DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
JamesBrown

Maera's WT/DM Class

Welcome, @Maera

This will be your personal class as you become acquainted with the White Tower. Your mentor, @Taymist will guide you as you explore both the Tower and yourself.

Best regards,

JamesBrown

Sword Captain

Thank you, Sword Captain!

Greetings @Maera, lovely to meet you. :smile: Welcome to Dragonmount and to our beloved White Tower. You are now officially a Red minty...so exciting! *claps*

*places a coronet of red carnations and gypsophila on Maera's head*

Now, you may call me Tay. Before we embark on learning about the wonders of the Tower and all of its occupants, why don't we start with you telling me a little about yourself, your Wheel of Time journey and what brought you to DM? 

Thank you both for your prompt welcome Captain @JamesBrown & Blademaster @Taymist,

Very happy to be here.

I am 30 years old and am currently on my first read of wheel of time (currently book eight).

I had always looked at the covers as a child and wanted to read it one day, and next thing you know twenty years have passed. It is never too late! I am from the state of Victoria in Australia, and whilst I enjoyed the typical fantasy a child enjoys (CS Lewis, JK Rowling etc) I did not explore adult fantasy until the last couple of years, and am completely hooked. Outside Wheel of time I enjoy crocheting, reading, learning and singing.

I came here after looking to see what communities existed surrounding it and how I could participate. I also thought it would be a good opportunity before the show is released to get in touch with other readers as I fear in a few years time, it may be harder to see all the silverpike for all the blood and heads bobbing on the surface (as a certain Amrylin would comment).

I am looking forward to the Journey, I think this series will now just be part of who I am, as I am sure many other people have found. I find myself putting myself in the characters shoes when something in my life seems challenging, as it makes my problems seem quite minuscule. It also provides wonderful quotes, friendships, Moralistic lessons and is at the depth it could be a religion in itself.

Talk soon, looking forward to learning more.

(you will also have to explain to me what a red minty is, as I am new to Fantasy aside from a bit of gaming, so am quite 'office' and formal in how I type and have not navigated around a forum board for years, so I apologise in advance for any social cringe or head shakes I cause 😉 

Maera

I'm so jealous of you having your first read now! I started reading from the first publication date here in the UK and, like so many others at DM, had lengthy waits for each book to be published. I'd love to be able to experience the entire story all at once as people can now, and to read it with fresh eyes again. All shiny and new!

Don't worry about the formal typing, I think many of us have gone through that process. We're very lucky in having a wide range of ages here at DM so not all of us grew up with text speak and knowing what the "in" phrases were. You'll do grand. 

A minty is an affectionate term. I'm your mentor, you're my mentee aka minty. As I'm a Red Aes Sedai, you've just become one in a long line of Red Mintys. :laugh: That doesn't make you Red of course, but it does mean you'll always have a special place at the Red Ajah, wherever you end up deciding is home. The Blues are going to be thrilled to hear you like J.K. Rowling by the way - they adore all things Harry Potter, and usually host a HP week every year. 

Another tip - many of us belong to multiple Clubs at DM and have staff titles or earned ranks from our participation there. I'm in the Band of the Red Hand and that's where I earned my Blademaster title. Here in the White Tower, it doesn't apply per se. You'd address me as Tay Sedai here, if you need to use a title. But just Tay is all that's needed, we aren't overly formal. :smile:

I'm so happy to hear you like crochet. I'm a crochet and knitting addict myself and it's lovely to have something in common already. We also have a fairly established groups of Aussies here at DM and I'm sure you'll get to meet them in the coming weeks. 

Now, let's get you started on your first lesson! 

You can take as long as you need over answering these questions. The aim is to make sure you understand some of the important information around the Tower. Pinned (or sticky) threads always denote that the contents are vital and you'll find them on almost every Club board at DM.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. If you hover your cursor over my name, there'll be a little pop up box with various links, including one to send me a message. You can do that any time you like if there's something you prefer not to post on the public boards, ok? 

*hands over some cherry pies for sustenance*

You can copy and paste the questions into your own post and edit it as you find the answers. Please tag me formally once you've completed this task so I know you're all done.

Part One: The White Tower

1)What are members of the WT/Warders expected to do?
2)What is the Code of Conduct, and how does it apply to you?
3)What in the heck does PG13 mean?
4)What is Thread-Hijacking and Spam, and what is the general policy of the WT/Warders regarding that? 

Oooh a Red Minty!

I mean to say ... welcome to the White Tower and Warders, Maera!

I'll be hovering around because I'm bored ... I mean because I love to see what the minties are up to. You're in very very capable hands, though, so have fun!

Thankyou @Elgee, nice to meet you!

Thanks again Tay, sounds like we will have plenty to discuss!

Will get to the lesson sometime today :) Talk soon

Maera

@Taymist

1)What are members of the WT/Warders expected to do?

