DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Sign in to follow this  
Cairos

The Meadow - Home of the Cavalry Warhorses

This is the thread for all those within the  Cavalry who are of the rank Lieutenant and above who have a named horse. It is to collect information about each Horse, and to show to new recruits and lower ranked Regimental members what can be obtained on reaching the rank of Lieutenant.

In this thread, please include the following:

- the name of your horse
- an approximate date when your horse was named
- picture(s) of your horse
- a description of your horse, including breed
- tempament of your horse
- why you chose that particular kind of breed
- anything else of relevance

This post is being kept open, so when you have done your information on your horse, please post it here. Any posts that aren't describing the horse and their history will be deleted by the Cavalry Mods immediately.

Thank you.

Name: Mr. Ed
Weapon: War Horse of the Cavalry
Date of Acquisition: 3RD JUNE 2005

Rider:  Corki

370202-bigthumbnail.jpg

Description

Mr. Ed is a grey Arabian Horse, a colour quite rare for this breed since they are usually bay or chestnut. Standing at just under 15 hands tall, he is a fearsome creature, sending fear into his enemy. Arabian Horses are said to be brave, spirited and intelligent - all 3 qualities that Mr. Ed possesses, which makes him a feared warhorse. His bravery means he isn't afriad of anything; his spirit means he is ready for anything the enemy may throw at him; his intelligence allows him to get used to his surroundings quickly, and extremely alert. Arabians are known to be "hot-headed". However, with several months of training behind them, and many more in the future, rider and horse are becoming one, making them a deadlyteam.

As an Arab Horse, Mr. Ed has a small head with concave profile, large eyes to help him see. and small muzzle. His neck is arched, his shoulder sloping, wit a strong level back, his hindquarters and legs are strong. His tail is carried high. He is fast and has a free action, plenty of stamina, making Mr. Ed ideal for the battle ground.

Why an Arabian Horse? I chose an Arabian as they had all the qualities I was looking in my Warhorse - the grey colour coat; an intelligent horse; a horse with a fiery temper; a tale horse. Everything, and more, that a leader could want.

Mr. Ed does seem a strange name for a horse, but that was the winning option as chosen by the Cavalry and the Band of the Red Hand at his naming ceremony. Corki's enemies may laugh at the name before a battle, but once the battle is over, it is no laughing matter anymore. When Mr. Ed is in full flow, it is a sight to behold - a marvel of this world.

Note: Horn has two horses because the Cavalry presented him with a second horse while he was a member of the Senior Staff.

Name: Maestro
Date of Acquisition: 1 November, 2005

Rider: FHorn of Valere

147-roosterprof5.jpg

Description

Maestro is a dun colored Andoran Quarter Horse. He is larger than the average horse at 17 hands, and is very well trained. He will not let anyone handle him unless they are obviously well trained in horse care, or it is during a battle. The only exception is if I give him the nod for OK, or sometimes he will let the rider on and buck them off to teach them a lesson. He is a good natured horse which likes to play jokes on me- he will come when I whistle, but if he senses it is not a dire situation, he will just trot right on by and run to Sheli since I made the unfortunate mistake of trusting my sugercube stash to her care!

His body parts are all normally proportioned, and apart from being large and well trained, he is a normal horse.

I chose him as my horse because I didn't want the stereotypical fierce black stallion, and dun really goes well with my orange.

Name: Nocturne
Date of Acquisition: 6 March, 2007

Rider: FHorn of Valere

bs_Igor_MD1-BU.jpg

Description

Nocturne, a Black Freesian, was given to me as a present by the Cavalry during the closing ceremony for the Feast of Lights, the Band's first Festival. Nocturne is all black except for a small silver diamond shaped patch of fur on her chest. That fur is a result of a tattoo ter'angreal which we both share which gives me the gift of empathy with my horse, almost the same as a Bonding. Nocturne is 14 hands tall and specializes in her swiftness.

Name: Maestra
Date of Acquisition: 1 February, 2006

Rider:  Elyssa

See picture of Maestro.

Maestra is Maestro's twin only cause I wanted the same horse as my warder. She is smaller than her brother but looks the same other than that. She is gentle and she will let you scratch behind her ears but you can't ride her if I tell her it's okay.

Name:  Nightfire

Weapon:  War Horse of the Cavalry

Date of Aquisition:  1 January 2006

Rider:  Goldeneyes05

51Zl5lRmrwL._SX425_.jpg

Description

night fire is an arabian black with a very bad temper he allows few men alive to ride him he his prideful and arrogant standing 16 hands tall he is very fast with a good wind to him. I chose arabian because they are very strong willed and very loyal to those who befriend them i chose a black one cause it looks good with my golden armor.

