DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Be it D&D, Pathfinder, Call of Cthulu, Warhammer (with all the painter figures), or even board games like Catan, What Tabletop game do you play?

Have any cool or interesting stories to share about your sessions that are PG13?

Edited by SinisterDeath

We've been taking too long to play Pandemic: Season One, but I tell you when a particular plot twist hit mid-year I was beside myself, "You have GOT to be kidding me!  WHAT?!?"

when i get more time well i dont mind call of cthulu, and would like to play world of warcraft, but most of all flux, got many a version of flux - very good easy game

I have a massive stack of board games over there -points vaguely- that I'm trying to convince people to play.  The one that I have sitting over there that I really want to try is Tokaido.

When I was in college, we had a regular gaming group who would play things like Axis and Allies, Munchkin, Settlers of Catan, and Dominion, as well as classics like Monopoly and Risk.  Our Munchkin games had several house rules that were specifically targeted at me because I was a complete and utter b***ard whenever I managed to draw the Thief class card.  Turns out that you can continually rob people as long as you have a card to discard, and once you reach level 1 from failing your thievery attempts there is nothing that can happen to you.  My friend added a house rule that if you failed a thievery attempt at level 1, you were out of the game.  Considering that he was looking directly at me the entire time, I'm pretty sure that it was addressed at me specifically.  I spent a few games sitting out because of it, but nobody could deny that it made the games far more entertaining.  In that respect, I think the rule was incredibly successful.

Axis and Allies and Risk were played with various hats.  Due to my fixation on the color red, I always wore a Soviet-era military cap when playing Risk.  (For the record, 'never start a land war in Asia' is amazing advice when playing Risk.  Use Asia as a path towards North America or Europe unless you can Zerg rush an entire continent.  [This is possible if you manage to conquer Australia right away.]).  I don't know if it's because I tended to be an unhinged and unpredictable maniac that I ended up with Nazi Germany in Axis and Allies, but there was a hat for that, too.

(Don't read too much into the hats.  There was also a Half-Life head crab that I wore most of the time because reasons.)

For the Dominion people out there, remember this pain: "Draw a card, play a card, draw a card, play a card, draw a card, play a card, draw a card, play a card, draw a card, play a card, draw a card, play a card, draw a card" ad nauseum.

Apples too apples..with the rigth crowd..enough said lol

I almost failed out of grad school due to Settlers of Catan.

These days I've branched out a lot more.  Here are some recent ones:

Splendor: a card and bidding based game that sees you as a jewel merchant trying to beat out rivals.  

Complexity: ++

Setup: ++

Replayability: +++

Colt Express: this game sees you as a character in a train robbery.  The novel aspect of this game is the narrative structure and how the game story plays out.  Hijinks and shenanigans abound.  No game ever plays the same.  Really fun.  

Complexity: +/++

Setup: +

Replayability: ++

Sabateur: simple card game about dwarven miners trying to find gold...and the sabateur attempting to stop them.  How good is your poker face?

Compexity: +

Ticket to Ride: I never ever win this game that styles players as train barons attempting to cover the US or Europe in railroads.  

Edited by Krakalakachkn

I played Splendor. Fun game. I really want to play Call to Adventure, but am waiting for the Stormlight Archive expansion to drop.

6 hours ago, Krakalakachkn said:

Ticket to Ride: I never ever win this game that styles players as train barons attempting to cover the US or Europe in railroads.  

I like this one more then the Catan. I HATE dice when it comes to tabletop games. (Which is funny cause.. D&D. lol)

Ticket to Ride is simple enough a child/teenager can play it. But complex enough that an Adult can have a hard time with it.

Combine it with Beer, and it can get entertaining.

One time I was playing this with 2 of my Cousins', and one of their friends.
That friend was just hammering back the beers, and instead of even trying to get his route, he just made a Figure 8 in the middle of the damn board! Screwed everyone over! And it was hilariously great!