DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I haven't found this anywhere on Dragonmount yet, so I'll share it here. There is some new casting news that I saw in various places around the internet, but the most trustworthy place I saw was an article about it by Adam aka Werthead on his blog (if Adam covers it, I tend to trust it, I've been familiar with him for a long long long time, going back to my RAFO and probably even my wotmania days). It appears that we have Mat Cauthon's parents, as well as a new character with the last name Aybara. Who exactly this new character is... well, that's unclear, and potentially controversial (at least some of the sources I've seen talking about it have called it thus, personally I'm fine with this potential change... I think).

Edited by SinisterDeath

As for a new Aybara, I always thought you needed an actual family member to display with Perrin. He is the only one who's living blood family is never shown and killed offscreen.

I think they have to decide whether Egwene actually has sisters, I mean actually blood sisters, mentioned two or three times but never shown.

My guess is they must also have Elayne by this point, unless they're filming Caemlyn last. I just hope they keep four kings and cast someone good for the thin innkeeper

3 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

It was mentioned in the Tweet section of the website.

Ah, I don't check Twitter often (I only go there usually to send out a Tweet to be honest). Thank you for sharing the tweets (and for moving this thread to where it should be, I didn't look hard enough for the appropriate sub-forum, mea culpa).

2 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

As for a new Aybara, I always thought you needed an actual family member to display with Perrin. He is the only one who's living blood family is never shown and killed offscreen.

I think they have to decide whether Egwene actually has sisters, I mean actually blood sisters, mentioned two or three times but never shown.

My guess is they must also have Elayne by this point, unless they're filming Caemlyn last. I just hope they keep four kings and cast someone good for the thin innkeeper

I agree we should always have seen another Aybara other than just Perrin. Never understood why Jordan never showed us one before Perrin left the Two Rivers. I think it would have made the death of his family more impactful for the readers than it already was (which was still pretty impactful for me ?).

Now if this rumor is true, she is playing either one of his sisters or his wife. If "Leila" is his sister, then she is probably going to have to be a half sister or step-sister, for fairly obvious reasons. And no, I'm not making any judgement calls on this at all (I was one of the ones happy with Marcus Rutherford's casting and was defending it), I'm just stating a practical fact based on how genetics work.

The other option is she is his wife, which is obviously a major change from the book, and is likely to cause some controversy. Now according to a video I just watched from the YouTube channel Wheel of Time Theory, there is a character named Laila in Chapter 32 of The Shadow Rising that Perrin had once considered marrying (Perrin encounters her at the al'Seen farm). I honestly don't recall this, but it seems like it must have been a throw away line, something easily forgotten even after 6 or 7 reads of the book (and as many years).

Either way, this actor is supposed to be the woman seen at the table read sitting on Marcus' right.

• Community Administrator
56 minutes ago, imlad said:

Ah, I don't check Twitter often (I only go there usually to send out a Tweet to be honest)

If you scroll all the way down on DM, it shows DMs Twitter feed. So you don't have to actually go to Twitter. ?

@imladMy guess is sister or girlfriend, maybe like Egwene was with Rand because as much as some dislike her, Faile is fairly important to the series and essentially ties the borderlands to the Dragon. Now I think all the web of interconnections like the Seanchan, the borderlands and the rest are going to be sped up and brought into the open so Faile will be extra important there. The only way I see her being his wife is if she dies on winternight or shortly before Faile.

2 minutes ago, mistborn82 said:

@imladMy guess is sister or girlfriend, maybe like Egwene was with Rand because as much as some dislike her, Faile is fairly important to the series and essentially ties the borderlands to the Dragon. Now I think all the web of interconnections like the Seanchan, the borderlands and the rest are going to be sped up and brought into the open so Faile will be extra important there. The only way I see her being his wife is if she dies on winternight or shortly before Faile.

The death of his wife/gf could also be the cause for the wolf dreams to start. Maybe Noam, with same kind of trauma, could replace Hopper as Perrin's teacher. It would make Perrin's struggle against the wolf side also more emotional to maybe see her dead ex there and angry Faile in the waking world. 

Dunno, might be good tv. 

I always wondered if they would have any of Perrin's family there.  I mean, I know he's living with the Luhhans while under his apprenticeship, but his family does own a farm in the Westwoods, and it doesn't make sense for none of them to be in Emond's Field for Bel Tine.  So maybe they will introduce some of his family, and let the viewers get to know them a little.  I mean, in the books his family is barely mentioned, and the reader doesn't know them at all, so it's hard to feel any real connection they you find out they all were , not the way you would feel if Tam or Bran died.  And it's the same with Mat's family.  You never see them until his sisters end up at the White Tower.  All you really know about themis that he calls his father Da.  

Edited by Dagon Thyne

3 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

If you scroll all the way down on DM, it shows DMs Twitter feed. So you don't have to actually go to Twitter. ?

Well, I um... I ah... err... that is... um, see, I...I don't um...check DM everyday either ???

2 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

Yeah, everyone I'm seeing that suggests she's his wife also suggests she gets killed during the attack Winternight. And she'd have to be a sister (half or step) or wife to have his last name, unless some sort of cousin totally unmentioned in the books (as if a wife wasn't unmentioned either!).

I'm better it's a sister.  He does have several.  Maybe she is visiting for Bel Tine and to see him.  They could have her be killed during Winternight, which wouldn't change anything since his entire family ends up dead when the trollocs attack a year or two later.  So having one of them die early and be introduced would be ok.

I find it rather unlikely that they'd cast a young white actress with no other TV credits to her name to play an Aybara family member. If they were expanding on Perrin's family, the logical choice would be to cast a biracial actor to play his siblings, or older actors to play his parents. That along with her being named Laila is strong indication she's meant to play his wife.

Where the story goes from there is up to debate. Seeing how this actress has the scantest resume, I'm inclined to think her character isn't meant to be kept around long. 

Even if she is his wife or quasi-promised, like Egwene and is killed on winternight, I still think he needs some other family, like a sister or parent to show in flashbacks. A significant other who is killed immediately leaves us with the same problem of not knowing any of Perrin's blood family.

• 1 month later...