Name: The Rusted Alloy

Date of Aquisition: 16 July 2006

Rider: Steel Axe

OTMR550x400.jpg

Description

Rusty Alloy is an American Quarter Horse, about 15 hands tall. He isn't the fastest horse, but one of the quickest. I chose him because of he is the reddest and meanest horse I've
seen.

His personality is mostly Anti-social with homicidal tendencies. He likes to go hunting and has killed his fair share of Trollocs. Rusty doesn't play well with others, but understands the chain of command. Be careful trying to touch Rusty since I have to tell him you are ok and shouldn't be killed.

Name: My Little Pony

Date of Aquisition: Unknown

Rider: Razz

I can't remember what my horse looked like. *frowns* I do remember her name - My Little Pony.

NAME: DESTINY
WEAPON: Warhorse of the Cavalry
NAMING: Sept. 8th 2006

Rider:  Auld Manriva

Tobias.jpg

This is a 6 Year old Friesian gelding. Friesians are always black, with only a small white star allowed. He is 16 1/2 hands at the shoulder. They range in size from 15 1/2 to over 17 hands.Their mane and tail are only brushed and combed, never clipped or docked

The Friesian Horse is the Destrier, the Warhorse, of the 13th and 14th century Continental Knights. They were used extensively in the Cavalry units of Europe. The Breed originates and is mainly bred today in Frisia in the Netherlands, though they are also bred in the United States and Australia. The generally recognized best still coming from the Netherlands. They are somewhat smaller now than they were then, as they have no need to carry large men with 60 pounds of armour any longer, and were reduced in size for the
more agile cavalry units which came later. The breed is a Warmblood and and they are excellent saddle as well as driving horses.A six horse team of Friesians pulling a wagon is an amazing sight to see. As is a rider putting one through it's paces in Dressage competion. They have a distinctive high stepping front action and the ground they cover with the drive from the rear is enormous and breathtaking to see.

Name: Fluffles

Date of Acquisition: July 28, 2006

Rider: Froix

Fluffles.jpg

Description

Breed: Appaloosa - Famed for its intelligence, speed, stamina, and endurance, it is an outstanding stock and show horse of great popularity.

Height: 14 hands

Weight: 1,100 lbs

Name: Black Fury

Naming Date: October 2, 2006

Rider: Katiora

horse.jpg

Description

Breed: American Mustang

Description and Temperment: Black Fury is about 16 hands tall and around 1150-1200 lbs. He is completely black In temperment he is a lot like me... attracted to walls, mostly good natured but a little crazy at times, and extremely loyal.

Name: Shadowlover

Date of Aquisition: 4 August 2006

Rider: Twinflower

myhorsenightmare.jpg

Description

Shadowlover is a Friesian Stallion, standing at 17 hands. He is the traditional black with the flowing mane and tale, warmblooded in tempermant. I choose him for his beauty, size and an tempermant. He is mated to my Arabian Mare Buttercup. He is protector and partner.

History and Origin of the Breed

The Friesian Horse originated in Friesland, one of twelve provinces of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (Holland), situated in the northwest of Europe. Friesland is an old country dating to 500 B.C., when the Friesians settled along the cost of the North Sea. They were tradesmen, seafarers, farmers and horse breeders.

The Friesian horse descends from the Equus robustus. During the 16th and 17th centuries, but probably also earlier, Arabian blood was introduced, especially through Andalusian horses from Spain. This has given them the high knee-action, the small head and the craning neck. Because of his temperament the Friesian horse is considered warm blooded. The Friesian horse has been kept free from influence of the English Thoroughbred. During the last two centuries it has been bred pure. Breeding horses and dealing in them was
very important for the Friesians. The monks in the many monasteries in Friesland before the reformation did a lot of horse breeding. Through the centuries the Friesian Government has made many regulations in order to safeguard good breeding. Now the Dutch Horselaw of 1939 (modified) gives rules for studbook and breeding.

From records of the past we know that the Friesian horse of old was famous. There is information from as early as 1251 and there are books in which Friesian horses were mentioned and praised from as early as the 16th century.

Armored knights of old found this horse very desirable, having the strength to carry great weight into battle and still maneuver quickly. Later, its suppleness and agility made the breed much sought after for use in riding schools in Paris and Spain during the 15th and 16th centuries. Before an elegant carriage this breed has few rivals, and throughout Europe the royal courts used them as coach horses.

