal monologue how many books would that add

You can't portray internal monologue very well on screen. So that'll actually cut a lot out. 
What that leads to, is more dialogue and exposition to replace and expand.

9 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

You can't portray internal monologue very well on screen. So that'll actually cut a lot out. 
What that leads to, is more dialogue and exposition to replace and expand.

But you have to express internal struggle somehow. otherwise you will lose major part of the plot.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:10 AM, SinisterDeath said:

Removing all the braid tugging alone will knock 2 seasons out.

LOL!

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, omrivm said:

But you have to express internal struggle somehow. otherwise you will lose major part of the plot.

Put it this way.

They'll have a hard time showing Nynaeve's block, and her internal struggles, though it's possible.

Even harder will be Egwene's internal monologue.

Perrin's are relatively easy with wolf-dreams, easy enough to have him 'talk to himself' in his sleep.

Rands, is probably the easiest to accomplish with the insanity angle. They could do a number of things, be it someone whispering off-screen, go fight-club. All manner of things.

But generally, most of the internal dialogue we get in the books just doesn't work on screen.

My guess is you get more characters talking to each other, like Thom is probably a good listening character, as is Loial, Egwene is probably fairly easy too and the same as Perrin, both being dreamers. Nyneave and Elayne are probably hardest as Nyneave isn't really a touchy-feely type person and Elayne because she's a princess basically. Although Elayne will get easier after they intro Aviendah, leaving Nyneave but they will have to find a way as her arc of change is one of the best.

The Bowl of the Winds seems there solely to justify the windfinders. I wonder if RJ had more of a plan for them but then realized even he didn't have enough space. Personally, the Coromour would've probably been more interesting than Valan Luca or Gawyn's post tDR existence.

On 11/5/2019 at 2:47 PM, SinisterDeath said:

They could do a number of things, be it someone whispering off-screen, go fight-club. All manner of things.

But generally, most of the internal dialogue we get in the books just doesn't work on screen.

Well, lets hope they will find a clever way, since (at least for me) it is part of the charm of WoT.... a "fight-club" approach could work for rand. but nyneave? I don't think so. and off-screen it also tricky. it could come out as a child book reading or an old detectives movie from the 50s... :)

On 11/5/2019 at 10:57 PM, mistborn82 said:

My guess is you get more characters talking to each other, like Thom is probably a good listening character, as is Loial, Egwene is probably fairly easy too and the same as Perrin, both being dreamers. Nyneave and Elayne are probably hardest as Nyneave isn't really a touchy-feely type person and Elayne because she's a princess basically. Although Elayne will get easier after they intro Aviendah, leaving Nyneave but they will have to find a way as her arc of change is one of the best.

There is a huge difference between the way people talk and think. I will create a "lost in translation" if they will try to "translate" thoughts to discussions.

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking that they may cut out combine a few of the Forsaken - 13 evil characters are hard for most people to keep track of.  The rebirth of Osangar and Arangar may be deemed too confusing.  But they better not mess with the Snakes and Foxes!

I really think the first four books should have a season each, two books each season for books 4-10, then back to a book each for the rest.  The last one or two could even be stretched to two seasons per book.  I mean, if they can squeeze three 3-hour movies out of The Hobbit????

• 1 month later...

If I had things my way, yeah we'd probably get a single season per novel, give or take a few books in the middle that could be condensed into a single season. 

What we'll likely get is 2 books per season, and towards the middle they'll try for 3. 

I have mixed feelings about it, because I don't really want the show to make changes. I want the Wheel of Time, flaws and drawn out plots and all, translated to tv as cleanly and completely as humanly possible. But 12-14 seasons that keeps (almost) everything is basically impossible.

I am also thinking 2/3 books per season.

Season 1: Book 1 and 2 + flashes from New Spring. Great season finale at Falme.

Season 2: Book 3 and 4. Fantastic season finale with fight against Moghedien, fight against Asmodean, and battle at Emond’s Field.

Season 3: Book 5 and 6. Amazing finale with Dumai’s Wells.

