DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Grayt Recipe Book II

THE GRAYT RECIPE BOOK

kissclipart-recipe-clipart-cooking-for-k

Welcome to the Grayt Recipe Book! We at the Gray Ajah love to cook and bake to our hearts content.

We put our love into what we make and for the people who we make it for.

Please come and share a recipe or two so that we can enjoy what you love to make.

Japchae (Sweet Potato Starch Noodles/Glass Noodles with Stir-Fry Vegetables)

Ingredients

(serves 4):

• 4 ounces beef, filet mignon (or pork shoulder), cut into ¼ inch wide and 2½ inch long strips
  • 2 large dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 2 to 3 hours, cut into thin strips
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 ounces spinach, washed and drained
  • 4 ounces of dangmyeon (sweet potato starch noodles)
  • 2 to 3 green onions, cut crosswise into 2 inch long pieces
  • 1 medium onion (1 cup), sliced thinly
  • 4 to 5 white mushrooms, sliced thinly
  • 1 medium carrot (¾ cup), cut into matchsticks
  • ½ red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (optional)
  • ground black pepper
  • salt
  • vegetable oil

Directions

Marinate the beef and mushrooms

1. Put the beef and shiitake mushrooms into a bowl and mix with 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sugar, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil with a wooden spoon or by hand. Cover and keep it in the fridge.

Prepare the noodles and vegetables:

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the spinach and blanch for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then take it out with a slotted spoon or strainer. Let the water keep boiling to cook the noodles.
  2. Rinse the spinach in cold water to stop it from cooking. Squeeze it with your hands to remove any excess water. Cut it a few times and put it into a bowl. Mix with 1 teaspoon soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Put it into a large mixing bowl.
  3. Put the noodles into the boiling water, cover and cook for 1 minute. Stir them with a wooden spoon so they don’t stick together. Cover and keep cooking for another 7 minutes until the noodles are soft and chewy.
  4. Strain and cut them a few times with kitchen scissors. Put the noodles into the large bowl next to the spinach. Add 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Mix well by hand or a wooden spoon. This process will season the noodles and also keep the noodles from sticking to each other.
  5. Heat up a skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 teaspoons vegetable oil with the onion, the green onion, and a pinch of salt. Stir-fry about 2 minutes until the onion looks a little translucent. Transfer to the noodle bowl.
  6. Heat up the skillet again and add 2 teaspoons vegetable oil. Add the white mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Stir-fry for 2 minutes until softened and a little juicy. Transfer to the noodle bowl.
  7. Heat up the skillet and add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil. Add the carrot and stir-fry for 20 seconds. Add the red bell pepper strips and stir-fry another 20 seconds. Transfer to the noodle bowl.
  8. Heat up the skillet and add 2 teaspoons vegetable oil. Add the beef and mushroom mixture and stir fry for a few minutes until the beef is no longer pink and the mushrooms are softened and shiny. Transfer to the noodle bowl.

Mix and serve:

1. Add 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, and 2 teaspoons of sesame oil to the mixing bowl full of ingredients. Mix all together by hand.

***This recipe is a time consuming dish but very delicious. You can substitute the potato starch noodles with any type of noodles like spagetti or ramen noodles. Potato starch noodles are hard to come by.

• Cairos pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a good stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving? I always make the same one, and thought I might spice it up a little this year or maybe make two..?

• 1 month later...

Ohhh you’re right. With the egg make it into a thin omelet. After that slice it thin.

• 1 month later...

I am so happy the Grey Ajah cookbook is still a thing. 

@Cairos! You better get your ass back in here!