An excellent trotter, the Friesian was used for racing short distances in Holland, the winners being awarded silver or golden whips. Today in Friesland there are may carriage events and often the sjees, the Friesian form of the chaise,are seen. This unique two-wheeled cart may be drawn by one or two horses, and aboard are a gentleman and a lady dressed in the traditional costumes of the 1880s. The sjees is one of the few carriages in which the driver is seated on the left; his lady occupies the right-hand side, the place of honor. Four-in-hand carriages are common and as many as ten-in-hand can be seen in front of light carriages. These large, unusual hitches used for demonstration purposes are becoming very popular. The Friesian people take great pride in the natural ability of their black horse in harness.

Name: Aragorn
Date of Acquisition: 16th November 2006

Rider:  Bridmorgan

dutchwarmbloodstallion.jpg

Description

Aragorn is a 17 hand, bay Dutch Warmblood stallion. He was given to my by my beloved brother and sister on the day of my Knighting.

Characteristics of the Dutch Warmblood:

Dutch Warmblood horses average about 16.2 hands with some reaching 17 hands. Coat colors are chestnut, bay, black or gray with white markings often on the face and legs. The head is well shaped, usually with a straight profile, and the neck is arched and well muscled, merging neatly into the withers, which are fairly prominent. The back is straight and fairly long, with the croup short, broad and flat. The tail is set high. The chest of this horse is deep and full and the shoulder is well sloped. The legs are strong with a long forearm. Hind quarters are powerful and highly muscled, a characteristic inherited from the original and powerful farm horses of the Netherlands and a feature necessary for strong movements.

Sport Horse
Dutch Warmbloods are bred to perform in dressage and show jumping at the highest level. These horses are appealing modern horses, with great eagerness, reliability and
intelligence.

I choose the Dutch Warmblood for it's loyalty, athleticism, intelligence, and ability to do almost anything. Besides...they're gorgeous!

Name: Little John
Date of Naming: 12 December 2006

Rider: Uasal Arach (K'Jar)

clydes3.jpg

Description

He is an 18 hand Clysdale from Scotland. In the Middle Ages this breed of horse was used as both a draft and war horse. They are very strong but also have a gentle temperment. I chose this breed because of their size and because of where they origonate.

Name: Halo
Date of Aquisition: December 2006

Rider: Angyl

White_Arabian.jpg

Description

Halo is a white Arabian, standing at 15.5 hands high. Arabians have a reputation for intelligence, high spirits, and outstanding stamina; and Halo is no exception.

Name: Orion
Date of Aquisition: 2 October 2006

Rider: SoB

paint.jpg

Description

Orion is a Tobiano Paint Standing just shy of 15 hands tall.  Aside from his beautiful markings, his breed is prized for their athletic ability, and agreeable disposition.  He is fully trained as a warhorse and while quite spirited, he is generally easy natured

Name: Storm Dancer
Date of Naming: 4 March 2007

Rider: Jon the Direwolf

DJFreisian1.jpg

Description

Storm Dancer is a Fresian Gelding that stands at 16 hands. The Fresians were bred in the middle ages as war horses for knights, but now are bred a little smaller and come mostly from the Netherlands. His temperament is a lot like mine, loves to run free, is very fast and loyal too. I choose this breed because of the size, appearance, temperament and agility. Storm Dancer also knows how to handle his bandy just like me.

Name: Sir Bunyan
Date of Naming: 16 July 2007

Rider: Dicetosser1

DicesHorseBunyan.jpg

Description

Bunyan is a 17 hand, black and white pinto Dutch Warmblood. The pinto coloring is a rarity in Warmbloods and prized for their striking patterns.

Characteristics of the Dutch Warmblood:

The Dutch Warmblood averages 16.2 hands but can reach up to 18 hands at the withers. An eager, reliable, and intelligent breed, these horses were bred to be first class dressage and show jumping horses, but
do well in pleasure and almost any kind of riding. Its coat can be chestnut, bay, black, or grey with white markings. Dutch Warmbloods are known for their enormous scope for jumping. Many Dutch Warmbloods are seen at Class A hunter shows all across the United States. Many champion hunters in the United States are Dutch Warmbloods. Stallions have to pass rigorous tests to be bred. They are judged on temperment, athletic ability, aptitudes, and intelligence as well as conformation and movement.

Descendants of the powerful farm horses of old, this breed makes a magnificent Warhorse, due to it's athleticism, strength and intelligence.

Its more a case of the breed fitted the horse then me choosing the breed.

