DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I used to play a long time ago (when it came out in 1996).  I played on and off for years after that, and just haven't found a group to play with.  I sold my cards to buy Pokemon cards for my son, who now barely plays that anymore (grrrrr).

So, yeah.  I love MTG.  I just don't play anymore.

• Community Administrator

Okay, so the other day Wizards of the Coast announced a new Non-Rotating Format to compete with Modern.

Pioneer.

First, two things about this format:

1. This starts at the Return to Ravnicacontent_xlGnhlXqAs__1_.jpg?resize=656%2C300&ssl=1
  2. This is WoTC clearly throwing shade at an earlier fan-made format called Frontier, that started at Khans of Tarkir.

That out of the way, there's a very real scandal about this format launch.

Approximately 10 days before this format was announced, a handful of people started buying up potential high value/staple (must have) cards in this new format. These cards aren't staples in the Modern or Commander formats. They can't be used in Standard. So the shear quantity (several thousand) doesn't make sense. 

Unless these people were given insider information from WoTC about this format so that they can earn some real cash by cornering the market and price gouging everyone. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if MTG R&D staff are taking a % Cut of the profits, if not buying/selling these cards on their own free time.

One could call this... "Insider Card Trading". 

And this is just one of numerous examples of what frustrates me about WoTC with MTG.

• 1 month later...

I'm a recovering Magic player. I've relapsed several times, but have been clean now for four years. I plan on staying that way. Unless I hit the lottery or sell a novel that goes like super bestseller and I'm rolling in millions, then I'm gonna buy 8 copies of every card ever printed (including every version) and laminate half of them for play and put the rest in binders and in storage.. And yes, I mean permanent lamination. They'll be totally waterproof, can play outdoors in the rain, or at the bottom of a swimming pool with scuba gear if I want. And I would even do that to Black Lotuses and enjoy the look on people's faces. Of course, when I would go to tournaments to play I would take the unlaminated copies with me to prove I have them in case people think that whats in the laminate is just a proxy or something. 

But I don't expect that to actually happen. And even if I did end up with that sort of money, and even with those cards, not really sure I'd have the time to get back into the game. It's a timesuck as well as a moneysuck for me. At least if you want to be competitive (which I was for a long time in my area; I was one of the dominant players in mid-Michigan for several years before I quit the second time).