DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WOT as a movei would u watch it

keith allen

Ok guys this is my first thread so dont make fun of me... any way i just wanted to no if they made WOT into a movei it would be like 6 hours long now idk about any of u but i would sit there till it was over would any of you be there with me to watch it from start to finish tell me hear lol..

from keith

While we're on the topic of movies what do you think of the following cast list. I admit that I think about this way too much and my choices my change next week but this is what I've got at the moment. I understand that for financial as well as artistic reasons that some roles would need to be given to unknown actors. However, its no fun to cast characters as unknowns so I look at this a more of a fantasy cast (in the same vein as fantasy football), so basically when casting each character I ask myself "if this particular character were to be played by an already fameous person who would it be?" I do for the most part try to avoid "Movie Stars" and pick alot of small screen stars who I think deserve a shot at the big screen and/or semi-unknown actors. So here goes:

Rand: Hayden Christensen (Star Wars)

Mat: Josh Holloway (Lost)

Perrin: Tom Welling (Smallville)

Egwene: Mila Kunis (That 70's Show)

Nyneave: Leah Remini (King of Queens)

Moiraine: Emma Thompson (Remains of the Day)

Lan: Hugh Jackman (X-Men)

Thom: Sir Ian McKellen (Lord of the Rings)

Elayne: Kirsten Dunst (Spiderman)

Min: Natalie Portman (Star Wars)

Avihenda: Kaylee DeFur (The War at Home)

Verin: Jane Leeves (Fraisier)

Bayle Domon: John Rhys-Davies (Raiders of the Lost Arc)

Vanin: Michael G. Hagertly (Wayne's World)

Mattan Stephanos: Brian Doyle-Murray (Christmas Vacation)

Paden Fain: Christopher Walkin (The Prophecy)

Lanfear: Demi Moore (A Few Good Men)

Grendael: Megyn Price (Grounded For Life)

Asmodean: Allen Rickman (Harry Potter)

Sammael: Kenneth Branagh (Frankenstein)

Be'lal: Christopher Lee (Star Wars)

Mesanna: Gates McFadden (Star Trek TNG)

Aran'gar: Angalina Jolie (Tomb Raider)

Elaida: Anjelica Houston (Ever After)

I've often wondered the same thing. I guess what I would ask is; if the WOT movie came out and was similar to the way THE LORD OF THE RINGS was done (mostly accurate, but differed in certain details that drove fanatics crazy) would you still like it?

I mean would you be able to put aside certain incorrect aspects to enjoy the rest of the movie? Or would you be that fanatic that demanded everything book wise or else you would rebel?

Myself, I loved LOTR, both the books and the trilogy from New Line. And I feel that likewise I will be able to enjoy WOT as a movie. I would just have to block out and ignore the parts that lacked coherence with the books.

Of course this is all a lie if they make Lan Asian of something...jk :wink:

Guest Stefania Sedai

To Leopold, you have put a LOT of thought in this and I only have to disagree with one. Dunst would not make a good Elayne in my opinion. I picture her as more of a young Reece Witherspoon. But I love Leah Remini as Nynaeve and Hugh Jackman as Lan.

I've often wondered the same thing. I guess what I would ask is; if the WOT movie came out and was similar to the way THE LORD OF THE RINGS was done (mostly accurate' date=' but differed in certain details that drove fanatics crazy) would you still like it?

I mean would you be able to put aside certain incorrect aspects to enjoy the rest of the movie? Or would you be that fanatic that demanded everything book wise or else you would rebel?

Myself, I loved LOTR, both the books and the trilogy from New Line. And I feel that likewise I will be able to enjoy WOT as a movie. I would just have to block out and ignore the parts that lacked coherence with the books.

Of course this is all a lie if they make Lan Asian of something...jk :wink:[/quote']

I'm not one of those people who expects the movie adaptation of a book to be word for word accurate. You can't condense hundreds of pages into a couple hours without making some tough story choices. As long as the spirit of the story was intact, and the movie was generally well-done I would be perfectly fine with it. As an example I wasn't particularly pleased with the changes made to Faramir in the movie...but I understood the need to give the character a journey in order to make him less one-dimensional than his book version.