Edited by Millon
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had to post this here because it was just amazing. I love to bake cheese cake. It's one thing I know will be grand slam when I bake it. Friend of mine had a birthday about a month back and she is not a fan of birthday cake and jokingly said "I'd much rather have cheese cake than cake any day." SO I said *to myself* I'm makin a damn cheesecake! WHooooo!!! Went out and bought said fixins to make said cake not really thinking things through that my new place IS A DAMN OVEN! It's been so hot! I don't want to bake a damn cheesecake in this!! But, I had already bought the stuff so I have to. How can I make this simpler? Mini cheese cake cups! So I started fishin about lookin for different things to do. Now, my batter is pretty lemony to begin with. I like to use a generous amount of lemon zest in it. That's about as much flavoring as I like in a cheese cake. I like cheesecake with toppings instead of an actual flavored cheese cake. 

I found a cheese cake cup recipe that made things a lot simpler. So, using a cupcake tin and cupcake liners would make travel and serving so much easier and shortened the bake time. First, instead of having to crush graham cracker crumbs and melt butter and mix and press into each paper lined cupcake I just used a vanilla Oreo. Fits perfectly in the bottom of the cups. Time saved in the steadily warming kitchen as the oven comes to temp. lol 

Then I tried my hand at a lemon curd for the first time. Like, the filling of a lemon meringue pie. It was so good. I just out a dollop of the curd on top of each cheesecake, after they'd cooled. Then I remembered I had some blueberries and raspberries that I was using for my smoothies, so I put two raspberries and two blueberries on top and they looked beautiful. The end product was just so damn tasty! Really one of the best deserts I'd ever made. 

This is the basic filling recipe. The lemon curd recipe called for 6tbsp lemon juice so I used the zest of one whole lemon. About 1 Tbsp lemon zest in the batter.

• 16 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 F

Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners

Place 1 vanilla Oreo in each cup (or other cookie of choice. A Nilla Wafer would probably work great too. So long as it's a round cookie that fits)

In a medium sized mixing bowl, with a hand mixer or use a stand mixer, blend the softened cream cheese until soft and creamy.

Add eggs one at a time blending them into the batter. 

Then add the sugar and vanilla and mix on medium speed until smooth. 3-5 minutes. You may think the mix is set to go before three minutes is up but don't stop until you've mixed at least three minutes. Give those eggs a chance to get a little fluffy. 

Then drop two healthy Tbsps of batter in each cup. I used a cookie scoop to portion the batter

Then bake for 18 minutes or until the batter is set. 

Set aside to cool on a cooling rack. 

Lemon Curd

1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon zest
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons water
6 egg yolks lightly beaten
½ cup butter cut up

Separate the yolks from 6 large eggs and whisk with a fork lightly until combined

In a small bowl whisk together the sugar and cornstarch 

In a medium sauce pan combine the zest, juice and water

Add the sugar and cornstarch to the liquid and cook over medium to low heat until bubbling and starting to thicken. It may happen quickly. Remove from heat.

Whisk in half of the hot liquid into the egg yolks SLOWLY whisking constantly.

Then add the yolk mixture back to the remaining wet ingredients in the sauce pan. Again stirring constantly.

Return pan to the heat and cook for another 2 minutes stirring gently throughout.

Remove from heat and stir in the cut up butter until it melts and is completely incorporated. 

Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

Chill for at least an hour. (Curd can last up to two weeks in the fridge).

To serve:

remove cheesecake cups from tin. 

It's optional to remove/keep the wrappers on the cheesecakes

put a heaping tablespoon of lemon curd on top of each cake. Spread slightly but not to the edge. 

Place two red raspberries and two blue berries on top.

Be fancy AF and dust with icing sugar

Be even more FANCY AF and add a mint leaf or two. 

Stuff the whole thing in your mouth because you;ve given up dignity long ago. 

Enjoy. 

• 1 month later...

Cross's slow cooker taco soup.

(Lovingly stolen from the browns)

taco soup

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, with juice
1 (15 ounce) can corn, with juice
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
1 cup water
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
tortilla chips
Directions:

Brown beef and onion in a skillet. Drain.
Dissolve taco seasoning in the water. Combine all ingredients except cheese and chips in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Edited by Lavandula
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Phaedra said:

I noticed there were several sweet threads pertaining to months, and I thought, with Autumn fast approaching in the northern hemisphere, I would revive the spirit. I'd like to know what dishes/foods/flavors are reminiscent of Autumn to you.