The main thing to remember is that Sir Bunyan (Bunyan for short) and I are a team of equals and our bond allows us to pretty much read  each others minds and moods. He can be moody at times

Name: Queen Spamalot
Date of Naming: 12 October 2007

Rider: Stefaniasedai

Description

Andalusian horses have been esteemed for their quality and appearance since Roman times. In the Middle Ages, he Andalusian was the favored mount for European nobles. The Andalusian was a major influence on the Lipizzaner breed in the 1500's. More recently, it was used as a cavalry mount.

Physical Description

Queen Spamalot has a distinguished appearance, appearing fair in color but with a dark patch upon her right hind leg. She is a compact horse with excellent proportions, standing just shy of 15 hands. Her mane and tail are abundant.

Andalusians as a breed are renowned for their ability to learn and a superb temperament. Queen in particular possesses a calm, contented humor,seeming to wait placidly for her rider's command and to flow seemlessly from rest to action. In battle, however, she is relentless, pursuing a goal with marked endurance and focus.

Name: Star Dancer
Date of Aquisition: 29 April 2008

Rider: Mayleigh

stardancer.jpg

Description

The Irish Draught horse is the national horse breed of Ireland which developed primarily for farm use. Today, they are especially popular for crossing with Thoroughbreds and warmbloods, producing the popular Irish Sport Horses.
The breed was bred to be docile, yet strong. They were required not only to perform the farm work of pulling carts and ploughing, but they were also used as riding and hunt horses, and during the Great European Wars, as army artillery horses.

The Irish Draught Horse is an active, short-shinned, powerful horse with substance and quality. It is proud of bearing, deep of girth and strong of back and quarters. Standing over a lot of ground, it has an exceptionally strong and sound constitution. It has an intelligent and gentle nature and is noted for its docility and sense

Name: Argent
Date of Aquisition: 5 February 2008

Rider: Horus the Silver

iDSC00025.gif

2400-1225White-Horse-Posters.jpg

Description

Argent is a Lipizzaner stallion averaging 15.5 hands tall and is extremely powerful. He is very intelligent and moves with grace and balance, even more so than most horses. Also a very proud horse, he likes only the best of everything from tack to food. Argent insists on 2 to 3 grooming's a day, so he can always look his best for all the mares.

Name: Raven
Date of Aquisition: 20 February 2008

Rider: Taluka

percheron.jpg

Description

I have chosen the Percheron to ably carry me into war. The Percheron’s ancestry comes from the middle ages and is said to have been a cross between the forest horses of northern Europe and those from Arabia brought to Europe by the Moors. (Taken from Wikipedia, ‘cos I can)

My War horse is a black, well muscled 18hh Percheron stallion. He has no markings on his body, legs or head. His black mane and tail are long and shiny and when we ride he loves to throw his head back and raise his tail to show off his pride and joy. He is a bit of a smart ass, loving to play jokes on me and others, but when the need arises he is
as serious and hardworking as any Knight’s mount can be. He is a randy little fella also and likes to chase the laaaadies.

Name: Tai'shar Eireannach
Date of Naming: 1 December 2008

Rider: Felicur

album2.jpg

Description

Irish Draught Horse

16.3 h.h

Black with white marking on face and back right hind leg.

He's docile, but proud, powerfully built and of a good gentle nature.  Oh, and very found of bandy! grin.gif

Irish Draught Horses are generally used for farming as they are big powerful horses, that are extremely active and used to everyday rigours.

Name: Storm Rider

Date of Naming: 25 August 2008

Rider: Cairos

orlov-trotter-01-2.jpg

Description

The Orlov trotter is the oldest and most popular “stud” breed in Russia. Orlovs are not as fast as the Standardbred and French trotters, but are more robust, massive, endurable, sure-footed, strong, and tough. Their trotting action is more impressive. Orlovs are extremely valued in Russia as ameliorators of local breeds.

Name: Avenger

Date of Naming: 5 March 2009

Rider: Imperium

Horse.gif

Description

Avenger is a baroque style Friesian, that is heavily built and stout, just like a good warhorse should be.

Avenger like his name suggests is quiet aggressive in nature and temperament (remind you of someone..) and seems to prefer riders of the same nature. 

Name: Fenrir

Date of Naming: 8 April 2009

Rider: Baby Fark McGeeZax (D'Sage)

Description

Fenrir is a wolf bay Andalusian stallion, and stands at 16 hands in height.

The Andalusian breed is believed to date back to prehistoric times. In Spain, they were chosen as mounts for their noble features. Their ancestors were often the choice mount for some of histories greatest warriors. They are known to be very versatile; and strength, athleticism, impulsion and kind temperament are fundamental characteristics of the breed.

Fenrir is proud but docile, sensitive and intelligent, responsive and cooperative. He must be treated with respect and care. He also enjoys rum and sailing.

Sign in to follow this