I'm not one of those people who expects the movie adaptation of a book to be word for word accurate. You can't condense hundreds of pages into a couple hours without making some tough story choices. As long as the spirit of the story was intact' date=' and the movie was generally well-done I would be perfectly fine with it. As an example I wasn't particularly pleased with the changes made to Faramir in the movie...but I understood the need to give the character a journey in order to make him less one-dimensional than his book version.[/quote']

I agree. Aragorn not wielding Anduril from TFOTR was what got to me. But I understand how it made for a good climatic decision making moment for Aragorn in ROTK.

I’m not saying a movie should be word for word, that would just be impossible. But more of the little things like Faramir taking Frodo and Sam back to Gondor, or Aragorn not having an army with him when he went through the paths of the dead. Things that were skipped or changed.

RJ is an amazing writer, and a lot his details end up supporting huge events later on. But then again, there is too much detail in one WOT book to put into a movie. So would WOT’ers find enjoyment while skipping through many of the scenes we’ve all come to love? Just pending the question, I think I would be able to accept it if the parts that were included were done well.

I think that's the core of why so many people are so unaccepting of movie adaptations of their favorite books. Everyone has beloved scenes but you just can't fit it all in. I'm quite disappointed that Tom Bombadil didn't make it into the LotR movies at all but it's quite a few pages of fluff that does nothing to further the story until they leave and it's easily fixed by having Aragorn give the hobbits their swords. It's adjustments like that which are necessary to make the movie something that someone who wasn't previously a WoT fan can sit through.

As much as I love to see my favorite fantasy books brought to life on the silver screen, making WOT into a movie while staying even remotely truthful to RJ's masterpiece would be near impossible I think. Consider even one book - Eye of the World for example (seeing as it comes first): Can you imagine that fitting into even 4 hours, let alone 2-3? I can't: to much happens - beyond that, too much of later importance happens.

Now, what could conceivably happen is to have someone make WOT into a TV series - sounds weird, but hear me out. Each season would consist of the standard 15-25 episodes, each being an hour long (HBO style). That would turn what was otherwise 4 hours (conservatively) of rushed screen time into 15-25 hours on television spread over several months. We'll soon have precedent for this as well: George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" will be made into an HBO TV series with similar paramters. I believe the first series is slated to air in 2009.

Rand: Hayden Christensen (Star Wars) *shudder* unless his acting improves greatly I would not want to see him in WoT.

He can only act dark and brooding, and he goves over the top on even that.

I could accept a true to the spirit of the books movie of the Wheel of Time. But I would be happier if they did a series.

If any of you watch Battlestar Galactica you know what I mean. Wonderful acting and a large budget so rarely go hand in hand in a Science Fiction series but they did it wonderfully for BSG.

If they could do that for WoT and follow it all the way throughas acuratly as possible I would be happy.

To Leopold' date=' you have put a LOT of thought in this and I only have to disagree with one. Dunst would not make a good Elayne in my opinion. I picture her as more of a young Reece Witherspoon. But I love Leah Remini as Nynaeve and Hugh Jackman as Lan.[/quote']

Thank you, I'm glad you like my choices for Nyn and Lan.

Well what can I say, I've been reading this series for over 13 years now and have found myself involved in this conversation several times. Honestly, I always had alot of trouble casting Nyn and then just a few months ago a happened to see an Episode of "King of Queens" (I had never even seen the show before) and when I saw Remini's performance I though to myself "Now that is Nyneave." It almost seems as though the role of Nyn was writen for her.

As to Kirsten Dunst I respect you opinion but I think that alot of people are down on her in general because she has taken some silly roles in movies such as "Drop Dead Georgous", "Dyck" and (groan) "Bring It On." However, I think most people have forgotten about her early work in movies such as "Interview With the Vampire" and "Little Women" in both of which she was absolutly brilliant. I really think that people underestimate her as an actress and that she really has not yet had the opportunity to show her true range. Then again Elayne seems to be a rather unpopular character among WOT fans so maybe the role wouldn't help her case much :?

BTW: I have actually considered Reese Witherspoon as Elayne and while I love her as an actress and think she is beautiful I just can't picture Elayne with Reese's short and stocky frame. To me Elayne must be tall and thin. I would love to see Reese involved in a WOT movie if one is ever made but unfortunatly she is too stocky for Elayne, too feminine for Min, to pretty for Grendael and too young for Morgase (not to say that Megyn Price isn't pretty or Natalie Portman isn't feminine, but to put Reese in a movie and not fully essentuate her beauty and femininity would be a complete waste). Siuan perhaps? It would be kind of fun to see her made up to look "more handsom than pretty" in the fist few books and then bring her out in her full Reeseness after Siuan is stilled.