For me, Autumn is about those warm, comfort foods. Yes, I do associate Autumn with pumpkin flavors, even though I'm not big into the flavor myself. Soups and stews, creamed corn...all things that just feel like Fall to me. Let me share with you my favorite creamed corn recipe!

dnv7XUT.jpg

Ingredients (serves 12-15)

(apologies to those who use different measuring systems)

4 pounds frozen sweet corn

2 8 oz blocks cream cheese, diced into 1 inch squares

1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

4 tablespoons of granulated sugar

1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (optional, which I don't do, but always leave it in in case I want to give it a try)

Directions

Throw all the ingredients, without any sort of ceremony or circumstance, into a crockpot on medium or low for at least 4 hours. If you need it done faster, cook it on high in the crockpot, but be prepared to sacrifice a little of the savory goodness that results when corn is allowed to soak in dairy for hours. All of the cream cheese pieces should be completely melted and will easily break down and combine with the cream and butter to make the ‘gravy’.

Do not over-salt. There is plenty of salt in the butter and cream cheese. Over-salting will ruin this dish.

• 1 month later...

Easy peasy homemade jello candy

1/2 cup of consentrated juice

1 cup of water

6 ts gellatine powder

Heat up juice and water. Add gelatine powder and stir until all is dissolved. Pour into a big square food container, and put in fridge till ready gello. Cut in squares and serve.

If you wanna be fancy roll the squares in sugar right before serving (if you do it to far in advance the sugar will melt). Bon appétit!

Triple Fudge Brownies

1 pkg pudding mix (small size)

1 chocolate cake mix

1 bag chocolate chips

Make pudding according to directions. Whisk in cake mix. Stir in Chocolate chips. Pour into 9X13 greased pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. 

wow. that recipe looks amazing! im making it.

Edited by StarRisk
wrong post! oof!
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TARTE TATIN

tarte-tatin-502b8b9.jpg?quality=90&webp=

Ingredients

- 300 g all-butter puff pastry

- plain flour, for dusting

- 6 dessert apples (about 900g/2lb), such as Braeburn, Cox’s Orange Pippin or Adam’s Pearmain

- 100 g golden caster sugar

- 85 g unsalted butter (60g/21/4oz chilled and diced, 25g/1oz melted)

- crème fraîche (full-fat please!) or high-quality vanilla ice cream, to serve

STEP 1

Roll the pastry to a 3mm-thick round on a lightly floured surface and cut a 24cm circle, using a plate as a guide. Lightly prick all over with a fork, place on a baking sheet, then cover and freeze while preparing the apples.

STEP 2

Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas. Peel, quarter and core the apples. Put the sugar in a flameproof 20cm ceramic tatin dish or a 20cm ovenproof heavy-based frying pan and place over a medium-high heat. Cook the sugar for 5-7 mins to a dark amber caramel syrup that’s starting to smoke, then turn off the heat and stir in the 60g diced chilled butter.

STEP 3

To assemble the tarte tatin, arrange the apple quarters very tightly in a circle around the edge of the dish first, rounded-side down, then fill in the middle in a similar fashion. Gently press with your hands to ensure there are no gaps. Brush the fruit with the melted butter.

STEP 4

Bake in the oven for 30 mins, then remove and place the disc of frozen puff pastry on top – it will quickly defrost. Tuck the edges down the inside of the dish and, with a knife, prick a few holes in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake for a further 40-45 mins until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.

STEP 5

Allow to cool to room temperature for 1 hr before running a knife around the edge of the dish and inverting it onto a large serving plate that is deep enough to contain the juices. Serve with crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream.

For best results, cook a day or two ahead and keep in its pan or dish in the fridge, then reheat in the oven for 20 mins at 150C/130C fan/gas 2 an hour before serving (but don’t heat the crème fraîche, please!). Turn out to serve as above.