Season 4: Book 7, 8 and 9. Aren’t those books the shortest of them all? Great finale with the reveal of Tuon, and of course, the cleansing.

Season 5: Book 10 and 11, maybe with Rands part of 12 (I would love that finale), though this would probably be with more than 8 episodes. Perrin’s getting Faile back hopefully in only one season. Amazing finale with Mat’s marriage to Tuon, The Battle at Malden and Rand’s transformation. 

Season 6: The rest of book 12 + book 13. Finale with the rescue of Moiraine? 

Season 7: Book 14. Tarmon Gaidon. The end. Fewer episodes? 

I guess 7 seasons total.

Season finales sounds very shallow, but it is just my way of saying where the season should end.

Want to hear what others think of this.

I think you're basically right but they'll be some rearranging with I think 8 seasons. You probably adjust the Finn story because you don't hire a near a list actor for Moiraine and have her disappear, They could do what they did in Westworld and use flashbacks for when she's gone.

I think its a bit hard to predict and it will depend on how Rafe likes to finish a series. Does he complete a story each season or leave it on a Cliffhanger. I think we will definitely get into Book 2 in the first season, lets have a look at some natural moments on where to end the first season.

1/ Fal Dara after Fains escape and the party splits up.

2/ Boys leaving Cairhien and Girls leaving Tar Valon

3/ After the battle of Falme

I really don’t think we will get as far as Falme in Season 1, to many important things happen.in the first 2 books to condense them into one season, it will be to rushed, Rafe needs to properly flesh out the characters especially for non book readers.

Even with all the important explanations and things that happen, I still think that they will be finished with book 2 by the end of season 1. To me it sounds like they will start the travelling that happens in book 2 early in episode 6, and there is still a lot of travelling in book 2. I don’t think that much of the travelling will take that much time.

However I seem to have heard that Logain’s part is going to be increased, and I am not sure how that will play in. I also think that there will be flashes from New Spring that may end up taking much time.

All in all I am really looking forward to the show. ?

On 5/25/2020 at 1:09 AM, mistborn82 said:

I think you're basically right but they'll be some rearranging with I think 8 seasons. You probably adjust the Finn story because you don't hire a near a list actor for Moiraine and have her disappear, They could do what they did in Westworld and use flashbacks for when she's gone.

Warning huge spoiler

All the actors are only hired on a season by season basis and her character provides the “Red Wedding moment” for WOT that will leave non Book readers gasping “OMG WHAT JUST HAPPENED“ i’m pretty sure Rosamund is aware of Morraine’s fate and has signed on with that in mind, getting her her to come back anything up to 6 seasons later might be more of a worry.

Hopefully by the time Rosamund leaves, the rest of the main cast will be household names anyway. It’s a very similar situation to Sean Bean in GOT,  get a big name actor, and surround them with unknowns, worked spectacularly well. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2020 at 6:58 AM, Barid said:

I am also thinking 2/3 books per season.

Season 1: Book 1 and 2 + flashes from New Spring. Great season finale at Falme.

Season 2: Book 3 and 4. Fantastic season finale with fight against Moghedien, fight against Asmodean, and battle at Emond’s Field.

Season 3: Book 5 and 6. Amazing finale with Dumai’s Wells.

Season 4: Book 7, 8 and 9. Aren’t those books the shortest of them all? Great finale with the reveal of Tuon, and of course, the cleansing.

Season 5: Book 10 and 11, maybe with Rands part of 12 (I would love that finale), though this would probably be with more than 8 episodes. Perrin’s getting Faile back hopefully in only one season. Amazing finale with Mat’s marriage to Tuon, The Battle at Malden and Rand’s transformation. 

Season 6: The rest of book 12 + book 13. Finale with the rescue of Moiraine? 

Season 7: Book 14. Tarmon Gaidon. The end. Fewer episodes? 

I guess 7 seasons total.

Season finales sounds very shallow, but it is just my way of saying where the season should end.

Want to hear what others think of this.

Love the idea of these combinations. Realistically the show will have to be VERY successful to go this long, and I really hope it is!