‘offering people of varying common interests - related to the books or otherwise - a chance to find their niche with like minded people in one of the Ajahs or the Warders guild

To me, this means to provide a fun social environment for other fans of WOT and to help them connect to others with similar interests.

2) What is the Code of Conduct, and how does it apply to you?

The Dragonmount code of conduct is an additional method on top of DM rules that ensures members are contributing appropriate content that does not break the DM rules. It involves a point system in which the most amount of warning points given is two, with the user being banned after three points (lesser points will incur moderation of the users post for either 2 or 30 days depending on the number of points given). It applies to me as I am a member of dragonmount and will use this as a guide to ensure I am conducting myself appropriately.  

3) What in the heck does PG13 mean?

Generally speaking, it means that the content posted on dragonmount is age appropriate for those as young as thirteen. This makes sense for this website, as WOT has a very wide audience of different ages. PG 13 can be difficult to encapsulate and there may be themes that are of a more mature level than PG13 however they are not themes that are sustained or focused on (eg sexual themes and violence). As it can be a grey area, I think it is important all members take responsibility for what they choose to post.

4) What is Thread-Hijacking and Spam, and what is the general policy of the WT/Warders regarding that? 

“Off Topic: self-explanatory - going off the theme of a topic.

Spam: depends on where you are, but most commonly means "a large volume of inane posts in a thread/area where such is not wanted". There are almost no true spam thread at the WT/Warders, apart from the Moat thread.

Thread-Hijacking: where 2 or 3 people monopolize a thread for more than just a few posts, usually going off-topic. This is not to be confused with a discussion topic where only a few people happen to be participating, or a Bonding thread where obviously only the Bonding pair are initially going to be posting. We're talking about having a "private" conversation where no-one else can really join in, and/or ignoring everyone else who also have a right to post in that thread at that time. If you've done more than a page of this, likely you're hijacking a thread. (Moat thread excluded)”

In general, Dragonmount expects it’s users to be wary of these things becoming common behaviour and that it may differ depending on what board you are on, however I will respect any feedback or instruction if told so by any full ranking member or higher ranking member.

@Elgee, I apologise for not addressing you by your title previously Mother, I was still navigating the website and failed to take everything in. 

Well done, that's nicely answered.

The first question was looking more for what the members are expected to do i.e. what our purpose or role is, rather than what the White Tower is here to provide. The shortest answer is that we are here to Serve and part of your time as an aspie (Aspirant) is to find where you can do that best and in what capacity. :smile: 

Speaking of being an Aspie, you are allowed to post in the Aspirant Quarters board up there ^^^ too. Activity is limited to the aspies themselves and the White Tower staff. That's Kaylee, Elgee & James currently as our Keeper just stepped down and that position hasn't yet been filled.

Ok *showers you with red confetti and hands you a strawberry daiquiri* it's all going well so far! Time for visiting! Here's Part 2. Ready, set.... GO! 

Part Two: The Subgroups

What we normally recommend is that you start a post in this thread and, as before, go back and edit it over time. That the format is as follows:

[Ajah/Guild Name]
--[Who is in charge]
--[general focus, if there is one]
--[link to relevant post #1]
--[link to relevant post #2]

Rinse and repeat for at least 5 of the 8 Ajahs and the Warders' Guild.

Now, I'm going to definitely recommend you make the most of a visit to the Warders' Guild because, even if you end up eventually choosing an Ajah, you may require the assistance of a Warder in future! Added to that they're all just rather lovely people so if you choose that route, it's handy to already know people there.  And look out for Bob, he's very fond of eating random aspies.

sf-dance.gif

On 10/18/2019 at 3:57 PM, Maera said:

@Elgee, I apologise for not addressing you by your title previously Mother, I was still navigating the website and failed to take everything in. 

No worries! We're not THAT formal here 🙂

@Taymist

Brown Ajah

- Leader: Blank

- Focus: Learning, gaining knowledge traveling and learning of other cultures and skills..and BOOKS!

Links:

https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/58889-the-brown-ajah-library/

Gray Ajah

-       Leader: Elaevia

-       Focus: ‘the Gray aim to create a tranquil haven from the outside world’ according to their leader on a post, and goes on to say that they are generally very crafty and ‘doing’ people. I had a look and they are always gardening and crafting, looks like great fun!

Links: https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/107612-let-your-creativity-run-wild/

Green Ajah

-       Leader: Ryrin

-       Focus: the Battle ajah! However unlike the books, for Greens it is not necessarily a physical battle but also emotional and like a real family, they are there for one another

-       https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/101117-the-green-biography-thread/

-       https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/107694-what-does-your-ajah-mean-to-you/

Yellow Ajah

-       Leader: Nynaeve

-       Focus: Well the book ajah are healers, and have read some comments from yellows that they are helpers and healers and generally sound like they are there to listen, although from their boards they seem a playful lot!