Note: I know I spelled Dyck wrong but on my first attempt to post I spelled in right only to find in replaced with the word "Cheyne. :roll: " C'mon now moderators I know it can be used as a naughty word but it can also be a man's name.

And btw - Sir Ian McKellan as Thom would be BRILLIANT!

Thank you. I consider Sir Ian to be one of the greatest actors of our time and I think it would take that to pull off the role of Thom. Having been involved in quite a bit of theater myself I can tell you that Thom would be a very difficult role to tackle. On one had he can be courtly and charming but on the other he can be a contancerous old coot. Covering that dynamic would be quite a challenge for any actor and I'd say the Sir Ian is one of the few who could pull it off.

Rand: Hayden Christensen (Star Wars) *shudder* unless his acting improves greatly I would not want to see him in WoT.

He can only act dark and brooding' date=' and he goves over the top on even then[/quote']

I understand your concerns, however, Christensen's acting did improve by leaps and bounds between "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith." If this trend continues he should be able to pull off the role. While I think he would do a good job as the dark, brooding Rand of the later books I do have some concerns over whether he would be able to pull off the innocent farm-boy Rand of the earlier books.

Now' date=' what could conceivably happen is to have someone make WOT into a TV series - sounds weird, but hear me out. Each season would consist of the standard 15-25 episodes, each being an hour long (HBO style). That would turn what was otherwise 4 hours (conservatively) of rushed screen time into 15-25 hours on television spread over several months. We'll soon have precedent for this as well: George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" will be made into an HBO TV series with similar paramters. I believe the first series is slated to air in 2009.[/quote']

I actually like that idea alot. The only problem I can see it that it is a twelve book series and even the best, top rated shows rarely see their 12th season. Usually, the public either looses interest or the actors decide to move on to something else long before the show reaches its 12th year. Therefore, I think trying to do one book per season would be a mistake. However, if it was done in hour long episodes and it was given the standard extended season which typically consists of 26 episodes they could easily do two books per season (13 hours should be more than adequate time to cover one book). That would give the series an expected lifespan of six seasons which is about the adverage for a sucessfull show. If after that point the public still demands more there is always "New Spring" and God willing by that time there will be two more prequels and a few outtrigger novels. I could really see them covering TEotW, TGH and the first few chapters of TDR all in season one as I think a great season one cliff-hanger would be when Moiraine, Perrin and Co. wake to find that Rand has disapeared.

hey that does sound awsome i think it would be an awsome HBO seiries but it would prolly take a long time to make lol and idk how long i could wait if they anounced it hey i hope more ppl hit this thread so we can gets some major views talk to u all soon i hope

from keith

Excellent idea Leopoled - any HBO producers reading this? :D

Thanks Vaapad, but it was your idea I just tweeked it a little.

Anyway, so what are the chances of this actually happening? The way I see it a big part of it will depend on whether or not "Song of Fire and Ice" is successfull (aka a money maker) for HBO. If it is then other networks will certainly want to cash in on the trend and will begin adapting other fantasy series into TV programs. Moreover, the success of SoFaI will likley prompt HBO to adapt other fantasy series. Given that WOT is one of the more popular fantasy series some network surely will opt for it. The only problem I can see is that given Robert Jordan's current condition networks might be reluctant to commit to WOT before the series is completed. However, I believe that he first season of SoFaI is scheduled for 2009 which is also the projected release date of AMoL, thus that shouldn't be an issue. So here's to hoping SoFaI is a success.

I would NOT see it' date='unless I made it myself 8)[/quote']

Well then either sh!t of get off the pot!!! :lol:

Somebody's gotta make this thing and do it soon before my cast choices get too old (I'll admit that the window of opportunity is closing quickly for some of them).

??????

What did I say?? Why does anybody ''gotta'' make this thing?? Why can't they just leave a good story alone?

And why oh why would you want to cast famous or known actors and actresses for this.

This is my opinion,respect it,or get off the pot yourself!

About Ian McKellan:he's had his chance,did he not? He already played in one of the greatest sories of all time,and my image of gandalf will never be what it was... (as the white wizard I thought he looked phony)

Haydn Christensen...mmmnot only can he act only dark and brooding,he can't act! I yet have to see him do something real good to convince me.

This thing is not about personal preference. It's about who would do a good job.

I would look for an all-new-talent casting,if it HAD to be done.

Archived