-        https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/107695-what-does-your-ajah-mean-to-you/

-       https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/107493-yellow-empire-world-domination/

Red Ajah

-       Leader: Mystica

-       Focus: Independent and passionate people who are able to overcome obstacles. The reds seem cheeky, playful and confident, and unlike the ‘book reds’ there isn’t man hating, which is great! And a very wise teacher commented on one of these posts that reds stood for ‘true passion’ and complete equality

-       https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/100435-welcome-to-the-red-ajah-learn-all-about-us-read-before-posting/

-       https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/107692-what-does-your-ajah-mean-to-you/

Warders:

Leader: JamesBrown

Focus: “Just as in the books, the Warders here are men and women who live to serve and protect. The difference is a change of focus. Instead of dedicating our lives to an individual, first and foremost we serve the White Tower by protecting it and all of its members against all possible threats” – JamesBrown

-       https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/107640-welcome-to-the-warders-guild/

-       https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/107696-what-does-your-discipline-or-what-does-being-a-warder-mean-to-you/

Yeayyy, well done minty mine. I thought I'd replied here already, sorry for the wait! Good job. Hope you've found that process helpful to at least get a little feel for the different groups and finding your way around the Tower. :smile:

Final part!

Part Three: Keeping Up

1) Do you have any questions?
2) Do you have any suggestions on how to tweak this class in the future?

That's okay @Taymist, good things come to those who wait!

Hmm lets see

What is the general process for us now that we have completed this to join an ajah? (I understand this will take time and happy for it to, just curious as the general average time)

I see there is some kind of semi-regular roll call, how often are we needed to check in, and do we just check in under the white tower or several posts?

In regards of what to do differently, I think perhaps maybe we could include some information/questions about other clubs so aspies can get a rough understanding of the other clubs and what they are about (although I am sure general curiosity will see most aspies doing this anyway)

Otherwise, thankyou for ALL your help and making me feel very welcome 😄 💐

You are most welcome, lovely! :happy: 

Your next step will be to choose your path ... Warders or Aes Sedai. I'm not sure after that how long your requirements will take because I don't yet know what's involved in them. I do know from my own time doing them that everyone is different and it will, partly, depend how much time you put into it. I'll report that you've completed this class and we'll take it from there.

Roll call is posted monthly on the main White Tower board. It's the only place you need to sign in to be an official WT member. Once you join an Ajah, it's possible they might have their own roll call just to see who's around at any given time.

Clubs don't generally include questions about other Clubs on an official basis because members here may not be members elsewhere. It could also be seen by the leadership of other Clubs as stepping on their toes. The best way to find that out is simply to join the other Clubs and ask the actual members/staff. :smile: Or to ask your mentor. :wink:You can join and leave Clubs at will so you're not committing to anything until you wish to do so. In fact, you don't even have to join in order to read their posts and find out more about them. You can simply click on a Club title and explore the boards. Joining is only needed if you wish to post.

Wonderful, thankyou -

I would like to choose the Aes Sedai Path 🙂

Not here. :smile: Patience, toots. I should have been more specific but I thought you'd maybe have seen Lava's thread. Kaylee or James will start a graduation thread for you in the Hall after one of them has approved this thread as complete. I've PM'd them both this morning.

No worries :)

Thankyou I was not sure!

On 10/26/2019 at 1:48 PM, Maera said:

Wonderful, thankyou -

I would like to choose the Aes Sedai Path 🙂

We'll just pretend we didn't see this.

*Cheers silently.*

😇

*hides embarrassed* lol.

23 hours ago, Taymist said:

:rolleyes: Naughty, Mumsy lol. :laugh:

Always *grins*

Don't mind us, Maera - it's all the snugglebites that make us a bit ditsy 😁

Ok Maera, we've hit a slight hiccup. My fault. I misunderstood what was required with the links for Part 2 as well or I'd have explained it more clearly. Here's an updated edit to the description of what's required.

* We also ask that for the Guild, you go into the focus of each Discipline. The who, spam, and posts can be for the Guild as a whole.

* This part should take the longest as it is the most "work heavy". Therefore if they want to do it in parts or whatever that's fine -as long as all the information is there.

For the Ajah/Warder visits, please have the newbie link to their post where they introduced themselves to the sub-group and engaged in a discussion. The intention is for them to learn more about the group, not just quickly jump in, say Hi, and bow out. It's possible that a new member may have already decided which group they wish to join, and so they race through the other groups as a mere formality. This is especially true for those who may think that the Ajah here at DM is identical in role and outlook as the Ajah as described in the books. We all know that they aren't, and we want to make sure the newbie understands that too. Otherwise, they may be frustrated that the group isn't to their liking and cause disruption.

Your link to the Grey's thread for example is great because you jumped in and participated with some of your own work, but the two Green threads you linked don't show any posts from you. Can you just run through and check the ones you've posted for participation and/or update as necessary?

Sorry for the confusion, lovely.  

Oh apologies @Taymist I just saw this, will get onto it soon 🙂

I have a little more time the next few days @Taymist so should be able to catch up!